Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 07:50 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
So, did I read it right that the monthly premiums of the exchange plans will be $250 and up? Did I read it right that if you choose NOT to have health insurance, the government will fine you? I typically lean to the left, but this stinks, IMo. I'm lucky enough to have decent insurance through my employer, but for people that don't, this sucks! If one doesn't want health insurance, one should not be penalized for it.

Not cool.
Let me tell you what I have witnessed, as part of my job at Social Security:

A young man, age 30 or so, healthy, feels like he will never be sick and chooses not to have any health insurance. However, he tests positive for HIV.

As you probably know, the medications used for HIV are very, very expensive. Here is a link:

Sanders: End HIV/AIDS Drug Monopolies - Newsroom: Bernie Sanders - U.S. Senator for Vermont

The article talks about the medications costing $25,000.00 plus per year.

So, said young man can't afford said medications. He can't get Federal disability just for being HIV positive. What to do?

Why, go to our local county hospital, submit the paperwork showing an inability to pay for the medication, and let the local land owners pick up the tab (here in Fort Worth we have a special assessment on our property taxes for the county hospital).

Not cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 08:09 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The IRS is in charge of collecting it, but they can't enforce it. What they can do is take the fine out of any refund you are due, but if you have no refund they can't do anything.

FactCheck.org : How Much Is the Obamacare ‘Tax’?
Most filers get refunds, and that lien against refunds never goes away..no statue of limitations on it.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
So, did I read it right that the monthly premiums of the exchange plans will be $250 and up? Did I read it right that if you choose NOT to have health insurance, the government will fine you? I typically lean to the left, but this stinks, IMo. I'm lucky enough to have decent insurance through my employer, but for people that don't, this sucks! If one doesn't want health insurance, one should not be penalized for it.

Not cool.
The title "Affordable Care Act" is a total misnomer. As proven by the increase in cost for this "care", it is becoming anything but affordable.

Even if called by its more popular name of "Obamacare" it should be obvious that the man named does not care about anyone but himself and those of value to him. Witness all the waivers and delays of implementation of this horrific piece of garbage.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:33 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
BTW, in case you wondered why I oppose the left in general, instead of "voting on actual issues or persons"....

People on the left (which includes virtually all Democrats and a number of Republicans) all have the same basic philosophy: That government can, and should, do things to help ordinary people with the ordinary problems in life.

And as I pointed out earlier (//www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/1904864-affordable-care-act-i-am-not.html#post30404218), this inevitably leads to programs that may start mild, but then began developing into more and more government involvement, more and more expansion and intrusion into people's lives, more and more taxes, restrictions, and regulations. Because leftists will compete among each other for votes, by offering to "help" people more and more. And that can move in only one direction.

This deteriorates, EVERY time, into the kind of intrusion you started this thread to complain about. And far more.

Conservatives, OTOH, are people who believe government will do what I just described, EVERY time when given a chance... and so must be strictly limited and restrained, with written laws that cannot be fudged or scooted aside or suspended when the government officials want them to be.

And they must be restricted to ONLY protecting people's rights.... and then only as far as such protection doesn't interfere with the rights of the people next to them, or across town, or across the river, or in the next state.

People can, and must, take care of their own ordinary problems... and help other people they want to help, since conservatives believe people are generous and giving without being forced by government... and will get together to for charities as quickly as they get together to form food-producing companies and bridge-building comapnies and insurance companies and hospitals and all the rest. Just as they will also watch for people who cheat, rob, and steal, and shun them societally at the same time they form police forces to arrest them and courts to punish them. WHile maintaining strict control and restriction over those police forces, courts, and armies.

There's a reason I oppose the left in general. Because every one of them, to a man, will vote for programs that will use government, grow out of control and choke the country, even while telling us, and in some cases even believing, they are only trying to help.

Comment?
No. No comment, because you've made broad brush statements about "people on the left" and what they "all" do, and they "all" think.
Once again, can you point out any way in which these broad brush statements were in any way incorrect, or inaccurate, or inappropriate?

Nothing wrong with broad statements if they are true, which these are.

EVERY leftist (in both parties), bar none, believes that it is an appropriate and effective thing for government to "help" people with the ordinary problems in life.

And every conservative believes that government doing that, is not appropriate, does not work (i.e. society is overall worse off for govt doing that, not better off), and is a usurpation of authority that the government does not have.

It is the fundamental difference between the two groups.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Now we are getting somewhere.

Personal responsibility, stupid should hurt.
But you don't seem to mind stupid in the government....

Old 07-10-2013, 08:43 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,779,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The IRS is in charge of collecting it, but they can't enforce it. What they can do is take the fine out of any refund you are due, but if you have no refund they can't do anything.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/06/how-much-is-the-obamacare-tax/
Most filers get refunds
They can control whether they get a refund or not, by telling their employer to adjust their withholding. If the employer withholds less each paycheck, the employee gets bigger take-home pay, and then must write a check to the IRS on April 15 to make up for it.

The best way to handle Obamacare, is to adjust your withholding so you have to write a small check every April 15, and then drop all your health insurance. When you get sick, then you sign up, and they have to take you and cover your (now "pre-existing") illness or injury. When you are cured, drop the insurance again.

You'll pay premiums only during the months you are actually sick (far less than paying 12 months per year), and won't even pay any penalty.

And it's completely legal, as laid out in the Obamacare law.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
But you don't seem to mind stupid in the government....
What are you talking about? All I do is complain about our crappy elected officials.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:41 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Most filers get refunds, and that lien against refunds never goes away..no statue of limitations on it.
Only 47% of filers don't pay or receive a refund the rest owe tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
They can control whether they get a refund or not, by telling their employer to adjust their withholding. If the employer withholds less each paycheck, the employee gets bigger take-home pay, and then must write a check to the IRS on April 15 to make up for it.

The best way to handle Obamacare, is to adjust your withholding so you have to write a small check every April 15, and then drop all your health insurance. When you get sick, then you sign up, and they have to take you and cover your (now "pre-existing") illness or injury. When you are cured, drop the insurance again.

You'll pay premiums only during the months you are actually sick (far less than paying 12 months per year), and won't even pay any penalty.

And it's completely legal, as laid out in the Obamacare law.
The insurance company isn't required to cover your preexisting conditions right away though.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:46 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yeah, Natalie, I don't think they completely get that. We are ALREADY paying for those without insurance.
No we aren't. Hospitals are required to stabilize patients, but they are not required to provide care beyond that.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:51 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno Says Hi View Post
This is an international Forum idiot. Cease trolling Weltschmertz with your strange obsession with him being from Canada.
Well, thank you.
(And I'm a girl.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies