Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 07:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The liberal mindset is just as anti-freedom they just want to restrict different freedoms. Libertarians are the only ones that truly care about freedom.
This is where he likely goes off track but there certainly is not enough information on his positions to take here.

"There are a lot of people pushing the wrong kind of liberty in our state. Liberty is not doing what you want. It is doing what you should."

There is a lot of truth in this but the big question is what do you believe should be done about it?

Should people continue to have the liberty to smoke? As far as others or more importantly the government is concerned, yes they should. That said, for those who smoke, I would ask whether or not they truly feel liberated by being addicted to something like this?

"True freedom is doing what you ought to do. False freedom is doing what you want to do."

We all support this idea. We punish many people for doing what they "want" to do. If someone has a wife and 3 kids and wants to simply walk away from that do we not as a society punish that?

So, while I might agree he is a part of the problem based upon his ideas as to what he see's as a solution, what is fascist in what I wrote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 07:26 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
"Liberty" and "freedom" mean different things to different people.

If you are opposed to the civil rights laws that did away with the Jim Crow laws you could argue that as a landlord or a business owner you must have the freedom to discriminate against blacks from renting in your apartment building, staying at your hotel, buying food from your grocery store, eating in your restaurant, or buying a home in your neighborhood. If you are required to accommodate people you don't like aren't you giving up some of your "liberty?" (What about black folks and their liberty to eat in a public restaurant or live in the only decent apartment building in town if they can afford it?)

Should a business owner have the freedom to not comply with any government regulation about polluting the air or poisoning the water?

What about a same sex couple who want the freedom to marry the person they love?

Should any government entity tell me I do not have the freedom to keep and maintain 14 dogs, 39 Siamese cats, and two horses in my city townhouse?

Old 07-05-2013, 07:46 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
During a town hall meeting in Oklahoma, here's how the Oklahoma Republican Chairman defines liberty and freedom:

"There are a lot of people pushing the wrong kind of liberty in our state. Liberty is not doing what you want. It is doing what you should."

"True freedom is doing what you ought to do. False freedom is doing what you want to do."

Sounds closer to me how a fascist dictator would like to define freedom and liberty.

Source: Liberty, Freedom & OK GOP State Chair, Dave Weston | Cherokee County Republican Party
Not very eloquent was it? I think we can all agree that as a member of a community we should do what we want, but we should also be conscious of the fact that we are a member of a larger community. It's why we have laws and regulations to create a framework for a civil society. If i want to dump garbage in the creek, it may be what I want to do, but for the people down stream of me, it's not very neighborly.

Not everyone who goes into politics is a good public speaker, so I'll give this person the benefit of the doubt, that he wanted to convey a thought, but did a poor job of it. I could be wrong, he could be a neocon authoritarian, akin to the current liberal authoritarians running the federal government today.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:
During a town hall meeting in Oklahoma, here's how the Oklahoma Republican Chairman defines liberty and freedom:

Sounds closer to me how a fascist dictator would like to define freedom and liberty.

Source: Liberty, Freedom & OK GOP State Chair, Dave Weston | Cherokee County Republican Party
Thanks for this. I never believed that conservatives, Republicans or right wingers believed in liberty and freedom. They're jingoists, so they just flap their tongue about it. It's similar to their flag-waving and tears about the Star Spangled Banner. They don't love this country and its people, but they sure talk up a good BS game to fool others into thinking they do.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:59 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:

That certainly does not sound like liberty or freedom to me. Again, some conservatives pay only lip service to these two words.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:32 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Here's what the Oklahoma Republican Chairman thinks of gay marriage. It's was recorded:

"It's about shoving down my throat what they do in the bedroom...They need to keep it to themselves...They want to destroy marriage until there is nothing there."

If this is how leading Republicans across much of the country are talking, then this must be where some CD posters are getting the idea that they're getting the homosexual agenda shoved down their throats.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:27 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Here's what the Oklahoma Republican Chairman thinks of gay marriage. It's was recorded:

"It's about shoving down my throat what they do in the bedroom...They need to keep it to themselves...They want to destroy marriage until there is nothing there."

If this is how leading Republicans across much of the country are talking, then this must be where some CD posters are getting the idea that they're getting the homosexual agenda shoved down their throats.
You didn't read your link either, did you? This is one guy, and he gets reamed by his fellow Republican in YOUR link. How does that translate to this is "how leading Republicans across much of the country are talking?" Can you cite, say, 3 examples? It should be easy since Republicans are talking this way "across much of the country."

Old 07-05-2013, 07:30 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You didn't read your link either, did you? This is one guy, and he gets reamed by his fellow Republican in YOUR link. How does that translate to this is "how leading Republicans across much of the country are talking?" Can you cite, say, 3 examples? It should be easy since Republicans are talking this way "across much of the country."
That's why I asked it in a question. I can only cite 1 example. But few people want to be bothered with recording what the country's Republicans leaders are saying at town hall meetings and posting it on the Internet as below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yc8_hHij0I

Old 07-05-2013, 08:52 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:

As someone who seldom stops to wonder what other people are doing in the bedroom, it makes me wonder why it's ALWAYS right wing extremist Bible-bangers that are talking about what others do in the bedroom. Isn't it odd?

Old 07-05-2013, 08:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
As someone who seldom stops to wonder what other people are doing in the bedroom, it makes me wonder why it's ALWAYS right wing extremist Bible-bangers that are talking about what others do in the bedroom. Isn't it odd?
The problem with polygamy - Slate Magazine

Usually? Probably. Always? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies