Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 06:48 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The reality is it is such a large market with so many people some shops will locate there to serve that market.
That is not the reality that's why 3 mayors begged Wal-Mart to come into these areas. One location is in a decrepit shopping center without an anchor for 23 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 06:49 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Wow- Is that all it takes to get rid of Wal-Mart? Let's hope other cities do the same.
So? I just want to make sure I understand you completely..

You want cities to tell walmart to pay people more so they close their doors and put all those people with jobs, out of a job?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I hate it and already willingly pay more to shop elsewhere because it's what I believe is the right thing to do. As others pointed out above, going cheap is a sure road to the bottom. So I practice what I preach.
You have the luxury of options others do not.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:52 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Help me, I don't understand.

Why did they not make this wage the minimum for all businesses in DC ?

It was demanded by the UNIONS who have been trying to break into Wal-Mart for years.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Read the beginning of the thread. We're trying our hardest to destroy our national economic wellbeing with the cheapest wages, cheapest goods, worst infrastructure, largest class divide. Just like, oh, your average Central American banana republic.

Except those places are trying hard to lift themselves up, while we're trying to drive ourselves down.

And since I don't want to race to the bottom by living on the backs of minimum wage workers with no benefits, or the poorly-paid Chinese workers who create cheap crap for WalMart to sell, I don't shop at WalMart. I pay more for stuff. That's how I believe it should be.

I don't actually expect you to understand, but you asked.
Nonsense you know what passes for grocery stores in these neighborhoods? Poorly stocked mom and pop Korean stores that carry over priced expired items. Some of you literally have no clue how people live beyond your own narrow world and ideology. Yet you claim to be so concerned for the downtrodden.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:59 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Yes, we should. And the answer is that the right wants to completely eliminate minimum wage, so there's no way in hell it would be raised above poverty level. Ask Michelle Bachmann.
We should get rid of the min wage. Raising it doesn't reduce poverty or shift the profits to the workers. Raising the min wage does make labor more expensive though and we all know what happens when you raise the price of services/products.

What is the teenage unemployment again?

BTW, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Singapore don't have min wage laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yeah and when wage inflation causes prices to inflate we'll need to inflate wages again which causes prices to inflate.

Sounds like an inflation circle.
Yes, but it isn't altogether a bad thing either. There is a significant difference between min wage workers in Iowa and Louisiana. In Iowa they tend to be college students, but in Louisiana they tend to be HS dropouts. Min wages are very much a local issue that can only be addressed after taking the local market into account.

Quote:
Exactly. And consequently the quality of life sucks here. You want cheap, I want quality. You want those already at the top to have more, I want a more equal society. Not that it could ever be completely equal, before you jump in with that crazy "COMMIE!" stuff. Just better than it is now.
If your qualify of life sucks then you should move. We have 50 different states plus a few territories to choose from. I may not like the American culture or the crony capitalism the gov engages in, but the quality of life here is tough to shake a stick at.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
So? I just want to make sure I understand you completely..

You want cities to tell walmart to pay people more so they close their doors and put all those people with jobs, out of a job?
Wouldn't be the first time in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There is no shifting of welfare costs here, if the people of Walmart are working employees, then they should be given at the minimum a living wage, or what's the point in working?

Old 07-11-2013, 07:05 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
the UNFAIRNESS of a law directed at walmart, but would exempt other stores like wholefoods, and save-a-lot shows that the politicians there have an agenda they are pushing, and its not for the people

Old 07-11-2013, 07:08 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post

There is no shifting of welfare costs here, if the people of Walmart are working employees, then they should be given at the minimum a living wage, or what's the point in working?
WOW....I guess there is no point of working, you have the government to feed you, right..pay your bills....

That's what you lefties want, right....everyone on the teat....

Old 07-11-2013, 07:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I really don't blame Wal Mart: $12.50 an hour for part time workers (which many of WaMart workers are) would make it very hard for many companies to show a profit. WalMart stores are primarily designed as discount shopping, thus much of their pricing is designed to attract people who can not afford to shop anywhere else. On the other hand I understand DC and wanting to increase min wage. DC just remember if WalMart chooses not to open the stores, it will hurt DC. There are a lot of people who would be able to get jobs if the 3 stores do open. And a lot of people would have a place to shop they could afford. WalMart also often hires employees that otherwise would have trouble getting a job.

Lycos: There is a huge difference between min wage and living wage, they were never meant to be the same thing.. In Fact, in DC no one can live on $12.50 an hour either.

Last edited by nmnita; 07-11-2013 at 07:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies