Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Please, all republicans in office push for bigger government, a more intrusive government, and all would love for this country to be a theocracy as long as it is a Christian theocracy. That is the plain simple truth.
that is a bunch of tripe and you know it. not all republicans in office push for larger government, just like not all democrats push for larger government. if they did then there wouldnt be any issues with passing laws in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Please, all republicans in office push for bigger government, a more intrusive government, and all would love for this country to be a theocracy as long as it is a Christian theocracy. That is the plain simple truth.
I am not denying the truth in this, but what is theocracy? Is it having 'Under God' in the pledge or a Christmas tree at the White House? Or is it beheading anyone who denounces Allah?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Some conservatives and I can agree on wanting smaller government and a more open market based capitalist system. I want the Military Industrial Imperial part of our government greatly reduced. We need to defend our country but not the businesses that supply more than we need. I also want a real open and free market in energy, finance and retail. I greatly oppose any form of monopoly or oligopoly that can restrict market to enhance their profits. I completely support the complete separation of the churches and the government.

What I do not agree with conservatives on is their denial that the medical system, because it is impossible for the patient to negotiate need or price, is not amenable to open market capitalism. We should have a universal government operated health care system open to everyone. I also believe in very tight government regulation of the financial and energy industries because left to their own devices they will insider trade, lie and cheat as much as they can to enhance profits. The first thing they do is destroy open and free markets.

I am strongly opposed to most conservative and all liberal firearms control laws because they are based mostly on class and not the individual's right to protect themselves.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Basically I think we see what more whatever turns you on has brought since mid 60's.Even the wealth sharing has turned out to be more people at the bottom sharing others wealth in the end and more debt.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Most people on these boards seem to say it quite a bit. Get in an group with mostly people under 30 and start talking politics and surely somebody will say if you vote Republican why not just move to Iran or Saudi Arabia where they have conservative regressive laws? I am not going to deny this is the case. Many conservative politicians do have theocratic leanings, sometimes scarily so, but I ask this: how is opposing gay marriage equal to killing gays like they do in Iran? How are abortion limits equal to the complete oppression of women and dominion of men like they have in Iran? How is being against completely esponging our culture of our religious heritage equal to having fundamentalist Islam as the state religion? Is the GOP really equal to the Islamic Taliban in the Middle East?

Let me add before you flame me: I am pro-gay marriage and pro separation of church and state. Abortion I am undecided on. I inherently am against it but I realize that isn't the politically correct viewpoint so that complicates things. I am not trying to defend regressive social politics at all: I am just saying even an ideal GOP world is a far cry from Iran.
How about having the "Ayatollah Beck" as a supreme leader?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
A lot of liberals on these boards and others consistently compare the Republican agenda with that of militant Islam in Iran or Saudi Arabia. I am asking them to logically defend that view.
You might also ask them if they support Dick Durbin's concept of journalism as a corporate function.
Quote:
...it’s someone who gets a paycheck from a media organization: “A journalist gathers information for a media outlet that disseminates the information through a broadly defined ‘medium’ — including newspaper, nonfiction book, wire service, magazine, news Web site, television, radio or motion picture — for public use. This broad definition covers every form of legitimate journalism.”
To which most any liberal must agree, along with shutting down Fox News.

Then they'll come for your right to express an opinion on an anonymous forum, see OP.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:58 AM

132 posts, read 182,494 times
Quote:
A hilariously WRONG statement; did you actually engage your brain before you typed this babble?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:59 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
A lot of liberals on these boards and others consistently compare the Republican agenda with that of militant Islam in Iran or Saudi Arabia. I am asking them to logically defend that view.
I don't think there is a defense.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:08 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
I think both parties, at different times, and for different reasons, push for a larger government.

If you look at the absolute size of the federal government, Democrats would unquestionably spend more than Republicans, even if Democrats shrank the defense budget like they might. Democrats would spend more on defense than Ron Paul - if only because the Dems would like the jobs. Democrats interfere on individual freedoms just as much as Republicans do - just different areas.

I want a less intrusive government. I do not follow the Republican party view on most social issues except abortion. I want no religion in government. The Constitution dictates that. If the founding fathers wanted Christianity in the government they would have written it in to the Constitution explicitly.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:34 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Quote:
Most people on these boards seem to say it quite a bit. Get in an group with mostly people under 30 and start talking politics and surely somebody will say if you vote Republican why not just move to Iran or Saudi Arabia where they have conservative regressive laws? I am not going to deny this is the case. Many conservative politicians do have theocratic leanings, sometimes scarily so, but I ask this: how is opposing gay marriage equal to killing gays like they do in Iran? How are abortion limits equal to the complete oppression of women and dominion of men like they have in Iran? How is being against completely esponging our culture of our religious heritage equal to having fundamentalist Islam as the state religion? Is the GOP really equal to the Islamic Taliban in the Middle East?

Let me add before you flame me: I am pro-gay marriage and pro separation of church and state. Abortion I am undecided on. I inherently am against it but I realize that isn't the politically correct viewpoint so that complicates things. I am not trying to defend regressive social politics at all: I am just saying even an ideal GOP world is a far cry from Iran.
Only the extremest of the extreme want a Iran-style religious dictatorship.

I would say it's more that many Republicans are strong protectors of the dominant power structure (white, male, straight, Christian, etc) and that they cannot fathom that there are different views out there. Therefore, any attempts to change the power structure are that's that need to be squashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies