Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

End welfare, food stamps, unemployment etc. and there will be no labor shortage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 08:37 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
just to be clear, business owners are calling for more-cheaper workers. Unless business owners are the new left now.

Im a capitalist. I understand supply and demand. A farmer cannot exist with growing food at a loss. That is why we see the shameful act of dairy farmers dumping milk down the drain. If too much product is on the market, the price drops below the price of production.

Nothing Walmart does is time sensitive. they can keep product on the shelves for weeks without damaging their bottom line. Walmart choses higher profits as compared to a laborforce which can live off their labor. I dont call for Walmart to increase wages...I see their business model as antiquated. Walmart is a Dinosaur walking.
Obviously you do not understand supply and demand. No place can afford for their items to sit for weeks.

Milk production is largely automated. I have no idea what that has to do with paying pickers more money to make sure you have enough employee's.

All the same I said I was generalizing. That of course means my generalization will not fit all.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:43 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
You can't have a welfare state and not have mass immigration. If you want less immigration going to have to end the welfare state.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:45 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
End welfare, food stamps, unemployment etc. and there will be no labor shortage.
Exactly.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:50 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:

Nothing Walmart does is time sensitive. they can keep product on the shelves for weeks without damaging their bottom line. Walmart choses higher profits as compared to a laborforce which can live off their labor. I dont call for Walmart to increase wages...I see their business model as antiquated. Walmart is a Dinosaur walking.
The book the Walmart effect, which isn't a glowing review of the company disagrees with you. Walmart doesn't choose profit. They choose low prices at the expense of their workers and their supplier's workers. Their profit margin is actually low and could be higher. Studies have shown that Walmart could raise prices slightly and make more profit. They promise one thing and deliver regardless of the negative effects.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Ha! More rotting fruit. These stories have been appearing regularly for years as part of the push for amnesty. Steve Sailer has written some hilariously sarcatic stuff on the topic. This from 2011:

Quote:

As all know from reading the newspapers, food in
America would cost more per ounce than gold if we weren't lucky enough to have a
constant stream of undocumented workers to do all the work. Without a vast
influx of newcomers each year, our poor farmers would be ruined, ruined I tell
you. It's economically, and perhaps biologically, impossible to grow food in
America without an endless supply of semi-literate but highly fertile
foreigners.

As we also all know, the influx of undocumented
workers is down in 2011 from the good old days, what with all the racist bigots
refusing to pass amnesties and whatnot. It's probably that awful Sheriff Joe
Arpaio's fault that famine stalks the land. Thank God Obama is going to get him
before we all starve.

Therefore, mathematical logic proves that crops
must be rotting in the fields and America's impoverished farmers must be packing
up their Model T's and fleeing.
Except, as commenters have pointed out here, the
farming business is enjoying a most lucrative 2011:

A new report shows it's been a good year to be a
farmer in the USA. The U.S. Department of Agriculture says farm profits are
expected to spike by 28 percent this year to $100.9 billion. Most farmers
say they're using the extra cash to pay off debt and put some money aside. But,
they're also investing in new tractors, combines and land.

You might almost think that the big agricultural interests have
been, with the collusion of the press and the politicians, trying to
mislead the public about just how essential a huge flow of uneducated peons is
to America avoiding famine.
Steve Sailer: iSteve: Crops rotting in fields due to undocumented worker shortages

Old 07-10-2013, 09:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I know the feeling. My trade was replaced by complex conputerized machine tools and a savvy programmer years ago.

But it did not turn and industry into a commodity, like it did the building trades.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:16 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Mexico has a lower unemployment rate (just under 5%) and a faster growing GDP, so many of the people coming here must be looking for jobs that pay better than back home -- perhaps not the agricultural jobs?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Sure, rotting food is a problem, but do we need slave labor to pick it, or do we need more farm implement innovation, or higher wages being paid to people to do the picking?

I have always said our migrant worker visa program needs reform, as it is now, both the farmers and the migrant workers find that they need to bypass the program in order to get the job done. We need to work with both the farmers and the migrant workers to get the visa program to meet their needs and meet the concerns of our other laws and security concerns

The farm workers get the Visa and in 2 months they are hanging sheetrock, or painting houses, or learning to haul rolls of carpet or stacks of tiles and brick.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
just to be clear, business owners are calling for more-cheaper workers. Unless business owners are the new left now.

Im a capitalist. I understand supply and demand. A farmer cannot exist with growing food at a loss. That is why we see the shameful act of dairy farmers dumping milk down the drain. If too much product is on the market, the price drops below the price of production.

By the law as it is now, since the china free trade act, signed in 2000. Walmart has a smart and efficient business model.
They use the laws to bring cheap products to the market, made by cheap labor that has little labor and industrial restrictions, with no threat of a labor union. Clinton had to eliminate Glass-Stegall to make it happen. Look what the consequences of that have been with our crooks in the banking & financial markets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies