U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 03:25 PM

24,420 posts, read 12,153,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not at all. People are responsible for spending bills THEY SIGN into law. If the net effect of that was added to the debt then yes, they are to blame. I never ever came close to suggesting that all of that spending was deficit spending because clearly it wasnt.

Either
A) Obama is a leader and thus responsible for spending he signed or
B) Obama is incompetent and not responsible for spending he signed

There are no other options.
only in your black and white world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 03:26 PM

9,244 posts, read 7,263,325 times
What do you make of this?

Surprise! Huge US Budget Surplus Shatters Record

69,360 posts, read 56,733,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I don't know really know what you're on about when you say government is "limiting competition" (other than it being a platitude you heard somewhere). Companies gobble each other up all the time, mergers and acquisitions. Seen the airline industry lately? Banking industry? Telecom? Is that the government limiting competition or corporations doing it themselves? M&As surged during the Bush administration.
Government legislation and limits people from starting up businesses, and since government is draining all of the investment capital from society, there is no excess funds to start a company.

Where do you think an investor who wants to invest in something will spend their money, with the government who has guaranteed treasuries, or with a startup business that will be saddled with unknown amount of legislation that no one wants to begin to compete?
Quote:
Right, consumers stimulate when they have jobs that pay money.
And government can not give people jobs, they can only hand out welfare.
Quote:
Uh, no, but there's another way. How about fixing roads and bridges? You set up a RFP to build a new freeway. Government hires a construction company that will in turn hire workers. More people now have jobs and can spend money. This is how the economy works.
Wrong, building roads and bridges only changes when the jobs take place. If a road needs repaired 2 years from now, and you repair the road now, it just means in 2 years, there wont be a job to be performed..
Quote:
Oh really? So why not fire everyone except my dad, and have him work 120 hours per week? Same "economic benefit?" Really? That's brilliant!!
If your dads stupid enough to work 120 hours a week, dont blame me.

24,420 posts, read 12,153,290 times
Quote:
Haha.. You make such a stupid scenario and when proven that your own scenario didnt result in surpluses.. I'm the dumb one.. oooh what a tool..
Good for you.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:29 PM

17,822 posts, read 12,401,974 times
Obama 's numbers are all theoretical or simply interpretive, out of context projections.

Obamaworld is not even a parallel universe, it is pure fantasy.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:29 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,115,141 times
Quote:
Government legislation and limits people from starting up businesses, and since government is draining all of the investment capital from society, there is no excess funds to start a company.

Where do you think an investor who wants to invest in something will spend their money, with the government who has guaranteed treasuries, or with a startup business that will be saddled with unknown amount of legislation that no one wants to begin to compete?

And government can not give people jobs, they can only hand out welfare.

Wrong, building roads and bridges only changes when the jobs take place. If a road needs repaired 2 years from now, and you repair the road now, it just means in 2 years, there wont be a job to be performed..

If your dads stupid enough to work 120 hours a week, dont blame me.
I might respond if it wasn't all platitudes. I guess that's the end of this discussion. Most threads here reach a brick wall at some point.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:12 PM

2,227 posts, read 2,219,418 times
Quote:

It's a different philosophy in economics and governance. You believe we can cut our way to greatness. I don't buy into that.
And you believe we can borrow our way to greatness?

Or perhaps that if we just took more property from productive citizens under threat of force and gave it to the special class of wizards in D.C. they would spend it more wisely?

Truth is the difference here is between a system that has created the world's strongest economies and a system that has never worked.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:13 PM

6,045 posts, read 2,964,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Barack Obama has been averaging $3 trillion/ year in spending which is the most of any president. Where are you getting your math from.

Oh I know, you're manipulating percentages. We don't spend percentages, we spend dollars. At that, Obama is the biggest spender in the history of our nation.
The OP listed a source from Forbes backing up his claims.

Forbes says "B. Obama Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower."
(And Forbes is a conservative leaning source.)

Old 07-11-2013, 04:18 PM

2,227 posts, read 2,219,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
The OP listed a source from Forbes backing up his claims.

Forbes says "B. Obama Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower."
(And Forbes is a conservative leaning source.)
You might actually try reading the article. If you had you might have noted the author's byline: "I write from the left on politics and policy."

Not so conservative really, and loaded with factual inconsistencies.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:18 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,115,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
And you believe we can borrow our way to greatness?
When interest rates are low, yes. Do you have a mortgage? Car loan? Student loan? Actually, we wouldn't even need to borrow that much if we had a progressive tax structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies