Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:58 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
You know jack sh*t about policing and the more you yap in this thread, the more obvious it becomes.

You insulting the intelligence of any group, much less police officers, is a joke.
You sound like you're defending professionalized cowards and dregs.

Groupthink operates under the lowest common dehumanator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 12:07 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
This will only get worse. If you treat police like soldiers they are going to start acting like them. There is a reason most developed countries separated their military and civilian police force. Not to mention that these particular cops, and the neighbor, must have been really dumb.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:32 AM

596 posts, read 730,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Cops in my era were big strong intelligent men. In Canada at one time most of the cops were of British or Scottish decent. They became law enforcers because it was a calling...a duty - it was not about the money or the "benefits" - If there was a problem - they would hover over you like a giant and talk to you ...They were PROTECTORS of the peace...They never drew their weapons.

Now - I see a trend...The quality of cop has gone way down. Affirmative action hiring brings in pitiful candidates to serve as police officers..They are smaller (more prone to use deadly force) - The IQ levels are much lower... Their characters boarder on those of the common street criminal in some cases....There is not federal guide lines regarding quality control of law enforcement...

Now all they look for in a cop is one that will blindly do what they are told without question...who like robots follow "procedure" .

Imagine what a danger cops are becoming to the public...when some are so stupid that they kill a man holding a garden hose? Even if it were a person holding a gun...You do not shoot them. The person may be deaf- stupid...mentally ill and so on.

America needs to reform their law enforcement agencies and stop picking people form the bottom of the heap.
This has nothing to do with "affirmative action hiring." How unfortunate that you would use this man's senseless death as a platform for your personal bias and ignorant views about affirmative action. It's disgusting.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:49 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This will only get worse. If you treat police like soldiers they are going to start acting like them. There is a reason most developed countries separated their military and civilian police force. Not to mention that these particular cops, and the neighbor, must have been really dumb.
Not just dumb - procedurally Police State, i.e., the use of force for determining fact.

Sorta like Congress not reading a bill before they pass it, because the only way it can be properly comprehended is by making it law.

Once the man was shot dead, it could be safely determined whether or not he was a threat.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
This guy could have been pointing a banana at these cops, they would have opened fire anyway. I have no doubt about it.

They seriously need to be made an example of.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:20 AM

742 posts, read 678,590 times
See this is why the "see Somthing, say Something" is faulty. Inncent man killed because a neighbor seen something, cops went after him without investigation or even proper procedure. RIP.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:02 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
I'll tell ya this.

As corrupt of a city as Chicago is, I never had issues with the Police. There was a time I hit a girl, but she was taking pictures crossing the bike path interfering with traffic. The cop was pretty respectful. I recommended putting signs or markings on the bike path and a week later there were spray painted markings on the path. I never had an issue where I felt I was profiled or harassed by a cop at all besides when I 1st moved there. I feel it was more my dress than race. I don't have a history and have never been a "thug" or bad guy.

The 2 times I've had issues with cops, they all involved black cops. They've been the worst out of the ones I've experienced. I think we need intelligent cops. And cops who are respectful and know the law. We don't need tough guys or bullies and we definitely don't need individuals acting out their own justice. We definitely need reform in this country.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:13 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
So very sad. There is no justification nor can the police defend their actions. They acted on what someone "thought" they saw. By their own admission there was no communication whatsoever - they didn't identify themselves, gave no warning to put the "weapon" down and put your hands up. They just went in shooting because someone planted the seed in their minds that it was a gun. I don't see where they were "forced" to kill him.

I find it hard to believe that immediately upon seeing the police the man held the nozzle with both hands, extended his arms and pointed it at the police. He was probably sitting on the steps facing the police when they entered. Obviously the nozzle would be pointed in their direction as it would be no matter who entered the property.

I hope the good neighbor sleeps well at night. If the police lose any sleep over this it won't be about killing an innocent man, they will be worrying about their job and losing their benefits.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:11 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
You guys can say what you want, but the simple fact is that if you point something that looks like a gun at armed police on a call, they're going to put their safety first and shoot.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:17 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
First of all, if you are so tightly wound that you can't distinguish a water nozzle from a fire arm, you most definitely should NOT have authority....and a weapon.

Secondly, no one is twisting their arm to be a cop, or holding a gun to their heads. They do it for the paycheck and all the benefits. They have the biggest unions in the country.

Sycophants !

Man Shot Dead By Police While Watering Neighbor’s Lawn | REALfarmacy.com | Healthy News and Information
Same thing happened to me years ago working in a Navy Garage Repair Facility. I wasn't shot at though.

I had a air impact wrench in my hand, walking across a service bay, someone outside saw me through the glass service door, called the base police and told them someone in the service area had a gun.

The cops surrounded the place, while I was wondering what was going on. Things were sorted out within a few minutes. Good thing the cops weren't trigger happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies