Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 08:21 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Except that Walmart doesn't pay slave wages. Their other practices are very questionable. restricting hours to avoid paying full time benefits, .

Hmmmmm... talk to your buddy Obama about that.... he's the one who has made it much more profitable for employers to restrict house to save health insurance costs. And it's not just Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Hmmmmm... talk to your buddy Obama about that.... he's the one who has made it much more profitable for employers to restrict house to save health insurance costs. And it's not just Walmart.
I don't think Tinman's buddy is Obama, you're knocking on a vacant apartment door here.

Tinman has no lost love for Obama. Read his posts, and you'll see.

If you were trying to flame Tinman, I think you just failed. LOL.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
How I wished they'd do that in my city.

[...]

I know the terminology "awesome" is old, but that's what it was.
WalMart doesn't tend to have big sales on grocery items though they will match at the register but that's a pain in the ass. There is a Harris Teeter at the same intersection as my WalMart. I'll buy some stuff there but never meat and most produce. Somewhat because I don't trust WalMart and mostly because WalMart customers have a habit of leaving perishables all over the store instead of putting them back when they change their mind. I then have this vision of an employee scooping up a rack of ribs after 8 hours and putting it back where it "belongs".

But somethings like candy (me loves candy) are up to 50% cheaper and I can't get root bear barrels at Harris Teeter.

Anyone that knows anything about HT knows they are the more expensive chain in the mid-Atlantic. They are doing fine. People looking for quality know where to find it and they have big sales people stock up. Milk is on sale this week which is extremely rare. Their house Spanish olives are $1 per 5.75oz jar (no I didn't have to look that up I'm serious about cheap olives) and that's a better deal for a better product than that mostly water crap at WalMart.

There is a Bi-Lo less than a half mile down the street and (for God knows why) three Food Lions within a few miles all on the same street.

So which one of these pays more? Which has the best prospect for promotions, ownership, and benefits?

And if I can shop smartly, why can't a poor person? Why deny them the choice?

Old 07-11-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
What choice are you talking about? Walmart TOOK AWAY THE CHOICE. That's the story of Walmart. That IS THE STORY OF WALMART! It destroys jobs, but do you care? Of course you don't. See that's the problem with right wingers. They're either ignorant of facts, or they have the facts and just do not care that damage is being done, as long as 1 or 2 are getting mighty rich off it.

[crap]

But I'm supposed to listen to right wing lies and take it all seriously. omg
You want the government to punish Walmart because it is the morally smug thing to do. The only store that shut down near me due to WalMart (allegedly) is the tiny True Value hardware store and they did that before WM even opened. That place was expensive.

So go on, I dare you. Go on the record in your own words that WalMart should pay 50% more for the same labor that stores that already charge more. That's what this law is all about. This isn't an arguement about WalMart. It's a debate on the D.C. law and WalMart.

If you stand for the law you stand for unequal protection and a new classing of the poor. Show me the CUNY report that shows everything will be okey dokey with the working poor when they have to compete with people willing to commute from outside of D.C. with better pedigrees. Show me the CUNY report that shows what happens when semi-skilled knowledge workers such as those working in bookstores jump ship to become dock workers because it pays better and therefore again blocks an unworking poor person from becoming a working poor person because the bookstore clerk just took his job.

See if you can stay on topic and tell us whether it is fair for WM to pay more because of who they are for the exact same job.

And there are no right wingers on the D.C. council and still three voted against this bill. The mayor will either veto it or face consequences.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
[quote=GCharlotte;30441382
Anyone that knows anything about HT knows they are the more expensive chain in the mid-Atlantic. They are doing fine. [/quote]

Krogers just bought HT.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:38 PM

Has anyone seen the full text of this bill? I didn't see it on the D.C. website. Apparently there's not a lot of technology up there to make pending bills available. Or at least I can't find them.

If anyone has a link please post.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:39 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
What choice are you talking about? Walmart TOOK AWAY THE CHOICE. That's the story of Walmart. That IS THE STORY OF WALMART! It destroys jobs, but do you care? Of course you don't. See that's the problem with right wingers. They're either ignorant of facts, or they have the facts and just do not care that damage is being done, as long as 1 or 2 are getting mighty rich off it.

http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/ccpd/repo...studyfinal.pdf

But I'm supposed to listen to right wing lies and take it all seriously. omg
Actually millions of people benefit from Walmart. Millions of shoppers save money. Millions of hard working people with a 401k benefit from their profits. Millions of employees have a job.

So listen to your left wing lies if you prefer, but the fact is that Walmart benefits society and if you took a vote, most Americans would prefer Walmart to your left wing big government solutions that increase costs.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:17 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Even being (barely) above poverty-level income, they'd still be eligible for benefits such as Section 8, food stamps, and Medicaid, because $8/hr in a major city is not enough to pay for rent, utilities AND food for a family. And you're right, they could be looking for a different job....one which pays a living wage. So good riddance Wal-mart.
One shouldn't look to make walmart a career job. It is a job for college kids, folks who want to earn some extra part time dough things like that. If you aren't at the point where you can get a better job then don't have a family to support on a walmart salary. Why is this so difficult to grasp? You folks expect walmart to pay folks enough money to raise a family on. Why should anybody pay somebody twelve bucks an hour to put cans of food on a shelf? My kids could do that when they were eight years old. Why just big box stores? Why don't they just raise the min wage everywhere in DC to thirty bucks an hour and all will be well right?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:20 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
This bill exempts any store who has organized labor. That alone tells you what it's all about. All the walmart ranting and raving we do is just the cover for what is really going on.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:25 AM

7,501 posts, read 5,749,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Considering it's the most corrupt city in the nation I suspect your correct.

I do wonder why people that work for minimum wage and don't like it don't find a better paying job? Somehow the idea of paying $14.00 for a burger because some kid flipping burgers gets $13.00 an hour to flip them doesn't appeal to me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies