Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:53 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Perhaps not....but you do not get to the level or POTUS based of merit..sorry. This is much deeper than "local black boy makes well"
you don't have to tell me, I lived through 8 years of Dubya. he wasn't fit to run a zoo let alone a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 01:05 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I suppose the worst part is that the float was entered under false pretenses. Would have been better to be honest, and get rejected, then, he could have filed a lawsuit.

I recently went to a National Park, and was sick of the "white guilt" message that I felt was pervasive, "white people took Indian land, killed buffalo...", like I should feel shame? The message was completely slanted.

There is more to white history than enslavement, and pillage. Not that anyone will get that message.
oh, the irony of white whine.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:24 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Name me one group who's history is not tied hand in hand with the enslavement of someone.

The world wasn't created 200 years ago you know.
Exactly! I'm Slavic on my fathers side. The word itself means "slave". I have ancestors who were slaves in both flavors of skin color.

The fact that thousands of whites died to stop slavery seems to mean nothing. The "underground railroad" was created by whites. It was the outrage over the treatment of black (and white) marchers in Selma, by whites, that turned the tide of civil rights. Many whites were lynched because they supported the civil rights movement in the south.

If ALL whites were pro-slavery;
-The civil war would have never been fought.
-The Republican party would have never been formed.
-Lincoln would never have become one of our greatest Presidents.

I think the sign on the float is ridiculous, but to imply that the history of white people being tied to slavery as a whole is even more insane. Consider the fact that there were over 5000 black slave masters at the time of the civil war.

Why aren't the facts taken into account by white bashing fanatics? Could it be that it simply does not fit into the race baiting mantra.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaCat View Post
I never understood what it meant to be proud of your race. It was randomly what you happened to be born as based on your two parents, same as billions of others. What kind of achievement is there in that?
It's one thing to be proud of your heritage and quite another to be proud of the color of your skin. This type of vanity is the basis for all racism, isn't it?

I'm proud of my heritage: Italian, French, Mexican Indian, Slavic, and I have a black great grandfather. I'm proud to be a true American mutt.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
you don't have to tell me, I lived through 8 years of Dubya. he wasn't fit to run a zoo let alone a country.
And that problem hasn't been remedied in the last 5 years.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:

Exactly! I'm Slavic on my fathers side. The word itself means "slave". I
have ancestors who were slaves in both flavors of skin color.
No, it doesn't. The word actually means "word". Slovo means word. Maybe it means slave in English, but what does English have to do with the people who actually invented the word?
It originally denoted people who speak the same language, or words, and it also means "worshipper" as in those who follow the word of God.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Californian34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
And that problem hasn't been remedied in the last 5 years.
Wow! GWB, the gift that keeps on giving!

I hope Republicans don't do 8 years of Obama blaming when it's their turn. This $hit is getting worn out!

Old 07-09-2013, 05:00 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Originally Posted by Californian34

Wow! GWB, the gift that keeps on giving!

I hope Republicans don't do 8 years of Obama blaming when it's their turn. This $hit is getting worn out!
They are one in the same as far as I'm concerned

Old 07-09-2013, 05:44 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
A picture snapped by a parade-goer at a parade in Hope Mills NC shows a man on a tractor flying a confederate flag and pulling a wagon loaded with watermelons. A sign on the trailer read: “White History Month. Hug WTE PPL.”

Town officials said when the farmer applied for the parade permit he would be hawling watermelons with a sign they are for sale at a nearby bank.

Controversy surrounds float in Hope Mills July 4 parade | abc11.com
Hard to believe? But when you think about how vigilantly history revisionists have worked to rewrite history in order to appease themselves, and create a far more negative legacy, often inaccurately, with the intentions of denigrating the white race often not mentioning the thousands of inventions, cures for diseases ignored, it is entirely appropriate.

Last edited by 9162; 07-09-2013 at 05:52 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 06:59 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
We were coming back from the mountains yesterday and as much as we didn't want to ended up in Charlotte around 5 P. M. Got in a parking lot on I-485 so my husband took the first exit from I-485 that he could. This sent us through Pineville.

We were at a stop light in Pineville when a pick-up truck pulled beside us because it was going left at the light while we were going straight. The first thing we saw was the really huge Confederate flag and we both started laughing. It was something like, what.... Then of course we had to try to see who was inside and was there a gun in the back window. These things just usually go together. As he turned left we noticed the South Carolina plate. Oh, that explains it. So we just drove on.

Last edited by NCN; 07-10-2013 at 07:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies