Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 02:47 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

Wynn Resorts founder: 'Nobody likes being around poor people'

Another arrogant, egotistical remark by one of the ruling class looking down on us plebes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 04:22 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,221 times
I think what he was trying to say was that the ultra rich do not like being around the pathological envy & jealousy they are exposed to when poor people are around.

It is much easier to enjoy the kind of money he has in the absence of being reminded that many other people have far less.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:47 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,069 times
From your same article, OP:

Quote:
In fairness to Wynn, however, the incendiary line does not represent the full context of his remarks.

This company caters to the top end of the gaming world," he said. "We're sort of Chanel or Louis Vuitton, to use the comparison, the metaphor of the retail business. But unlike Chanel and Louis Vuitton, we are able in our business to cater to all of the market. By making our standards so high . . . that everybody wants to be in the building."

"Or to put it in a more colloquial way, rich people only like being around rich people. Nobody likes being around poor people, especially poor people. So we try and make the place feel upscale for everyone. That is to say we cater to people who have discretion and judgment and we give them a choice and we are consistent in that."
So the article you posted says that the line was taken out of context, and then goes on to illustrate what he was getting at. What do you do? Take the line back out of context and make a thread about it to start a social class debate. Lol.

He said "Nobody likes being around poor people, especially poor people". This is absolutely true. When I was growing up, it was everyone's dream to get out of our neighborhood and go live across the city with the rich people. It's depressing being around poor people all the time. Rich people never drove through our neighborhoods, and why would they? Our standard of rich was someone with a newer-model Benz on rims. If you don't understand what he meant by this statement, then you've never actually been poor OR you've never experienced luxury things in life (such as flying first class overseas or staying in a world-renowned hotel). After you do those things, it'll be depressing going back to your shamble of a life. Trust me.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:17 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
From your same article, OP:

So the article you posted says that the line was taken out of context, and then goes on to illustrate what he was getting at. What do you do? Take the line back out of context and make a thread about it to start a social class debate. Lol.

He said "Nobody likes being around poor people, especially poor people". This is absolutely true. When I was growing up, it was everyone's dream to get out of our neighborhood and go live across the city with the rich people. It's depressing being around poor people all the time. Rich people never drove through our neighborhoods, and why would they? Our standard of rich was someone with a newer-model Benz on rims. If you don't understand what he meant by this statement, then you've never actually been poor OR you've never experienced luxury things in life (such as flying first class overseas or staying in a world-renowned hotel). After you do those things, it'll be depressing going back to your shamble of a life. Trust me.
Good for you.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
He should really speak for himself.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:29 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
So what. Birds of a feather and all that.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:34 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Maybe a poor word choice, but he's right. That is his business model and it works for him.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:39 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
whine, cry, **** and moan, i'm so poor, rich mans got his boot on my neck, never got no break,you owe me blah blah blah ad infinitum.... Makes me sick hearing it I can't stand poor people either...........

Old 04-07-2016, 06:42 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Is this about the new lake he wants to build in Vegas, in the desert in the worst water shortage in history? Cause you know, rich people don't want to swim with the po folk at Lake Mead.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:44 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,660,771 times
What happens in Vegas, STAYS in Vegas.

Except herpes...

That stays with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies