Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 02:37 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Republicans deserve some blame here. Most of the private sector has rebounded and is only marginally lagging. Government employment hasn't rebounded, which is fine if we don't want more government employees, but we can't fire a bunch of government workers and then be surprised at the lack of demand. To help make the connection here I would simply bring up any of the job bills that the republicans have blocked while not really proposing any bill of their own. R's blocked bills that would grant credits for companies that bring jobs back and eliminate the credits available to companies that off shore jobs.

Democrats deserve blame, mostly at the state level, but so do Republicans.

IMHO, I prefer private sector economic growth to government growth, as it takes taxes to support gov growth, one way or another. I think we need 'cheap' economically efficient energy for productivity (both for production and consumers) - and that would 'feed' the economy from the 'bottom' (base). I know Repubs 'like dirty air and water, and don't mind children going to bed hungry at night' (per Howard Dean), but I do think there can / should be a balance and that balance should include economic feasibility. IE Green energy is not producing much 'green'. If the economy was better, growing (at more than stall speed), and taxation were anything better than it is, offshore jobs (and money) MAY come back. Until then, it's pretty much a short-lived assortment of games. We just need to get out of our own way sometimes. But that's easier said than done it appears.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:54 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
In other words, you found a metric that makes unemployment look the worst.

In any case, looks to me like the trend is down, which is good:

U6 = Total unemployed, plus all marginally attached workers plus total employed part time for economic reasons
U6 is a full-picture Unemployment stat to show unemployed, discouraged workers, marginally attached workers and part-time workers while U3 (the traditional Unemployment stat) just showed the unemployed. So yeah, U6 at 14.3 is nearly two times the 7.6 stat U3 was last month. Still pretty bleek for America.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
You are saying the left is 'doing good' and so the unemployment result is ok. Fine, if that's your answer. (I'm not impressed, but thank you.)
Where did I say that? However we have been moving in a downward direction, which is a good thing.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:29 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
IMHO, I prefer private sector economic growth to government growth, as it takes taxes to support gov growth, one way or another. I think we need 'cheap' economically efficient energy for productivity (both for production and consumers) - and that would 'feed' the economy from the 'bottom' (base). I know Repubs 'like dirty air and water, and don't mind children going to bed hungry at night' (per Howard Dean), but I do think there can / should be a balance and that balance should include economic feasibility. IE Green energy is not producing much 'green'. If the economy was better, growing (at more than stall speed), and taxation were anything better than it is, offshore jobs (and money) MAY come back. Until then, it's pretty much a short-lived assortment of games. We just need to get out of our own way sometimes. But that's easier said than done it appears.
Well that's sort of where the D's policies come into play and their whole "the rich are evil, let's tax them, fine them, force them to provide insurance, and raise the min wage and then blame them when they don't hire". But also, as our economy starts to grow the BRIC nations will experience faster growth which results in higher oil prices which then results in a drag on the US economy. Interesting from an economic perspective, but not so much if you are an American.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:31 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
U6 is a full-picture Unemployment stat to show unemployed, discouraged workers, marginally attached workers and part-time workers while U3 (the traditional Unemployment stat) just showed the unemployed. So yeah, U6 at 14.3 is nearly two times the 7.6 stat U3 was last month. Still pretty bleek for America.
Could be worse. Australia's comparable U6 rate is about 20.5%, but they have more safety nets and job/work training programs.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:33 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:

U6 = Total unemployed, plus all marginally attached workers plus total employed part time for economic reasons
Well, at least our president is not resting until the economy turns around, and everyone who wants a job can find one.

BTW, every metric looks bad under Obama. We have 7.6%, and in Obama's 5th year in office, even the friendly news services describe this economy in grave terms, telling us that employers are feeling cautiously optimistic that the economy might not take a turn for the worse. That is Obama sycophants talk up the Obama economy.

Meanwhile.... ONLY 47% OF ADULTS HAVE FULL-TIME JOB...

Old 07-05-2013, 03:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Could be worse. Australia's comparable U6 rate is about 20.5%, but they have more safety nets and job/work training programs.
That is true, America was worse the issue is we have a huge problem in America where the workforce is overqualified and underpaid on a whole.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:04 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:

Gee................ thanks again for the graph!

Well, MTA, if things are getting better, why then-

1. are there more unemployed citizens now than two years ago?

2. there are fewer full time jobs than two years ago?

3. incomes are lower than two years ago?

4. personal savings (except among the top 2%) are lower than two years ago?

Hilarious-

People have stopped looking for jobs and are now not even counted in the unemployment numbers. The "unemployment rate" does not reveal the absolute number of jobless, which has increased. Further, part time jobs are included in the employment numbers.

MTA- You can weave BS and lies into an interesting, colorful graph which shows the exact opposite of reality. I wonder if all of the unemployed and underemployed believe your graphs?

Failure is hard to defend.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:19 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
(Really? ) Oh! I thought iNviNciBL3 was saying 'ANY job is A job' - "Pouring coffee at Starbucks is still a job."
Yup

Old 07-05-2013, 05:31 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Well of course, who cares to have the best and most agreed upon metric when people just care about peddling their doom and gloom?

That's what happens when people try and force fit evidence to conclusions, instead of taking conclusions from evidence. At first it was the market dropping that meant the end of it all...till the market was going up (calling it a "melt up" till people stopped listening). Then it was foreclosures, till that stopped being a really dire number and people started buying houses again. Then it was the standard unemployment rate, till that started to improve.

People who say that the same thing is happening no matter what is happening around them, and just junk any metric that doesn't agree with their conclusion, are just cranks. It's like those people who carry the signs saying the end of the world is coming tomorrow...for the last 20 years without fail.
WHAT ? The end of the is coming tomorrow ???? Quick, we've got to warn the others.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies