Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:20 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times

Advertisements

I suppose the worst part is that the float was entered under false pretenses. Would have been better to be honest, and get rejected, then, he could have filed a lawsuit.

I recently went to a National Park, and was sick of the "white guilt" message that I felt was pervasive, "white people took Indian land, killed buffalo...", like I should feel shame? The message was completely slanted.

There is more to white history than enslavement, and pillage. Not that anyone will get that message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 07:59 AM

419 posts, read 365,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jim Robinson View Post
I doubt if you can even drive a tractor. The float was a constitutional freedom of expression exhibition, and an exercise in free enterprise and a expression for the love of one's country when we have a president who is basically a 'black cloud' hanging over our heads.
Not sure if you are serious or not.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I agree, and IMO, if America were truly, I really mean truly diverse and accepting and practiced equal rights for all, we by that measure should have had a black president years ago. We have not come full circle, yet. It just goes to show us how far America has really not evolved as much as we'd like to believe it has. Maybe in another 20 years?

I wonder if people know that Obama is distantly related to the Bush family?
I think there are always going to be prejudice people in the USA, as along as there are those who will elect to think in bigoted ways. One thing I learned from this presidency is this. The more things changes, some things still remain the same.

I would not have suspected that about Bush or Obama.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyone57 View Post
Not sure if you are serious or not.
I think said person is serious.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think said person is serious.
Wears a sheet for sure.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
I've stated many times that the phrase "politcally correct" is so over-used that it has pretty much lost all meaning. Not to mention that most people don't seem to comprehend what the phrase originally meant in the first place, and therefore use it to describe situations that have nothing to do with political correctness. This is a perfect example. This idiotic float is not about political correctness. It is pure ignorance. Flying the confederate flag and hauling around watermelons does nothing but show how ignorant and backwards this individual is. He thinks he's making some clever point, when in reality the only people who don't think he's a sad, pathetic joke are those who already share his biased views.
When I saw that float, I didn't see anything good about it. I just saw someone who was being, well, a jerk, on purpose. And on the 4th of July. We might have freedom of speech, but flying a Confederate flag on the 4th of July, at an Independence Day parade, it is uncalled for. Yes, said person has the right to fly that flag, but being that Independence Day celebrated the USA's independence, I see the Confederate flag as going against all of that because the CSA wanted to break from the USA.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Wears a sheet for sure.
I would read this: //www.city-data.com/forum/30375343-post131.html

Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jim Robinson View Post
I doubt if you can even drive a tractor. The float was a constitutional freedom of expression exhibition, and an exercise in free enterprise and a expression for the love of one's country when we have a president who is basically a 'black cloud' hanging over our heads.
Again you fail to understand rights. he choose to be part of the parade, he choosse to abide by the rules of the organizer.

If he wanted to express his constitutional rights, he could have driven his tractor anywhere that was permitted and carried his sign behind.

Due process. If he wanted to display his sign in the parade, and was denied by the organizers, then he could have gone to court and have the parade organizers to allow him to do so. Due process is constitutional, forcing one's rights is not.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Oh yeah, I read that. He's written much worse. How he's allowed to propagate that sickness on here unimpeded is beyond my comprehension.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:35 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,258 times
if it had black/latino history month on it, that would have not made the news. it is a guy on a tractor, why is the media so hell bent on causing controversy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies