Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should holders of state issued medical marijuana cards be prohibited from owning guns?
yes 15 16.13%
no 78 83.87%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:51 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Many of them do, but you won't read them. It's cool, I am not here to change your mind. It is ok to agree to disagree, but I am not going to spoon feed you information when you already said you won't bother reading info already provided. It's a waste of time. I don't care what you want to believe.
But at the end of the day one substance cannot KILL you while many legal substances can and do (in historically high rates in the case of prescription pills, cigarettes, alcohol and even cancerous foods and GMO's if you want to delve deeper) simply because they are manufactured by private corporations in the "free market" with proper warnings in place.

Government serves to protect LIFE and the pursuit of happiness, not a perceived mental state for a mass of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
But at the end of the day one substance cannot KILL you while many legal substances can and do (in historically high rates in the case of prescription pills) simply because they are manufactured by private corporations in the "free market" with proper warnings in place.

Government serves to protect LIFE and the pursuit of happiness, not a perceived mental state for a mass of people.
This is about GUNS and POT, not about medical marijuana use in general.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:58 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
This is about GUNS and POT, not about medical marijuana use in general.
The prohibition of marijuana causes infinite damage. It is all related.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Many of them do, but you won't read them. It's cool, I am not here to change your mind. It is ok to agree to disagree, but I am not going to spoon feed you information when you already said you won't bother reading info already provided. It's a waste of time. I don't care what you want to believe.
Point them out, the only thing I see is possibly, maybe, could bes, 'a relationship betwedn', seems to, etc.,not make a definitive statement about marijuana being THE causal factor for any mental illeness.

You seem to read what you want to read, saying for example mariguana use 'may' result in increased suicidal tendencies among those already having those tendencies DOES NOT mean that marijuana causes suicidal tendencies.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:45 PM

945 posts, read 968,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I was Just reading the Wikipedia article on the Gun Control Act of 1968 and came upon something interesting that I hadn't give much thought to before.....

Gun Control Act of 1968 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is kind of a tough one. Ultimately, I think that this is to harass both people utilizing medical marijuana and to gun rights, by the fed gov. People are still allowed to own firearms that drink alcoholic beverages and those that are on prescription medication, so my vote is no, if you are prescribed medical marijuana by a doctor and it is ok'd by the state, Second Amendment Rights shouldn't be affected. What are your thoughts?

Of course this shouldn't be allowed or enforceable. Otherwise, as you said all people who use ANY form of medication should be disallowed from owning firearms. The logic that anyone taking X drug will result in a death/injury/crime with a weapon is solely for morons to latch onto. The baseline of the specific personality in question on a case-by-case basis and the circumstances in their life is the true barometer for their propensity to be at risk to the general public.

I would rather trust that some of my friends with firearm experience, a good even-keeled personality and even under the influence of drugs/alcohol would be less apt to have a criminal event with a gun than others sober would.

Linking drugs to craziness has historical connections to people who had very little understanding of science and psychology. Yes, drugs can exacerbate bad ideas and potentially led to unusual acts because of chemical impairment, however the underlying persons native mental state is far more important.

Remember, I believe a commonly cited study says that roughly 25% of the US population has a 'mental illness'. We have millions of cops, government officials, hunters, military, etc that have and use guns daily as part of their job and have mental illnesses.

I'd recommend firing every single cop who has or is actively taken an SSRI or other psychoactive drugs from the force, and banning for life before I would even listen to one second of this kind of nonsense.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:15 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,513,609 times
Quote:
What exactly is the benefit of having habitual stoners running around with guns?
I think it's pretty similar to the benefits and drawbacks of having people who habitually consume alcohol running around with guns. Operating firearms while intoxicated is a bad idea. I don't see why the standard would be any different between booze and weed; carry sober, shoot sober. Period.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:20 PM

348 posts, read 336,671 times
Alcohol is more dangerous.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:27 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
I think it's pretty similar to the benefits and drawbacks of having people who habitually consume alcohol running around with guns. Operating firearms while intoxicated is a bad idea. I don't see why the standard would be any different between booze and weed; carry sober, shoot sober. Period.
Could that be the reason why 18 states wont allow you to carry if you are a habitual drunk

Old 07-12-2013, 02:29 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
NO! I feel safer with tokers owning guns than boozers! Alcohol is linked to most violent crimes, pot is linked to fast and junk food sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Except that tokers don't get violent. Alcoholics do.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:35 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You seem to read what you want to read, saying for example mariguana use 'may' result in increased suicidal tendencies among those already having those tendencies DOES NOT mean that marijuana causes suicidal tendencies.
This condition seems to be rampant in these threads. These people have their minds made up, so any rational argument goes ignored. Alcohol can be linked to far more health issues than pot, but facts like this doesn't jive with their long learned misconceptions.

I'm happy to see that only 15% are on the wrong side of the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies