U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:18 PM
 
29,409 posts, read 19,173,519 times
Reputation: 5440

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Spending skyrocketed in the last year of Bush's term in response to the recession. This is a dishonest comparison, since spending was unnaturally high when Obama took over. This years' projected deficit has been applauded by Liberals, but it's still double of what was the typical during Bush's two terms.
Yes I remember when liberals were howling at the moon about the deficit at 400+ billion and unemployment at 4.5 percent. They wanted Bush run outta DC. Now if its around a trillion dollar deficit and unemployment at 8% all is well. Obama the boy king is doing such a wonderful job in their eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
24,360 posts, read 12,107,468 times
Reputation: 4528
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Have they even passed a budget since the great O has been in office? Now your not counting the 16 trillion dollars the fed has shipped overseas to bail out european branches of US banks or the QE that is being pumped out month after month. It's all intentional to destroy what is left of the US in my view. They are just stealing what they can while they can before the house of cards collapses.
What does passing a budget have to do with the fact that the money was actually spend and we know what the amount was because it was recorded ?

so you have anything to back up your 16 trillion dollar claim ?

And LOL that they are trying to destroy America, since the House controls spending, why are you still supporting Republicans that you claim are destroying America ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
24,360 posts, read 12,107,468 times
Reputation: 4528
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yes I remember when liberals were howling at the moon about the deficit at 400+ billion and unemployment at 4.5 percent. They wanted Bush run outta DC. Now if its around a trillion dollar deficit and unemployment at 8% all is well. Obama the boy king is doing such a wonderful job in their eyes.
Bush was projected to have 8 years of surpluses and he ended up with 8 years of deficits because of his own choices.

The argument you can the other cons are putting forth is moronic. President Obama inherited a bad economy and a huge budget deficit, bush did not. It is indeed a dumb comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
24,360 posts, read 12,107,468 times
Reputation: 4528
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
wrong, when bush left office the debt was $10.7 trillion, and dont forget that obama signed the stimulus package into law which was $862 billion, and he also signed the omnibus spending bill which was $400 billion or so, so yes that gets added to obamas total. and the debt now stands at $16.9 trillion. obama promised he would be fiscally responsible, and he wasnt. his spending didnt have to happen, he choose to spend that money. everyone adds that last few months of the clinton budget to bush43s total, its only fair to add the last few months to obamas total, especially when obama spent extra money. that he didnt have to.
Again, you are stopping your estimate for Bush at 2008, but Bush was in office until January of 2009. He signed into law the 2009 budget, not Barack Obama, so it was Bush's budget, not Barack's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:28 PM
 
29,409 posts, read 19,173,519 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What does passing a budget have to do with the fact that the money was actually spend and we know what the amount was because it was recorded ?

so you have anything to back up your 16 trillion dollar claim ?

And LOL that they are trying to destroy America, since the House controls spending, why are you still supporting Republicans that you claim are destroying America ?
Yes go look at the audit they did on the fed reserve. It's right there or you can pretend it isn't up to you.

Most republicans and democrats in DC are one in the same anymore. You can LOL all you want as the decimate this great country and rob every dollar they can from this nation. I think it's sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:41 PM
 
4,130 posts, read 3,933,262 times
Reputation: 3041
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Barack Obama has been averaging $3 trillion/ year in spending which is the most of any president. Where are you getting your math from.

Oh I know, you're manipulating percentages. We don't spend percentages, we spend dollars. At that, Obama is the biggest spender in the history of our nation.
Ratios are elementary school math. If how they are used confounds you, then you need to get some remedial help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
2,225 posts, read 2,209,510 times
Reputation: 2691
There are at least two fundamental flaws with the article and with those here who are arguing in support of its conclusion:

1) The headline asks "Who was the biggest spender?" but then shows a graph of spending growth. Not to quibble, but biggest spender clearly relates to how much was spent, not how much spending grew. This is a major failure to back up their assertion with appropriate data. One can easily imagine scenarios where an administration might have large growth but still spend modestly comparted to another administration that started out higher and so have less growth.

2) Last time I checked, Congress has the authority to pass the budget, not the President. Sure, the President makes a budget proposal, and can veto the budget passed by Congress if he thinks it's a big enough issue, but particularly in the case of Bush in the last two years of his term the Republicans would have paid a serious political price for that. They would have been crucified in the media for one thing. Further, the Democrats had firm control of Congress in the last two years of Bush's term. The growth in spending at the end of his term and the budget during Obama's first year, is more appropriately labled the Pelosi/Reid budget, not the Bush budget.

IMO, this is a common issue in our media. There is a tendency to place credit/blame with the President without regard for what was happening in Congress at the time. In many cases, but not all, it's more appropriate for credit/blame to be placed on Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM
 
Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
26,284 posts, read 14,664,295 times
Reputation: 6900
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
the national debt when President Bush took office was 5.3 trillion, when he left it was 12.7

Our national debt currently stands at 16.7 trillion.

.
uhm

the national debt when bush took office was 5.87 trillion
whern he left it was 10.6 trillion

currently we are just short of 17 trillion

clinton nearly doubled the debt
bush nearly doubled the debt
obama is on track for more than doubling the debt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM
 
29,409 posts, read 19,173,519 times
Reputation: 5440
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Bush was projected to have 8 years of surpluses and he ended up with 8 years of deficits because of his own choices.

The argument you can the other cons are putting forth is moronic. President Obama inherited a bad economy and a huge budget deficit, bush did not. It is indeed a dumb comparison.
Bush didn't inherit a bad economy? Really? I guess you don't remember him making it worse by trying to spend our way out if it (something Obama should have noticed but didn't) then finally woke up and turned it around with the tax cuts.

Yes the fed sent 16 trillion overseas, yes there has been no budget since Obama has been elected, yes unemployment is wonderful at 8 % and the deficit just spot an at a trillion dollars under Obama but horrible at 4% unemployment and 400 billion deficit under bush according to the obama crew. That is what you are trying to sell. You will of course get some buyers but I aint on of em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2013, 02:00 PM
 
Location: 15 months till retirement and I can leave the hell hole of New Yakistan
26,284 posts, read 14,664,295 times
Reputation: 6900
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Bush was projected to have 8 years of surpluses and he ended up with 8 years of deficits because of his own choices.

The argument you can the other cons are putting forth is moronic. President Obama inherited a bad economy and a huge budget deficit, bush did not. It is indeed a dumb comparison.
bush was projected to have surpluses????...clinton never even had surpluses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top