Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 11:45 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
American culture, like our language, our traditions. American culture isn't "white" however, we inherited a lot from the British, but also from the blacks, and whether people realize it or not, the Indians. Indians gave us corn -- and we use a lot of corn. Canoes, and the whole Teddy Roosevelt type conservation where there was a respect for wide open spaces and nature.

Imagine if whites could have reservations and could kick everyone else off them?
Indians are no threat to "American culture" (whatever the hell that is).

And whites have already had reservations. It was called The Rest of America."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 11:47 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Genocide? Making people speak the main language AND follow our rules in a country like English in the US or Spanish in Mexico is genocide? Sheesh!
Don't be coy. The post that I responded to wasn't about language, it was about taking on American culture. Context is everything when reading and responding on a forum. Stripping Indigenous people of their culture ("Kill the Indian, save the man" was the slogan in the US in the era of forced assimilation) is a form of genocide. Prohibiting them from speaking their language, as was the policy in Indian boarding schools historically, is part of that.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Of course any non-Indian who is truly upset about his or her ancestors coming here, is free to move back to wherever it was that they came from. That might require some honesty however.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:02 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Other than me having this unusual thought of putting whites on reservations, whites should be made into slaves too, so they'll know what it was like to be people of color...oh, wait, whites were slaves, those danged Brits. They want to control the world.

Since whites now fear they'll be a minority someday, anything is possible in the future, we might not be around to see whites enslaved or on reservations, but it could happen. Demographics change through time.
The Irish Slave Trade
I'm aware of what happened to "my people". We as a group also ROSE above being "shanty Irish". Time for other groups to now step up.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I see it's time again to re-post one of my favorite political cartoons from NDN Country:
I guess you don't know American Indian history. Word was the AI groups did the SAME things to different tribes before 1492 but that now Ok? Sheesh!

Old 07-13-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Don't be coy. The post that I responded to wasn't about language, it was about taking on American culture. Context is everything when reading and responding on a forum. Stripping Indigenous people of their culture ("Kill the Indian, save the man" was the slogan in the US in the era of forced assimilation) is a form of genocide. Prohibiting them from speaking their language, as was the policy in Indian boarding schools historically, is part of that.
It really doesn't matter in 2013. Few American Indians under about age 50 today even speak any language but English and as more and more AI's WANT to join our main culture, they're "killing off" the old ways on their own. Tho as malamute said: some AI things HAVE become part of OUR American culture.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Of course any non-Indian who is truly upset about his or her ancestors coming here, is free to move back to wherever it was that they came from. That might require some honesty however.
Or some American Indian; finding out his DNA is "Asian", wanting to "move back" to Asia?

If us "anglo whites" and "Hispanics" tried to "move back" to Europe with OUT their permission: there'd be some wars. AI's: if they wanted to head "back" to Asia; same things would come down. American Blacks: same thing; the Africans would probably say "don't come here".

Old 07-13-2013, 01:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Yeah...and Europeans were whacking each other off in the tens of millions as late ad the middle of the 20th Century. Long after Indians had internecine wars.

So I sure as hell don't get the relevance about what Indians did to each other.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:12 PM

733 posts, read 940,028 times
Quote:
I know several American Indians here in Bullhead City, Az. and what the hell have the Rez's done for them except killing a member's "can do" attitude as well as talking those people into drugs and drinking. AI's are all US citizens here in the US.

I know some people here on CDF will call me "racist" for starting this thread; I say let's bring it on as long as we keep it classy. Otherwise a moderator WILL lock it down.

Before 1492 when the Hispanics came here; many of the Indian tribes did some real nasty things to each other like keeping the young women and some of the smaller boys but killing everyone else after war but where's the outrage over those crimes? Had the "white" man done that same thing; there'd be NO Indians left in 2013.
So let me get this straight you wanna break treaties with sovereign nations to take away the little bit of sovereignty they have left, break up communities, commit what is legally genocide according to the United Nations burden both the Indians in question and the new communities you take them to just to stick it to the Indian? How misanthropic.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:19 PM

733 posts, read 940,028 times
Quote:
I'm aware of what happened to "my people". We as a group also ROSE above being "shanty Irish". Time for other groups to now step up.
You do realize Irish people became accepted as white people by collaborating with the rest of the white dominant culture to oppress black people. I mean that's how you get accepted into a dominant culture of excluding those you believe to be inferior.

So you're advocating Indians to work with the dominant culture to exclude black people too or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies