Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 03:43 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times

Advertisements

If I'm trying to start a landscaping business, and I need to hire somebody to haul large amounts of dirt and rock from place to place while I do the planning, planting, decorating etc....

...do I suddenly become responsible for they guy's family too? Or is HE responsible for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 03:46 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus loves you View Post
Minimum wage should be $12 an hour.... That's it.
I think it depends where one lives as the cost of living is higher for example if one lives in New York City or San Francisco than some other places.

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Some cities are passing a law called a "Living-Wage Law", that says someone working for a large retailer must be paid at least 1-1/2 times the city's Minimum Wage. The purpose, they say, is so that the person can support a family (I presume a family of 4?) on his wages.
A living wage is a death sentence to the lowest class of unskilled workers. It just doesn't make economic sense to set a wage higher than what a employer will give; a employee will agree too. As long as they are free to both walk away. . I don't believe in any wage floor

Reality is this

Bob capability is $7.50
Johns capability is $9.50

mcDonald's is okay with the lower capability of bob and pays $7.50.
John keeps looking and finds a job that matches his capability.

Now lets say the living wage is $9.5

Bob is out of the running
Mcdonald might as well always hire Johns, because at $9.50 they are getting a higher worker at the same price as someone like Bob

Bob is screwed

Living wage is one of countless ideas floated by unconstrained persons that doesn't really work in real life, because not EVERYONE has the same ability.

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
I tried, but the phone was busy.

What's YOUR response?
Have them collect from the debtors to whom they lent money or foreclose. That's my response, ya know , the market rate for assets...

Old 07-11-2013, 03:50 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
If I'm trying to start a landscaping business, and I need to hire somebody to haul large amounts of dirt and rock from place to place while I do the planning, planting, decorating etc....

...do I suddenly become responsible for they guy's family too? Or is HE responsible for them?
Apparently I am responsible for creditors. So again, may we discuss the distorted market in full rather than just the wage laborer?

Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM

304 posts, read 472,278 times
I'm told that Australia has a $15 minimum wage law and the guy i talked to says it worked out fine. Seems there's more money to spread around, once the adjustment is made.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,461 times
It's a changing world. We're overpopulated and major companies are doing whatever they can to ship jobs overseas so they can save a buck or two.
We can't dictate how many kids a family is allowed to have, so the population will keep growing.
The government can't force companies to keep their jobs within the US.
But the minimum wage has always been mandated by states and companies have to abide by that. If a similar law will make it illegal for companies to run without paying all of their employees a Living Wage as opposed to a minimum wage, there is nothing wrong with that.

There are less good money jobs out there and more people looking for those jobs. The jobs, like the burger flippers and others that can't be shipped overseas and will continue to grow. Nothing wrong with paying those workers a higher rate that keeps up with inflation. Anyone who disagrees, really just doesn't get the way that capitalism is supposed to work. Meaning growth is supposed to be good for all, not for few.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:58 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Yes it should be a minimum living wage, therefore the minimum can be tied to local areas better. Living wage in NYC is different than New York state. If one is working a full time schedule, that income should be enough to keep them from needing government assistance as will, currently that is not the case and we have private companies paying employees too little and forcing them to seek government assistance.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:02 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes it should be a minimum living wage, therefore the minimum can be tied to local areas better. Living wage in NYC is different than New York state. If one is working a full time schedule, that income should be enough to keep them from needing government assistance as will, currently that is not the case and we have private companies paying employees too little and forcing them to seek government assistance.
Put way better than I did.
The problems this could solve far out weigh the potential issues it could create.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Minimum wages was meant to be a wage for teens working past time not a livable wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies