Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 02:18 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Probably for the same reason you felt compelled to provide your useless input here? ^^^^
Oh yeah, I have no right to express my opinion on a forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 02:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Easy to say that....how many people do you know that had large families and stayed or moved INTO the city as opposed to the inverse?
Seems to be plenty of people in NYC that have families here. It isn't impossible to do.

And that is a large family these days? Does one really need 6-7 children? Heck, how many people even have 6-7 children these days?

Old 07-11-2013, 02:20 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Probably for the same reason you felt compelled to provide your useless input here? ^^^^

I mean, really all you were doing was flinging your opinion in the wind... when asked to focus on it.. you basically said "it's my opinion"..

Well OK...your oinion sucks..

better?

^shrugs^

Care to engage in more question begging...or do you want to make a point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Oh yeah, I have no right to express my opinion on a forum

Old 07-11-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Seems to be plenty of people in NYC that have families here. It isn't impossible to do.

And that is a large family these days? Does one really need 6-7 children? Heck, how many people even have 6-7 children these days?
compared to the 60's and 70's...even the 80's

it's relatively impossible...a family of 4-5 TOTAL better be making some serious dinero to nest in Manhattan anywhere lower than the west side 90's

even then...

Old 07-11-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
compared to the 60's and 70's...even the 80's

it's relatively impossible...a family of 4-5 TOTAL better be making some serious dinero to nest in Manhattan anywhere lower than the west side 90's

even then...
You do realize that there is more to NYC than just Manhattan, right?

Also, a family is typically 3-5 people, that can be done in NYC, even Manhattan if one wants to.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
You do realize that there is more to NYC than just Manhattan, right?
Hmm...let's see outside of Riverdale and Chelsea where would I want to live in the Bronx? Pretty much nowhere...got any quotes on 3-4 bedrooms in Riverdale? (Let's forget Chelsea, for the very obvious reasons... lol)

Heck, find me a place in Kingsbridge...not dangerous but close enough to the noise if I choose to go...there should be 3-4 bedrooms around $2200 right?

Queens? OK OK ... find me 3-4 bedrooms in a nice area...doesn't have to be TOO close..but not TOO high up like Jamacia Estates... that hour and change commute everyday will be really annoying..

Say, Forest Hills...?? something under $2500 for 3 bedrooms?

Brooklyn??? any suggestions? Bay Ridge?

Or do I need to troop way out to Staten Island...

clearly you figured this out the hard way or else you wouldn't be working in NYC and living in Bayonne, NJ. Which is a lovely neighborhood BTW. I miss it.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Also, a family is typically 3-5 people, that can be done in NYC, even Manhattan if one wants to.
Guess it's weighing out the trade-offs.... but 5 is a tough row to haul in Manhattan...

East Side is out of the question except for the VERY well off...and West Side..you gotta be pretty high up.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 PM

274 posts, read 470,501 times
Why would people would be willing to put up with NY with its high, ripped off, cost and lousy weather. This city is depressing and somewhat boring. Just go to Philly and the cost is reasonable. Your mood would brighten significantly. Otherwise, you can go Florida, Idaho and Tex. where they are cheap and attractive. San Diego is a steal for low cost at SRO's, where are nice. Forget NY!

Old 07-11-2013, 03:24 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I'd like to know what the median rent is. I have a feeling that the rising level of top level rents are driving the average up quite a bit.
I've been watching a dumb show on HGTV called "Million Dollar Listings - New York". After putting up with the fake & scripted drama between the real estate "brokers", it's amazing to see the prices per square foot some of the sellers are demanding - $2,000 - $4,000/foot!

Old 07-11-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Hmm...let's see outside of Riverdale and Chelsea where would I want to live in the Bronx? Pretty much nowhere...got any quotes on 3-4 bedrooms in Riverdale? (Let's forget Chelsea, for the very obvious reasons... lol)

Heck, find me a place in Kingsbridge...not dangerous but close enough to the noise if I choose to go...there should be 3-4 bedrooms around $2200 right?

Queens? OK OK ... find me 3-4 bedrooms in a nice area...doesn't have to be TOO close..but not TOO high up like Jamacia Estates... that hour and change commute everyday will be really annoying..

Say, Forest Hills...?? something under $2500 for 3 bedrooms?

Brooklyn??? any suggestions? Bay Ridge?

Or do I need to troop way out to Staten Island...

clearly you figured this out the hard way or else you wouldn't be working in NYC and living in Bayonne, NJ. Which is a lovely neighborhood BTW. I miss it.
Seeing that I am only paying $950 for a two bedroom in Bayonne, mostly because we are now planning a move back to Oregon, therefore it makes it easier to save. If you wanted Brooklyn, I would suggest Kensington or Sunset Park if you were looking to start a family for a reasonable price. Though Bay Ridge is a nice neighborhood as well.

If two parents makes about $60-75K a year each, Manhattan becomes a little bit easier to find something that would work for a family of 3, though I would prefer Brooklyn or Queens to raise a child over Manhattan, but that is my personal opinion.

Heck, if you look you can find a 3 bedroom in Park Slope for $3000, though you would be better off finding a 2 bedroom and still be in a good school district for a child.

The people who live here and raise a family here, learn how to make it work here. Just because you, nor I would want to raise a family here doesn't make it impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies