Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:05 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,337,762 times

Advertisements

Crime is down big time from previous generations op.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So despite the fact that you graduated HS from one of the top school districts in the state you just moved from, with a decent sized college fund, and a free place to live as long as you attended college, you are struggling. You chose to move from a good sized metropolitan area, to a small town, at least partially to position yourself to inherit a house, free and clear. You drove in a car which was given to you brand spanking new with a boyfriend who supposedly got a DUI only because he was sitting in the drivers side of the car while you frantically looked for the gas card your grandmother gave you. Now you are contemplating justifying thievery because your life sucks. And because you can't make ends meet. You have no rent, no car payment, no children, no student loans and two incomes. Apparently (again taken from your previous posts) you are struggling because you are looking for a job that:

Pays well
No nights/weekends
No college (that pesky tuition and classwork -even classes you aren't interested in!) Or tradeschool
No military service
No wearing of shoes or clothes you find uncomfortable or distasteful
No annoying clients, customers who might say something you find offensive
No bosses that make significantly more than you (unfair -yet another example of "the man" taking advantage!)
And clearly, no drug tests required.

That about wrap it up?

Good luck.
Oh I didn't know any of this, but that no shoes and no cloths thing could work into a great evening, and weekend job with lots of tips! The work would be easy and i bet showers are free

Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I look at my generation and I see two groups of people who have gotten ahead, those who's families have money and they were able to go to college or the incredibly smart ones who got lucky and landed a scholarship to a decent college.

My friends who didn't come from money have either little to no college, this group includes myself.

While I can't speak for everyone, I feel like I can speak for a few more than just myself.

My outlook on society and life is a bleak one. I see very little light at the en of the proverbial tunnel and still not quite sure if that light is a train, I'm hoping not.

I feel as if I have two choices, continue on my current path and forever remain in my position or throw myself into insane amount of debt with student loans to obtain a degree which may or may not get me a job, mind you a job that may or may not be enough to cover my finances and the loan payments.
Keep in mind I would be fighting against others my age and people my parents ages for these jobs because 24 and 44 year olds are battling it out for a min wage position at your local Walmart.

So my view and I feel a substantial few other feel the same as I do.

Why try?
Who knows 3 years from now when I finish said degree the economy could be in an even worse state.

Last night I had an epiphany, my mind was opened to a whole new thought, theft.
I see why people turn to it, I understand it, not saying I'd do it but I fully get it. I work hard for what I do have and I still don't have much. It's a terrible feeling.

I see why people put their last little bit of money into something to get them drunk or high, not because they are too lazy to try or are terrible people or because they don't care. It's because they realize they'll spend their whole lives trying for something they'll never obtain, they get high because they do care and it hurts to care and feel helpless and like nothing is going to get better. They do it so they don't feel because they know no matter how hard they try it'll never get any better.

Things aren't like they used to be, college isn't cheap an it'll take you about the same amount of time to pay off as a house.
Jobs that make enough to live on are scarce, require a degree and then you have to battle it out with everyone else with that degree an who are they going to hire? The 24 year old with no experience or the 38 year old with experience and a family to help support?

Now please don't make this about me and my story, I was only giving you my side to give a detailed insight into how I know and feel it is for others and why I think things are the way they are today with my generation.
Why my generation seems to just be floating in limbo.

I do plan on going back to college in the fall and using the last bit of college money I have left, about 3 semesters worth and if things haven't turned around by then (next december) I won't be going back till it does.
I'm not going to put myself into crazy amounts of debt without a guarantee.

What do you think has caused the pattern of behavior in my generation. (I'm 23).
Oh please. You got a brand new car for free. You had a college fund. You are so entitled.

Lots of people honestly don't have the money for school, but they figure it out. They don't sit on a message board for years going woe is me. What so many of us would give for a college fund.

I just turned 27 and know so many people who don't fit your description. Yes, I know some who do but most don't. They figured out a way to go to college out of high school, started working, or joined the military.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:24 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Here's what I think. You and your friends do not represent an entire generation.

There are young people with focus and goals, driven to succeed. Thank goodness.
Never said I was partaking in their activities too. I simply know people from do, some are from work who I don't associate with outside of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Wait, WHAT? You have posted repeatedly in the Parenting forum about your family's trust fund, and about the fact that your grandmother offered to pay your college fees, but you just never.could.be.bothered. Please do not insult people who have a genuine desire to go to college but legitimately can't afford it.
I have less than $5000 in there it's not enough to get a degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
TigerLilly, you're very sweet.

Don't fall for it though. Caregiver my arse. The OP has fleeced her grandmother out of a car and a house and gawd knows what else.

The OP's grandmother is not being cared for by the OP - AFAIK she doesn't require care at this time - not to any extent that could inconvenience the OP, anyway.
She let her lawn guy of 6 years go and I now do all her yard work, mowing, edging, weed eating and shrub/tree trimming with no expectation of money.
I go grocery shopping with her since its so hard on her.
I got down on my hands and knees and cleaned around her toilet because she can't do it.
I help her put her sheets on her bed for her because she can't do it anymore.
Tomorrow I am watching my great grandmother all day because my grandmother is going up to Kentucky to her late sisters house to assist her niece in getting rid of some things. Tomorrow is lawn day as well as making sure my great grandmother takes her meds and eats lunch and dinner.

KMA dude.... I have changed so much since moving here.
I work a lot, I keep up two acres, take care of two dogs, keep a whole house clean, and help my grandmother when ever she ask for it. I'm not out here partying it up with a joint between my lips and my boyfriend between my legs. I'm miserable because day in and day out I break my back and have nothing to show for all the work I do and all the sacrifices I've made. Good people get good things or at least they did. I just get shat on.
DB works 6 days a week, 730am to 500, I wouldn't know what sex was if it bent me over.

I'm angry because it's so hard to get ahead and I watch all these people come in with EBT cards buying food I dream of buying. Why because since moving I've been doing what's responsible and right and what people say you should be doing and it's not doing a damn thing for me. While all these people I see are freeloading and have it easier than I do. I hate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckynumber4 View Post
The only piece of advice I can give you is you really don't need to be having kids when you can barely support yourself. Please. Don't do that.
It's called the pill sweetie and I'm on it.
I don't plan on popping out any babies till I can afford them so don't worry yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
No offense, but I wouldn't want your life and wouldn't take it. You have a 6 figure salary? Big deal, you have a 6 figure debt which makes you worth probably the same as OP. You aren't better than OP or anyone else for buying into the BS. You my friend, or an economic slave/sharecropper, just like so many of the masses. What OP is discovering, is there is very little chance for the average person to figure out a way to own something while not selling your soul and your life to get it. Some get lucky, but most now have 2 choices, live a frugal life and try to carve out a way to be happy. Or join everyone else in debt hell so you can work hard to buy a bunch of stuff you are too stressed and working too many hours to enjoy.

Fortunately, I have broken the chains of consumerism. Many of us have figured out, that the system is broke. Avoid the advertising. Avoid window shopping. Don't get caught up in the you need the lastest technology. Some of us, don't want to be economic sharecroppers or office drones, but we are ridiculed for it. "oh, you lazy ******". Give me a break. Life is short. Just because I don't want to dedicate 80hours a week to make some rich man get richer, doesn't make me or anyone else that feels that way, lazy. I watched my father work long hours for 30 years to die of cancer a few months after he retired. He was a hard worker, but he did not make much money. Being a hard worker doesn't translate into easy life.

As far as College? College used to be affordable and it used to be something you did if you earned it. Now anybody can go, making it damn near worthless and a sure fire way to end up a corporate slave. Community College? Got news for you, it's still expensive. Institutions have jacked up their tuitions, and banks say "here, take some money". They are finding ways to bleed you or make you rack up the debt if you want that piece of paper. Going to college now means they will own you. Then you are forced to work long hours in a job you don't like because there was no money in the degree plan you wanted. So you became an accountant or some other mindless soul sucking position. Too stressed and tired to enjoy life or family. But hey, you get that big pat on the back from the other drones. Way to go.

No one says on their death bed "Man, I sure wished I had worked more". The thing is, most people have been fed this lie for so long, they can't see the forest for the trees. So what do they do? They turn to drugs and in some cases, crime. OP, it's grim, but figure out what it is that means the most to you and go for it. Stop following the herd. Otherwise, you may find yourself like so many. Trying to escape with drugs or worse.
You are so my hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Here's the thing:

NO ONE has much when they're 23. (Unless they were given it. Example A would be the brand new car you were given several years ago.)You had college paid for..... and dropped out. You had career plans to go into law enforcement but dropped them after you decided cops were mean to your boyfriend. Or something.

So, like a few people who want the easy way out, you are unhappy because you don't have much. You, like others who want the easy way out, think about TAKING WHAT BELONGS TO SOMEONE ELSE, because you, poor child, don't have much.

You want a terrible feeling? That would be the feeling of the person who comes home and finds that Aunt Mary's necklace stolen while she was at the hospital at the bedside of her sick child. A necklace that was the one and only link she had to Aunt Mary. (Who was a member of the Greatest Generation who grew up in utter poverty and worked in an airplane factor during WWII at back breaking labor. Her brother, who bought her the necklace, was in D-Day and didn't make it after he was shot on Omaha Beach. - Look it up - )So, because you, and all the others who want the easy way out, decide you want to have things because you have this "terrible feeling: - the woman who IS paying off her college loan and working at an entry level job - comes home to find the thing she treasured most is gone.

Because someone decided theft was a good idea. Since they weren't willing to do the actual hard work themselves because they had this LOONEY idea that people out there have all this stuff and they don't and ain't life unfair.

p.s. Don't turn to a life of crime. If you couldn't pay off your tickets you sure as **** cant post bond.
I was going to school part time, working part time at a retail job and was a live in nanny, I didn't sleep or eat and was treated like shat by the family I worked for. After going back to my moms I spiraled into depression because she's always been a mentally abusive person. Not long after I moved she told me to never speak to her again because my brother said he wanted to join the marines and she thought I was talking him into it. I barely speak to my brother.
I didn't want to become a cop because I didn't want to work with corrupt bastards who don't follow the law themselves.
I have become very involved in following politics and I don't like what I see and I don't agree with a damn thing.

I don't want to be a corporate slave, a government puppet or anyone's biatch.

I want to finish college, I want to start my own business but in today's world it doesn't pay off. You end up working your life away to barely get by or end up in so much debt your children end up with it. No thank you.

I haven't posted in any other forum in awhile, you don't know me or who I've become.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:24 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:

I have less than $5000 in there it's not enough to get a degree.
I want to finish college, I want to start my own business but in today's world it doesn't pay off. You end up working your life away to barely get by or end up in so much debt your children end up with it. No thank you.

I haven't posted in any other forum in awhile, you don't know me or who I've become.
$5000 is certainly a decent start. Do you really aspire to the food stamp life?

Nobody owes you an easy path. If you want it badly enough, you make it happen, one day, one class at a time.

Who do you think will be happier in 20 years, the kids who blow off school and work minimum wage to have money in their pockets now, or the kids getting a degree and having a shot at something better? 23 is not old, but I can see you in the same place at 43 making the same woe is me posts. You have not changed anything, except your location.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:35 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Are 23-year-olds today stealing more stuff and doing more drugs? I thought both activities were way down from a generation ago.
Considering the amount of time they spend on internet and gaming (not speaking of being ridiculously out of shape and mentally slow, courtesy of the fragmented, permanently distracted mind), it's no wonder youth crime rates are going down despite the economic slumps of the recent. Some clowns claim that's because Roe v Wade culling undesirable children before they had a chance to be born to the life of neglect and eventually crime, even though I don't believe that parental neglect can be that much higher than it's now.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:40 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
TS has an idea that college is a key despite the doubts drenched in melancholy. First, that strikes my mind, he has no other interests, no other purpose, no other measures of success and good life, it's all about running the race and securing a nest egg that would cover a modest room in a nursing home and one of those pathetic, mechanical funerals America is famous for.

Youth' idealism was dying for quite some time, but now it's officially dead, it's one big survival/status anxiety from womb to tomb. Even if it's so and securing modest existence is a sole objective, then you must identify your true interests, decide on what (if any) can realistically be converted to a reasonably compensated marketable skill and go for it when you are young, the younger the better. If you are totally bland and/or your interests are not easily convertible to desirable amount of cash then and only then you follow the herd to "good life". Colleges are expensive but not that much expensive, if you think it's the only way, unless it's a prestigious professional program. You can easily get a 4 year degree without going in debt if you don't follow the herd. If you 100% penniless and on your own, the best way is to get in trades young, save, do some sort of entrepreneurship on the side, study on your own (it's not like you will learn a damn thing in a classroom anyway), you'll get your degree later, but it's better to be in something marketable i.e. something your are interested in and good at.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:55 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
I look at my generation and I see two groups of people who have gotten ahead, those who's families have money and they were able to go to college or the incredibly smart ones who got lucky and landed a scholarship to a decent college.

My friends who didn't come from money have either little to no college, this group includes myself.

While I can't speak for everyone, I feel like I can speak for a few more than just myself.

My outlook on society and life is a bleak one. I see very little light at the en of the proverbial tunnel and still not quite sure if that light is a train, I'm hoping not.

I feel as if I have two choices, continue on my current path and forever remain in my position or throw myself into insane amount of debt with student loans to obtain a degree which may or may not get me a job, mind you a job that may or may not be enough to cover my finances and the loan payments.
Keep in mind I would be fighting against others my age and people my parents ages for these jobs because 24 and 44 year olds are battling it out for a min wage position at your local Walmart.

So my view and I feel a substantial few other feel the same as I do.

Why try?
Who knows 3 years from now when I finish said degree the economy could be in an even worse state.

Last night I had an epiphany, my mind was opened to a whole new thought, theft.
I see why people turn to it, I understand it, not saying I'd do it but I fully get it. I work hard for what I do have and I still don't have much. It's a terrible feeling.

I see why people put their last little bit of money into something to get them drunk or high, not because they are too lazy to try or are terrible people or because they don't care. It's because they realize they'll spend their whole lives trying for something they'll never obtain, they get high because they do care and it hurts to care and feel helpless and like nothing is going to get better. They do it so they don't feel because they know no matter how hard they try it'll never get any better.

Things aren't like they used to be, college isn't cheap an it'll take you about the same amount of time to pay off as a house.
Jobs that make enough to live on are scarce, require a degree and then you have to battle it out with everyone else with that degree an who are they going to hire? The 24 year old with no experience or the 38 year old with experience and a family to help support?

Now please don't make this about me and my story, I was only giving you my side to give a detailed insight into how I know and feel it is for others and why I think things are the way they are today with my generation.
Why my generation seems to just be floating in limbo.

I do plan on going back to college in the fall and using the last bit of college money I have left, about 3 semesters worth and if things haven't turned around by then (next december) I won't be going back till it does.
I'm not going to put myself into crazy amounts of debt without a guarantee.

What do you think has caused the pattern of behavior in my generation. (I'm 23).
Honestly, I believe that our generation has generally avoided heavy usage in compassion to previous generations; marijuana is in heavy usage these days amongst us but cocaine, acid, meth, and whatever else hard drugs are out there aren't used by us much. Living in DC, I barely if ever see any young crackheads on the streets, those on crack seem like they were born in the 60's, and 70's.

Now in regards to working, I agree that our worth ethics are far different than the past generations, it could be that we were raised to be more selective in choosing jobs as we won't take farming jobs as the past generations glady would've or it could be that our parents generally were born into a credit-driven society that is fading within our generation solely because credit cards and loans are more complicated to obtain therefore they could supply us more of what we wanted or needed without requiring much out of us. Of course there are other scenarios as well, but from my experience those are the typical scenarios.

Going back to my NC days, I would literally apply for jobs for about five-hours a day everyday, I would call the places and all and they'd never hire me; now if I were irrational or limited in opportunities as other teenagers were my age, I probably would've began not so pleasant activities. Sad reality? Yep, but luckily I moved to the DC region and found a job with the limited experience I had within two weeks, that is unheard of NC. Therefore I don't believe there is a lack of a work-ethic amongst us, we are more selective in choosing jobs and there is a lack of opportunity depending on the region in which one lives.

I feel optimism with our generation, I have friends marrying now, a decent amount of people including myself have just graduated and are planning to pursue our masters, some are even purchasing homes, and plenty are having children. We didn't grow up during the best of times, being born into a crack epidemic and growing up during one of the largest recessions in history isn't the ideal childhood for us but nonethless we will make it.

In regards to college debt and future finances your depressed state is totally understandable, for one I'm coming out of college with about $80k in debt and the lenders are already asking for their payments by next month. It's sad that some people I know who attended my GWU with me are going back to graduate school to avoid debt payments, the obvious would know that leads to an even deeper hole of debt. I'm far from a socialist or believer in completely free education, but nonetheless I believe the students need a bailout to pump money into the economy. If the Feds can pump $85 billion in monthly and give out $16 trillion dollars for bailouts, then they should be able to reduce our payments by half while also implementing tougher loaning restrictions.

Last edited by BMORE; 07-10-2013 at 12:08 AM..

Old 07-10-2013, 01:03 AM

510 posts, read 430,705 times
Your generation is the result of a wonderful combination of ridiculous PC-coddling(EVERYONE is special, and don't you dare judge ANYONE!) and the Europeanization(ie:socialisation) of our economy.

So everyone thinks they're better than everyone else yet there are no jobs or means gain financial independence and self-respect thanks to our new France-like employment rate. It's become obvious that you were sold a bunch of lies by people you trusted, and this creates a feeling of apathy because you don't know who to blame or what to do.

And then Obama came along and made you one last BIG PROMISE... But you're generation was too young and naive to realize that Obama and his ilk were the same guys responsible for the lies you were taught in school/media.

Before about the mid-'80s kids weren't coddled in school. You knew the only way to become "special" was to study and work your @ss off.

Before we became France-lite in the late '90s it was possible for anyone to get a job and work your way up. For example I remember a time when actual American kids worked in fast food... Today's generation doesn't even realize that time existed, and just assume that things have always been this broken, and because of the way they were raised their first impulse is to ask for more of what made things broken in the first place.

...More PC, more "social equality", more "tolerance", less honesty.

The sad part is that it's actually still pretty good today, thanks almost entirely to the socioeconomic momentum of the late 20th century. Another two Progressive presidents/congresses/MSM domination and America will be finished.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:43 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
Your generation is the result of a wonderful combination of ridiculous PC-coddling(EVERYONE is special, and don't you dare judge ANYONE!) and the Europeanization(ie:socialisation) of our economy.

So everyone thinks they're better than everyone else yet there are no jobs or means gain financial independence and self-respect thanks to our new France-like employment rate. It's become obvious that you were sold a bunch of lies by people you trusted, and this creates a feeling of apathy because you don't know who to blame or what to do.

And then Obama came along and made you one last BIG PROMISE... But you're generation was too young and naive to realize that Obama and his ilk were the same guys responsible for the lies you were taught in school/media.

Before about the mid-'80s kids weren't coddled in school. You knew the only way to become "special" was to study and work your @ss off.

Before we became France-lite in the late '90s it was possible for anyone to get a job and work your way up. For example I remember a time when actual American kids worked in fast food... Today's generation doesn't even realize that time existed, and just assume that things have always been this broken, and because of the way they were raised their first impulse is to ask for more of what made things broken in the first place.

...More PC, more "social equality", more "tolerance", less honesty.

The sad part is that it's actually still pretty good today, thanks almost entirely to the socioeconomic momentum of the late 20th century. Another two Progressive presidents/congresses/MSM domination and America will be finished.
Participation ribbons didn't surface at any of my schools till 5th grade and I thought they were stupid, hated the fact that I got one too.
When I was a kid "PC" meant "privileged child", I was told this by some taller, blond, girl who was much "cooler" than me in like 6th grade. When she told me all of the cool things she was allowed to do that I wasn't.
I remember in high school making fake PC terms. Like a crackhead was drug impaired etc etc, I think someone called me a leprechaun, which I laughed off, and then joked with my friends about how I was simply vertically challenged.

Being PC is such a crock...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies