Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:30 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,514,028 times

Advertisements

I grow weary of this foolish "small government" talk. It mostly comes from control freakish, frightened right wingers who desperately want the government to control unions, minority voting and women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,978,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olamm View Post
Seriously who cares what the founding fathers said and thought? That was more than 200 years ago, and right now we are in the 21st century and modern world.

Capitalism basically benefits the wealthy and corporates. Huge inequality between rich and poor in America, and 16% lives below poverty line. Wake up! We need more government regulations and unions to protect the tyranny of corporates and the rich. Americans also live to work, and it kills us.

Globalization is also part of the reason... Americans want western European model of mixed economy and social benefits.

Ahh yes, another believer that the Constitution is outdated! There was a reason why the founding fathers broke off from Great Britain! To get away from the crap over there! We just keep getting sucked back in! You can keep your globalization!!! I'll stick to the US Constitution, and keeping our soverieignty! As for your gripe about capitalism, what we have now is corporate cronyism!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:08 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,199,651 times
I guess that stand for limited government is why the state of Indiana just voted to make it a criminal act for pastors to perform gay "marriage" ceremonies (a religious ceremony blessing unions, since Indiana isn't a gay marriage state). You know--it's all about their focus on limited government. That's just what I want--the government telling my church what kinds of religious ceremonies they can perform.

You guys aren't dealing in reality. It's like you don't live on the same planet with the rest of us. Fantasyland is nice, but every once in awhile you need to put your feet on the ground and visit the real world.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,710,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post

2) When you take away everything America stands for in the name of "safety'" then what are we really trying to protect ourselves against? Because we have robbed ourselves of everything we have ever stood for.

- A Libertarian
Big Government: NSA
“If tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
― James Madison

Obamacare
“There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.”
― Robert A. Heinlein,

Changing the fundamentals of America -> So you can get free stuff

Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,915,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
When I hear "small government" from a politician, it means vote for me cause I will use buzz words you like, even though I don't have any interest in reducing the size of government.

Exactly, when a person uses a phrase like "small government", "Constitutionalist", etc. it just lets me know that I should ignore the next few minutes of noise that comes out of their mouth.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I guess that stand for limited government is why the state of Indiana just voted to make it a criminal act for pastors to perform gay "marriage" ceremonies (a religious ceremony blessing unions, since Indiana isn't a gay marriage state). You know--it's all about their focus on limited government. That's just what I want--the government telling my church what kinds of religious ceremonies they can perform.

You guys aren't dealing in reality. It's like you don't live on the same planet with the rest of us. Fantasyland is nice, but every once in awhile you need to put your feet on the ground and visit the real world.

Well, that isn't limited government now, is it?

Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,710,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
That, plus endless propaganda from the media, saying that voting yourself that handout is a GOOD thing. Plus more BS about how it will help the chillun, conservatives are eeevil, and the usual Democrat talking points disguised as "news".
Don't forget Nancy Pelosi defends welfare. "Food Stamps Are Stimulus"

IRS - Using the IRS to silence opposition to Obama and Democrats
NSA - Spying on everyone, their defense "it's for our safety"
Obamacare - Forcing us to purchase

A tyrannical government

Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,199,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well, that isn't limited government now, is it?
Ya think? Making it a crime for pastors to perform religious ceremonies approved by their own denomination is about as big and intrusive as government gets.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Ya think? Making it a crime for pastors to perform religious ceremonies approved by their own denomination is about as big and intrusive as government gets.

Indeed it is. The government should butt out!

Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,796,855 times
Attitude come and go .Politics tends to dot eh same based on results. Biden called it the pendulum swings of politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies