Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Again, people are not getting the point here. I am glad at least you did!

The Courts are screwing up kids big time. God is being kept out of schools, which is leading to the moral and ideological decay of American society.

And it is not only God being kept out; it is also Patriotism, personal responsibility, common sense, and free speech. But all these come with a good foundation from home and decent education and values.

Prayer was NEVER REQUIRED, but kids were allowed to pray or have Bibles in school. If I was caught with a Bible in a public school, I'd have been suspended, if not expelled. If I were to talk to other kids about God, I'd probably be expelled from school.

This is where the Court has infringed on freedom of religion (First Amendment) and freedom of speech.

That is why I say we need to get a new Supreme Court and start overturning these anti-Constitutional decisions issued by activist judges!
Which God would you allow in the public schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 09:41 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy
Again, people are not getting the point here. I am glad at least you did!

The Courts are screwing up kids big time. God is being kept out of schools, which is leading to the moral and ideological decay of American society.

And it is not only God being kept out; it is also Patriotism, personal responsibility, common sense, and free speech. But all these come with a good foundation from home and decent education and values.

Prayer was NEVER REQUIRED, but kids were allowed to pray or have Bibles in school. If I was caught with a Bible in a public school, I'd have been suspended, if not expelled. If I were to talk to other kids about God, I'd probably be expelled from school.

This is where the Court has infringed on freedom of religion (First Amendment) and freedom of speech.

That is why I say we need to get a new Supreme Court and start overturning these anti-Constitutional decisions issued by activist judges!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Kids are still allowed to pray in school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post

Kids can have Bibles in school.

Administrators cannot lead students in prayer. If you want church, go to church. My kids don't pray to your god.
(In reply to the red portion of the quoted post)And anyone who thinks prayer was never required obviously never went to public school in the 50s. I did, in several different school districts in two states, and believe me when I say that we were required to recite the morning prayers out loud along with the rest of the school. At 6, 7 & 8, it didn't bother me because I guess I just assumed everyone believed as I did. By the time I was 9 however, I was beginning to understand that not everyone believed in God and some believed differently or in other gods entirely. And I began to wonder what was the point of those who didn't believe praying to my God? That would be like me praying to Thor or Zeus or Ra or whoever.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:27 PM

37 posts, read 75,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
This wins the award for FAILTHREAD - The dumbest thread still running after more than a year.

Anyone who even acknowledged it (myself including) are actually dumber for ever coming across it.
I can't believe I read every post of every page. I just couldn't turn away.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:06 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
God shouldn't be forced on people who simply are not interested. Let the kids pray in the bathroom, or on the bus..I know I didn't want it forced on me. I was sent out into the hallways. I loved it. I got out of their silly prayers.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:15 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,349,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
No one has been able to disprove the existence of God either. You can deny it until you are blue in the face but atheism is a religious belief in the non-existence of a deity.
No. It doesn't take a genius level IQ to realize that not believing in something is different than blindly believing myths and fairy tales.

Christianity is just a bunch of myths and stories told to primitive people with no ideas of how the world really works. They were stupid then, and the people who still believe those myths as facts are stupid now.

God has been disproven. Simply because there are so many conflicting views of "god" there can't be one correct one. All of them are wrong because they are all primitive explanations for things that the people are either too weak or too stupid to grasp.

Your arrogance and egocentrism aside, your religion is no more a joke than Scientology, the Branch Dividian Cult or Druidism. The only difference is that you have more followers of your primitive cult.

If there was a god, why would he let so many horrible things happen? Why would he allow so many different religions and faiths to arise? Why would he allow violence in his name? Why would he allow us the abilities to create the technologies that render him obsolete?

Let me ask you this, what made YOU believe in God?
It will be one of three things: Indoctrinated, born again because of a tragedy or traumatic life event, converted because you were searching for meaning. There is no other reason to believe in such hogwash.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:42 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,215,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
It would work if it were true but it is liberals that are in control of the schools and the quality of education falls far short. They are more inteested in teaching the kids about homosexuals than they are about reading, writing and arithmatic.
Do you actually know ANYTHING about the Supreme Court Justices??

Old 10-26-2009, 10:49 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
David Barton of Wall Builders has studied the statistical records for the past 60 years. In each study you can clearly see a negative impact starting around the year 1962 when School Prayer was removed! Teenage pregnancy rates have gone up 500% since 1962. Unmarried mothers have risen dramatically since 1962. The divorce Rate is so high that many young children don't really understand what a family is. Violent Crimes have risen steadily since the early 60's, and our prison system is bursting at the seams. The SAT scores have steadily declined each year for 18 straight years since 1962 and continue to decline or be low. We once had the best school system in the world, and we are now ranked about 15th among the industrialized nations. This is despite us spending more money then any other nation in the world on our school system. As the poorly educated enter the workforce how can our companies compete with other international industries?
Here you can see the effect of removing School Prayer

Government Records show the top 7 leading problems in our schools ranked in order from first to seventh, 1940 and 1990. Notice the differences in type and seriousness.

1. Talking out of turn (1940)
1. Drug abuse (1990)
2. Chewing Gum (1940)
2. Alcohol abuse (1990)
3. Making noise (1940)
3. Pregnancy (1990)
4. Running in the Halls (1940)
4. Suicide (1990)
5. Cutting in Line (1940)
5. Rape (1990)
6. Dress-code violations (1940)
6. Robbery (1990)
7. Littering (1940)
7. Assault (1990)
It is interesting to note that Christian Schools have much higher SAT scores then the public schools, and yet they spend much less per student then the public schools. In fact David Barton says their scores are still near the 1962 levels! It appears that teaching morals has a very positive impact on education!

We have gone from public schools which taught moral principles and good citizenship with high scholastic achievement, to schools that have disrespect for authority, sex, drugs, anger, knives, guns, murder, no moral teachings, no mention of God and low SAT scores.

Our founding fathers felt that good moral citizenship was essential for the success of the new nation. Read their quotes on the next page.

Thank you, liberal-controlled Supreme Court for screwing up whole generations of Americans!

Do you agree or disagree with the Court on freedom of religion in schools???
But, we have children singing songs about 0bama!!?!

Old 10-26-2009, 10:57 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
There are a lot of religious types on death row, prayer didn't seem to help them and it wouldn't help the school kids either. I wouldn't be so quick to blame the schools. First look at the parents.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:01 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
No one has been able to disprove the existence of God either. You can deny it until you are blue in the face but atheism is a religious belief in the non-existence of a deity.
No one can absolutely disprove the existence of Thor, Allah, Zeus, Baal, Ra, Horus or any of the other 100,000 Gods that have been made up by humans since time immemorial.

However, it is quite easy to debunk the legitimacy and existence of the Biblical god simply due to the fact that the Bible is a blatant plagiarization of the earlier gods and myths of Sumeria and Egypt. Ditto with Jesus..

Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Actually, liberals have always been the defenders of education, knowledge, morality and truth. Liberals freed the slaves, gave women the right to vote and ended segregation - all in the face of Christian/conservative opposition. And you won't find any liberals lobbying to force garbage like creationism/intelligent design into our school's science classrooms..

So no, it is the religious/conservative right who depend on an ignorant population who are easy to control and manipulate. Educated citizens tend to fall away from the farce that is religion, and Christianity in particular. This is why you and your ilk hate schools and universities.
EXCELLENT post. + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
It would work if it were true but it is liberals that are in control of the schools and the quality of education falls far short. They are more inteested in teaching the kids about homosexuals than they are about reading, writing and arithmatic.
Really? I just graduated from high school around 2 or 3 years ago. I don't remember them teaching me ANYTHING about homosexuals. My sister goes to high school. She does not hear anything about homosexuals either. Any evidence to back up your conclusion that they teach about homosexuals more than reading, writing and "arithmatic"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies