Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
huh??

how dare you roll you eyes at me...what are you 16???

apparently you didnt read...or FAILED to read

of the 3 (THREE) items I mentioned all three are american companies, Cocacola is american made...so is DanRiver sheet sets..so is Nike (Oregon)

so you buy from local people...and you buy what...what their buyer got from china???

the FACT is a small mom+pop cant keep up ....not because of cheaper stuff. or cheaper quality...but becauise the BIGGER stores buy in BULK

most mom+pop store have trouble just getting the property taxes paid

you show a naiveness in your posts
No, but you keep picking on me about overpaying, when it's my choice to do so.

I buy from local people who make their own stuff. I buy on Etsy, which is artisans making their own stuff. I buy second hand where I can often get older American-made stuff, from before the el cheapo race to the bottom took over this country.

I read your post. I responded by saying I won't buy from crappy stores who buy lots of stuff from China along with their Dan River sheets. Not to mention crappy employers who treat their staff badly. So mom & pops can't buy in bulk -- exactly. That's why I say I'm willing to pay more. I want the money I spend to stay here in my community if possible. I even use a local credit union to keep my money in the community.

I'm sorry if that offends you. But yelling at me about overpaying isn't going to change my behavior, or my opinion of people who insist on being cheap and rewarding a few Walton heirs who sit on the butts and enjoy the life of leisure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 11:07 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Wal-Mart is a dump that attracts trash. Trash brings crime. They deal with China. They're slime with their employees & benefits. I'm surprised conservatives would even support such a filthy corporation.
huh

how is walmart any different from Target, Kmart, sears, sterns, bloomingdales, macy's, belk, tomlinsons, jcpenny, etc???

oh and btw who was on walmarts board for years and a suppliers board for years.....the clintons and the obama's

Old 07-11-2013, 11:07 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
The more you push minimum wage, living wage, etc., type laws, the more people you make economically irrelevant. I'm sure that somewhere in a deep hidden corner of Hamburger University, McDonalds has a prototype of a fully automated restaurant. But it probably isn't worthwhile until the cost of labor hits a certain point.

More and more jobs are being lost to outsourcing and automation. Pushing up employee costs will only accelerate this process. Either that, or providing the goods or services cease to be profitable, and the business (and the jobs it created) goes away. The third option is that it pushes up prices, so the customers have to pay more. In this case, the customers and the workers are likely in the same group, so it becomes at best a zero sum game.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:08 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
huh

how is walmart any different from Target, Kmart, sears, sterns, bloomingdales, macy's, belk, tomlinsons, jcpenny, etc???

oh and btw who was on walmarts board for years and a suppliers board for years.....the clintons and the obama's
Do they have the same policies as Wal-Mart? I actually don't know what Belk, Sterns or Tomlinson is, I don't shop at JCPenny, Bloomingdale's, Kmart or Sears, but I do go to Target.

I don't care much about the Clinton's & Obama's regarding Wal-Mart.

Last edited by northnut; 07-11-2013 at 11:26 AM..

Old 07-11-2013, 11:09 AM

Hey, OP, look down. This topic is already being discussed in another thread.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:09 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
But they can survive without jobs, eh? This was politically targeted to Wal-Mart existing stores are exempt.
I thought the piece said that existing stores get a 4 year moratorium.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:10 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
That's why Costco's CEO pushes for a minimum wage hike. It won't affect him, only his competitors. Shrewd.
Different business model Wal-Mart doesn't charge $125 a year to enter their stores. I love how libs think certain businesses are so nice. When the good times stop Costco will shave off labor costs like anyone else.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Different business model Wal-Mart doesn't charge $125 a year to enter their stores. I love how libs think certain businesses are so nice. When the good times stop Costco will shave off labor costs like anyone else.
Some businesses are nice. You can ignore it if you like, since it's all about you and today. Forget the future and your family, friends and neighbors.

Responsible Shopper: Guide to Promoting a Responsible Economy with Company Profiles, Green Living Tips, and Campaigns

Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
You can join Costco for $55.00 per year.

BTW, Sam's Club also charges a membership fee. What's their excuse for paying "Walmart" wages?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:16 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,406,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Whats wrong with minimum wage keeping pace with inflation?

This law probably wont pass because it takes aim at corporations, without addressing the underlying issue: minimum wage just isnt enough to live on anymore (and it used to be).

The reason minimum wage used to be liveable is because they didn't have to have things like cable/satellite and cell phones. That alone has shot up everyone's bills by at least $150 a month. Not to mention the stupid cost of gasoline and food (and other things). Minimum wage will never be live-able until living without cable or cell phones (and their data plans and all other non-essentials) stop being considered essential by those trying to live off of it. Yes, I know about housing and medical coverage - but these things are understood as reasons within the context of this conversation.

Last edited by Bulldawg82; 07-11-2013 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies