Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 04:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I don't think it matters. We'll interpret it how we want. At least I don't expect us to say the treaty doesn't cover him. Remember, we assassinate our citizens and shoot down Bolivian plans so why not bend a few words?

But we don't have a treaty with Russia and that didn't stop us from turning up the heat there.
It takes 2 countries to sign a treaty. We can't just "do what we want".

Worked out well when we strong-armed Hong Kong..didn't it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 04:11 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
I don't think it matters. We'll interpret it how we want. At least I don't expect us to say the treaty doesn't cover him. Remember, we assassinate our citizens and shoot down Bolivian plans so why not bend a few words?

But we don't have a treaty with Russia and that didn't stop us from turning up the heat there.
It would require more than bending words. A ninth-grader could read the treaty and see that none of it applies here. Yes, we may kill people but we don't want to be thought fools.

Of course we could pressure Russia, of course we could ask Russia, but we can't pretend they are legally obligated to comply.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:12 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Joe View Post
No. I would not put anything past him.
I think he'd find a more classy way to exterminate the threat. Like let him get comfy in his new country and then something happen that was completely natural and just happened to have taken out Snowden.

Obama would then release a statement about his tragic death.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I think he'd find a more classy way to exterminate the threat. Like let him get comfy in his new country and then something happen that was completely natural and just happened to have taken out Snowden.

Obama would then release a statement about his tragic death.
There is no threat. The US is spying on their own citizens and allies throughout the world.
We look like desperate untrusting fools.

The USG creates their own threats with our bumbling foreign policy of guns, blood and money.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:21 PM

111 posts, read 107,529 times
Snowden can make an argument for asylum even with nations we have a treaty with. He can argue that, as a political criminal, the treaty does not apply to him. And he can argue that he comes under those who would face torture and death if he were returned because he would. He is charged with Treason and that is a death penalty crime. And he can argue that putting him into a dark solitary cell that is kept cold with no clothes or a blanket is a form of torture because it is.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Joe View Post
Snowden can make an argument for asylum even with nations we have a treaty with. He can argue that, as a political criminal, the treaty does not apply to him. And he can argue that he comes under those who would face torture and death if he were returned because he would. He is charged with Treason and that is a death penalty crime. And he can argue that putting him into a dark solitary cell that is kept cold with no clothes or a blanket is a form of torture because it is.
Well thankfully the Constitution restricts what amounts to Treason.
It really doesn't look like Snowden committed treason. The UK Guardian is not our enemy.

Treason - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:29 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times
The Year 2000, an aspiring corporate climber aiming at (but failing, I guess?) a NSA job told me that NSA collects every imaginable kind of communication regardless of citizenship and nationality, NSA was the ultimate power job he craved so much. Since then I was kinda sure that NSA does just that. That's why this Snowden spectacle first looked like a joke, the guys leaked info that every more or less "aware" of reality person has known for quite some time. What the big deal?

Old 07-06-2013, 04:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Shoot down? Do you not think our president is more sophisticated than that?
Nope. How sophisticated was it giving the very violent Mexican cartels military grade weapons?

Immediately when I saw the breaking news about the plane crash in SF, I thought maybe Snowden was on it. I don't think anyone would put anything past Obama.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:44 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There is no threat. The US is spying on their own citizens and allies throughout the world.
We look like desperate untrusting fools.

The USG creates their own threats with our bumbling foreign policy of guns, blood and money.
You do know they aren't going to contact you first before they pull the trigger?

Old 07-06-2013, 04:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
That depends how you define spying. Nothing in the complaint against him says he spied.

"Simply" is not the case here. It could have been done simply and without risk to more leaking. That's what he is. He's a leak. And for that he won't fade away. And any country that grants him asylum based on political grounds will do so by breaking a treaty. Even if that isn't true it won't matter. The consequences will be the same.

We should start a thread on what he should have done. I have some opinions but I don't want to mix it in here.
Well --- it's even possible that our government has pissed off a number of our allies even and all any would have to do is give him secret asylum and give him a job spying on our government like what ours did to theirs.

No one has to let Obama know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies