Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 09:53 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

As a Vietnam combat veteran (a "grunt"), I had a hard time adjusting to life back in "the world" after my discharge in 1968. I drifted. I was lucky to find manual labor work through a veterans' job fair, and bounced around for a while and from state to state, until I settled down and went back to college and finally was able to pursue a career in academia. I know now that I was luckier than a lot of my fellow vets, and I am grateful for having come through the whole thing relatively okay. My heart goes out to those who weren't so lucky...

Study: Vets a quarter of the homeless - Military Affairs - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 10:21 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
As a Vietnam combat veteran (a "grunt"), I had a hard time adjusting to life back in "the world" after my discharge in 1968. I drifted. I was lucky to find manual labor work through a veterans' job fair, and bounced around for a while and from state to state, until I settled down and went back to college and finally was able to pursue a career in academia. I know now that I was luckier than a lot of my fellow vets, and I am grateful for having come through the whole thing relatively okay. My heart goes out to those who weren't so lucky...

Study: Vets a quarter of the homeless - Military Affairs - MSNBC.com
My Uncle is a Vietnam vet (decorated I understand). Unfortunately, I understand that he too had a difficult time adjusting when he returned, which could explain how his life still seems to be turmoltuous. It's a good thing that we have a strong supportive large family of cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. The sad part is something happened to him over there and he still suffers from it to this very day. The past 4 years my Mom (his only sister and the oldest) was dealing with Veteran's Affairs on some benefits that my Uncle never received for which he was entitled. Can you believe that initially they told her that they could not find any record of his service, although he was a highly decorated solider. Anyway after 4 years, she was finally successful in getting him the benefits that he was always entitled to.

The sad part is half of the homeless Vets probably are entitled to various benefits that would prevent them from being homeless however, they have no one in their corner fighting for them, even though no serviceman/woman should ever have to fight for benefits after having served this country

Old 11-07-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
My Uncle is a Vietnam vet (decorated I understand). Unfortunately, I understand that he too had a difficult time adjusting when he returned, which could explain how his life still seems to be turmultious. It's a good thing that we have a strong supportive large family of cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. The sad part is something happened to him over there and he still suffers from it to this very day. The past 4 years my Mom (his only sister and the oldest) was dealing with Veteran's Affairs on some benefits that my Uncle never received for which he was entitled. Can you believe that initially they told her that they could not find any record of his service, although he was a highly decorated solider. Anyway after 4 years, she was finally successful in getting him the benefits that he was always entitled to.

The sad part is half of the homeless Vets probably are entitled to various benefits that would prevent them from being homeless however, they have no one in their corner fighting for them, even though no serviceman/woman should have to fight for benefits after having served this country
Agree 100%. I'm thinking about getting into volunteer work helping other vets who haven't had the good luck I've had.

Best wishes to your uncle. Do you know what unit he was with? (I was with the 1/28th Infantry, First Division).

Old 11-07-2007, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Agree 100%. I'm thinking about getting into volunteer work helping other vets who haven't had the good luck I've had.

Best wishes to your uncle. Do you know what unit he was with? (I was with the 1/28th Infantry, First Division).
That's Great!

I don't know, but I will call him or my grandmother tomorrow and find out and post tomorrow. Wouldn't that be something if you all knew each other - actually it'd be quite scary, LOL

Old 11-07-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
That's Great!

I don't know, but I will call him or my grandmother tomorrow and find out and post tomorrow. Wouldn't that be something if you all knew each other - actually it'd be quite scary, LOL
Well, that was a scary place. I'll think about it until the day I die.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:31 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,617 times
The Government should so something about it. I wouldn't mind tax dollars being spent on rehabilitating these veterans.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:37 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,825 times
Any veteran of a war should be entitled to decent housing, top-quality healthcare (or mental health care if they need it) and a steady income whether they decide to work one more day in their life or not, in my opinion. I can't imagine going through all that.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Well, that was a scary place. I'll think about it until the day I die.
It obviously was because growing up and even now, he NEVER talks about it, nor does anyone else at family gatherings when everyone is just reminicising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Any veteran of a war should be entitled to decent housing, top-quality healthcare (or mental health care if they need it) and a steady income whether they decide to work one more day in their life or not, in my opinion.
I agree with you. In fact when Vietnam was over and the soliders returned home, it should have been a PRIORITY to get many of them into mental health counseling; drug rehabilitation, etc.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:23 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Side note here:

Being that many of the Vietnam vets (most of whom were honorable service members) were abused by some civilians after their return to the 'world', I can understand why so many are screwed up.

Now: what really concerns me is that many of the Gulf War vets are showing signs of major PTSD, etc. and they were not spat upon by certain misguided unpatriotic individuals. Moreover, the above vets people are actually trying to help them.

Something is just wrong------unless 'war' per se is a hell of a lot worse emotionally speaking, than even the gung ho 'grunts' want to admit to.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:51 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Something is just wrong------unless 'war' per se is a hell of a lot worse emotionally speaking, than even the gung ho 'grunts' want to admit to.
Whoever let on the impression that war was all happy and dandy was a fricken liar. War is horrible.

I mean, try to imagine yourself away from anyone and everyone you love....

You have nobody but troops, innocents, and glorified evil around you. Each day, wondering who is going to die next. IEDs, WMDs, suicide bombers, Biological warfare - you have to be prepared for these 24/7.

You shouldn't sleep to heavy in case the barracks get attacked. Gun fire, bombs, gas.

Any sort of human emotion gets in the way on the battlefield. You have to be prepared to shoot without hesistation. Imagine the emotional blow if you accidently shot an innocent child?

Watching bodies fly from a suicide bomber attack or IED - watch the guy/girl you've made a "war bond" with get blown to bits.

You finally get time to come home for a while. No acknowledgement for your deeds, harassment for your failures, and some leave with a life-long disability.

Both of my parents are disabled vets. There are somethings they tell me - the good times. The bad times... they don't even want to think about.

My mother - Master-At-Arms in the Navy - Attached to AD-38 (Puget Sound) became disabled when an incident occurred (won't tell when/where/why) and caused her to have a few paralyzed nerves in her brain - causing blackouts and a few other problems.

My Father - Won't speak about his actual job aboard the Submarine he won't even name. During a "mission" ((I don't know. He doesn't talk about it - becomes very irritable if asked)) he blew out his entire sinus cavity and if that wasn't bad enough - at the end, his ankle did a 180. Because of that, his knees are blown out and he's currently listed as 80% disabled by the VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies