Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 02:48 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,738,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I must take exception to those two choices. It's not "nsuring the welfare of the people and assisting the economy." It's helping the bulk of the public or helping those at the top.

Since Reagan sold the idea that helping those at the top would help everyone, we have seen a dramatic increase in income inequality without any gains for the middle class. The idea was a failure that only serves those at the top.

The New Deal increased the size of the middle class and also aided the economy.
No the New Deal increased the size and scope of government, and prolonged the economy recovering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 03:19 PM

3,523 posts, read 3,728,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Not really.

What actually happened is that (1) capitalism in an age of globalism left the middle class increasingly hollowed out and without stable job opportunities, (2) people lived much longer and needed some security in their old age when corporations decided to stop doing it, and (3) America pursued a policy of conducting global warfare for decades on end.

If there were decently-paying jobs for people other than the top few percent of educated white-collar workers, a lot of this would take care of itself. But there aren't, and it seems that neither Republicans nor Democrats nor private industry can produce them.

We should have been more careful about the effects of globalization on our job structure instead of flinging the door wide open and then watching all of the jobs that upheld society move off to China and India.

This is a much more pervasive issue than partisan Republican vs. Democrat haggling du jour. Saying "it's all the Democrats' fault" or "it's all the Republicans' fault" is a lemming mentality that basically argues about reordering deck chairs on the Titanic.
I have to agree with this post, with some caveats:

Quote:
(1) capitalism in an age of globalism left the middle class increasingly hollowed out and without stable job opportunities.
. Globalization is a culprit, but so is technology which has reduced the need for labor.

Quote:
(2) people lived much longer and needed some security in their old age when corporations decided to stop doing it
. What happened to all of the money that the government collected from people who ended up dying before they reached retirement age? I'm talking about all of the people since Social Security was enacted. Surely, that's a lot of money that never had to be paid out. Did it go *poof*?

Quote:
If there were decently-paying jobs for people other than the top few percent of educated white-collar workers, a lot of this would take care of itself.
. This recession is color blind. Saw it all go down live in 2008/09. It is a myth that white people, particularly in the middle class, have gotten a pass.

Quote:
We should have been more careful about the effects of globalization on our job structure instead of flinging the door wide open and then watching all of the jobs that upheld society move off to China and India.
. Yes. However, one thing globalization is, is that it is efficient. Efficiency is the new currency, even though this runs counter to the old systems of government that the world has been used to for the past 500 years. A big component of the Constitution was the protection of States' rights, but in our fast-paced modern times, it's an administrative nightmare. We live in an age of lean, yet the government still thinks they can do the opposite and carry on like the world is like it used to be. It isn't.

I also have to say that if we had followed the Constitution like we were supposed to, each time the government did anything, they would have to issue tax bills instead of having to raise the debt ceiling. It's a tax either way, you just don't feel it because they're borrowing money to pay it later.

As far as limited government overall, it's becoming more clear to me that that only existed from the time of the Articles of Confederation to the when the Constitution was written. Everything else they told you about liberty, freedom, and limited government when you were in grammar school was a lie. If you actually read many of the laws in this country, people are anything but free. Taking just two recent examples: TARP and Obamacare. These are indications that the government is just going to do whatever it wants. The days of "Government by the people, for the people," are coming to a close. The days of American exceptionalism are over.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:15 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
So the government forcing banks to give loans to people who could not afford them did not cause it? wow

So, tell me more about this GOP congress forcing banks to make bad loans.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:56 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
What is limited government? What don't you want the government to do?

I like the idea that the government makes sure companies don't pollute the air and water. I like the idea that the government inspects meats, vegetables and other foods. I like the idea that the government protects workers from unfair labor practices. I like the idea that the government comes to aid when there is a natural disaster. I like the idea that the government has a system that provides medical insurance for seniors who wouldn't get it in the open market. I like the idea that the government assists the most needy among us.

Again, what don't you want the government to do?
A perfect example of a poster who wants an unlimited, completely oppressive, cradle to grave, communist government.

Here is a novel concept: How about a government that is limited to only those powers actually granted to them by the US Constitution?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:05 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
I must take exception to those two choices. It's not "nsuring the welfare of the people and assisting the economy." It's helping the bulk of the public or helping those at the top.

Since Reagan sold the idea that helping those at the top would help everyone, we have seen a dramatic increase in income inequality without any gains for the middle class. The idea was a failure that only serves those at the top.

The New Deal increased the size of the middle class and also aided the economy.
The longest and worst economic times in the history of America and YOU say it aided the economy? In case you didn't notice the economy has horrible from the early 1930's until after WW2 ended. The malnutrition rate and the unemployment rate were over 20 percent. And that's called aiding the economy?

Old 10-08-2013, 02:08 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
What happened was that "the people" learned that they could vote themselves a handout from the treasury. We will never recover.
I really need a sad faced thumbs up here but I agree 100%

Old 10-08-2013, 02:13 AM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
So, tell me more about this GOP congress forcing banks to make bad loans.
They didn't do so.

You liberals love to conveniently forget that Democrats were in full control of Congress from January 2007-January 2011, and they were the ones who ensured full implementation of the Democrat Community Reinvestment Act, which caused the Great Democrat Recession of 2008, since the Democrats who fully controlled Congress then forced banks to approve mortgages that too many people(most of which whom voted for liberals) couldn't pay for.

The bad loans were forced upon banks by the Democrats.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:32 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
They didn't do so.

You liberals love to conveniently forget that Democrats were in full control of Congress from January 2007-January 2011, and they were the ones who ensured full implementation of the Democrat Community Reinvestment Act, which caused the Great Democrat Recession of 2008, since the Democrats who fully controlled Congress then forced banks to approve mortgages that too many people(most of which whom voted for liberals) couldn't pay for.

The bad loans were forced upon banks by the Democrats.

The bad loans didn't begin in 2007.

Pubs held congress from 1994 - 2007.

You wingers love to conveniently forget that period of time.

So, I've just reintroduced you to a slice of reality.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:13 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:

I like the idea that the government makes sure companies don't pollute the air and water. I like the idea that the government inspects meats, vegetables and other foods. I like the idea that the government protects workers from unfair labor practices. I like the idea that the government comes to aid when there is a natural disaster. I like the idea that the government has a system that provides medical insurance for seniors who wouldn't get it in the open market. I like the idea that the government assists the most needy among us.

The fed gov't can CERTAINLY do all those things WITHOUT the huge agencies that now exists.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:15 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,738,640 times
Quote:

Once again why does it have to federal? why cant it be states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies