Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:47 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
It's not a tax when the only people paying it are the ones who have already received an education.

Yes, those students would get the free tuition, but I would think they will still pay forward, since that's the idea.

If there's any logic to this, those students would pay an adjusted percentage. So instead of 3 %, someone who dropped out after 1 year would only pay .75 % of their income back under this system.

Maybe someone who dropped out after 1 month, might be excused or something like that.
Interesting. What about students who drop out after 4 years with only receiving a bachelors degree and never completing college? Right now, we produce an insane amount of people who drop out of college study after their bachelors. For such a system to succeed, we have to make sure students complete college. Even if that means fewer students will attend overall... at least the ones who do, will complete it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 12:51 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Interesting. What about students who drop out after 4 years with only receiving a bachelors degree and never completing college?
If you receive a bachelors degree, then you didn't drop out, you completed a degree.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If you receive a bachelors degree, then you didn't drop out, you completed a degree.
But you didn't complete college. We have the lowest rates of students completing college in the US since New College was established in the 1600's. Those dropping out of college study (as a percentage of attendees) has sharply risen since WWII. We produce an insane amount of bachelor's degree holders that don't follow up with the completion of study. Worse, many of the students go through mediocre programs.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:00 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
What happens to all those people that suffered, scrimped and took responsibility for their own education? Are they going to be getting paid back? Will their be a refund program? Dumb, stupid idea.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
But you didn't complete college. We have the lowest rates of students completing college in the US since New College was established in the 1600's. Those dropping out of college study (as a percentage of attendees) has sharply risen since WWII. We produce an insane amount of bachelor's degree holders that don't follow up with the completion of study. Worse, many of the students go through mediocre programs.
What is your definition of "completing college" because I don't think it is matching mine. I have a bachelors degree that I have completed, therefore I completed college. There are several levels of college and I felt it would be a waste of money to go for a higher degree in my field when the return in pay wouldn't be any different for me.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
What happens to all those people that suffered, scrimped and took responsibility for their own education? Are they going to be getting paid back? Will their be a refund program? Dumb, stupid idea.
It is sort of a this point forward kind of thing, there will be plenty of future generations to come. That would be like asking for a refund check from years ago even though you were too young to get one.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Why would they get paid back? Are you suggesting they get paid back, and then 3% be deducted from their paycheck?

Old 07-07-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
What is your definition of "completing college" because I don't think it is matching mine. I have a bachelors degree that I have completed, therefore I completed college. There are several levels of college and I felt it would be a waste of money to go for a higher degree in my field when the return in pay wouldn't be any different for me.
In academia, completing college consists of attaining a terminal degree (MBA, Pharm.D, PhD, BA for teaching, etc.)

Old 07-07-2013, 01:10 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
They offering free degrees in fields that have some of the highest unemployment and lowest paying jobs. Do you really think that's a sensible thing to do? Do you want to encourage even more people to go into those fields?

What happens when they can't find a job and end up working flipping burgers? Is that going to pay the costs of their education? Seems to me this doomed to failure.
Sure, let's all take the GOP approach to life and drop out of school after the 5th grade, as we're all destine to be toilet scrubbers and burger flippers anyway

Old 07-07-2013, 01:13 AM

137 posts, read 136,067 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
In academia, completing college consists of attaining a terminal degree (MBA, Pharm.D, PhD, BA for teaching, etc.)
College has become a joke to many. They don't care about education or academia. They just want the piece of paper because society has told them to have it. They don't care whether they learn or not. Did you know that many college students don't participate in academic research and only care about classes? It's really become quite diluted. The government doesn't even care that very few students are prepared to continue higher education after their bachelors. And they throw money at these folks.

We should culture well-educated adults. Not half-educated adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies