Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 07:08 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
At the point when Z threatens T with force, which must be known to T, and Z is in the proximity to commit such force.

Showing his gun would qualify but did Z show his gun?

Carrying a gun does not qualify because the fact Z having a gun would not be a known fact to T.
That's why I encouraged everyone to look at the video of the re-enactment in my post #152. He thought the phone was in his pant's pocket not his coat pocket. When he reached for it, he may have made the gun visible because on the video you can see the gun, I believe. Also, we have only him to believe that he wasn't reaching for the gun from the moment he encountered Trayvon near or in the alleyway. If he was so afraid of Trayvon that he rolled up his windows when Trayvon approached his truck, why would he reach for his phone and not his gun when he encountered him in a dark alley-way?

Old 07-04-2013, 07:10 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
If Zimmerman is acquitted of all charges what is stop anyone who is losing a fight from shooting their opponent? Doesn't make sense.

First of all, you can't be the one starting the fight. Meaning, you can't provoke the fight. You walk in a bar, say to three guys "hey, let's go outside." Once outside, you proceed to shoot them when you start to lose the fight. This is a classic second degree murder.

Secondly, we aren't legally allowed to use force against another human UNLESS we reasonably believe that we are in the imminent danger of gravely bodily harm or death. There are thousands upon thousands of cases about this. There's not much argument on this either.

The line of self-defense is never blur. It may seem blur to you because you aren't very versed in this area.

Again watch the video in Post 46.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 07-04-2013 at 07:22 PM..

Old 07-04-2013, 07:12 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
That's why I encouraged everyone to look at the video of the re-enactment in my post a page or two earlier. He thought the phone was in his pant's pocket not his coat pocket. When he reached for it, he may have made the gun visible because on the video you can see the gun, I believe. Also, we have only him to believe that he wasn't reaching for the gun from the moment he encountered Trayvon near or in the alleyway.

Post #152
You have very good imagination.

This is not a case about whether or not Trayvon is guilty. So your speculation doesn't help anybody. Remember the court deals with facts, not speculation.

Even let's say that were true and Trayvon somehow got up from his grave, stood in front of the jury and testified this to be true. It still wouldn't help the prosecution because:
1. Trayvon seeing the gun was not a known fact to Z.
2. Z only knew Trayvon attacked him for no reason.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 07-04-2013 at 07:21 PM..

Old 07-04-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
First of all, you can't be the one starting the fight. Meaning, you can't provoke the fight. You walk in a bar, say to three guys "hey, let's go outside." Once outside, you proceed to shoot them when you start to lose the fight. This is a classic second degree murder.

Again watch the video in Post 46.
In florida you can, under certain conditions.

Florida Statutes (Fla. Stat.)

Title XLVI. Crimes.

Chapter 776: JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE

776.041 Use of force by aggressor.—

The justification described in the preceding sections of this chapter is not available to a person who:

(1) Is attempting to commit, committing, or escaping after the commission of, a forcible felony; or

(2) Initially provokes the use of force against himself or herself, unless:

(a) Such force is so great that the person reasonably believes that he or she is in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm and that he or she has exhausted every reasonable means to escape such danger other than the use of force which is likely to cause death or great bodily harm to the assailant; or

(b) In good faith, the person withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:18 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
You are armed. Someone punches you, knocks you down and starts swinging at you. How long, legally, should you have to wait before shooting your attacker?
That's for the jury to decide.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:29 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
So they couldn't shoot you. In some of his versions, Zimmerman said he started reaching into his pocket for his phone, maybe in doing that he revealed the presence of the gun.

That's another thing that should be made clear. Where exactly was the gun holster, exactly on the right hip, a bit behind it. How much of the gun could you see if it's in the holster?

When he does the re-enactment is that his gun in the holster at one point when he lifts his shirt up a bit?
It is at about 5:32 on this video.

George Zimmerman Reenactment Of Trayvon Martin Shooting (Part 2) - YouTube
As dark as it was that night (some reporter went there at night) I don't see how it would be possible to see a holstered gun. Even if we assume that you see someone's gun you don't have the right to attack them and if that is what happened, well, it turned out to be a stupid decision.

So I stand by my earlier comment that it makes no sense to fight someone that you know has a gun. Fighting with somebody that has a gun is almost as stupid as ripping off a drug dealer.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:31 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Or bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:31 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
As dark as it was that night (some reporter went there at night) I don't see how it would be possible to see a holstered gun. Even if we assume that you see someone's gun you don't have the right to attack them and if that is what happened, well, it turned out to be a stupid decision.
The sight of a gun will make all sensible people stop what they are doing and make a hasty retreat.

There is no way Trayvon could have seen that gun as dark as it was that night with the rain and clouds.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
The sight of a gun will make all sensible people stop what they are doing and make a hasty retreat.

There is no way Trayvon could have seen that gun as dark as it was that night with the rain and clouds.

Zimmerman made a point of saying that Trayvon had his hand in his waistband when he was circling Zimmerman's truck. Isn't that hand in the waistband a sign that someone has a gun? I'm not saying Trayvon had a gun, but that Zimmerman may have thought he did.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:39 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
I see the speculation continues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies