Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 05:12 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times

Advertisements

Let's look at what happened with the federal budget last month. We had sequestration, which cut Washington's spending. So are the sequestration cuts going to continue? Not a chance.

Next we have the repayments of bailout money by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which constitute $66 billion of the $116.5 billion surplus (more than half). Nice, but if I loaned $50,000 to a needy relative and he made quarterly $2,500 payments to me a year later, it doesn't mean that I'm in much better shape financially this year than I was before the payment.

And of course we have higher taxes, up 10% since last year. Whoopie. I'm sure feeling WAY MORE prosperous when government takes an extra 10% (remember 2% of this tax increase is just because of the expiration of the Social Security tax cuts).

The federal government has still spent $510 billion more than it collected in taxes so far this year. That's added to the $17 trillion federal debt.

Yup, things are looking great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 05:13 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Ken,

I don't know you or the other posters here as I come here infrequently. So I have no way of knowing if you are left, right or center, nor will I assume you are a raving liberal just because you started this thread.
However, I must object to the terminology used, saying we had a budget surplus. These terms imply something to the low information voter/populace that are simply not true. We will not have a budget surplus for a very long time, regardless of which party is in the White House, or controlling Congress. So even if things are not as bad as predicted, or we even have a better than expected month here and there, we are in such a deep hole, that pronouncements like this actually do more harm than good.

We all need to be screaming bloody murder at our elected Representatives (regardless of party affiliation) to get our house in order.
Even if we have a few spectacular months, we need to demand answers as to why it has taken so long, and what will they be doing to sustain it.

I liken it to a family who is in financial ruin, yet the Dad brings home a raise of $0.10 per hour, and little Kate made $3.00 on lemonade sales. Sure it is something, but not anywhere near enough to get out of the hole they created.
The misconception that you employ is to equate a national economy to a family's economy. The problem the nation faces, and these numbers prove, is that the nation doesn't have a fiscal problem. But it does still have an unemployment problem. Thus, it makes no sense focusing on trying to balance the budget when millions are unemployed. Trying to cut spending to balance the budget prolongs the unemployment problem.

Why isn't an economy like a family budget? The key point is realizing interdependence: your spending is my income, my spending is your income, and if we all try to slash spending at the same time the result is a depression. Somebody needs to step up and spend when others won’t -- and the government is that somebody.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:15 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
The debt is still going up because we won't repeat June's success every month - but even considering that, the yearly deficit is FALLING, and falling fast. Unless it goes away entirely of course the national debt will still continue to climb.

Ken

Be sure to let us know when it gets back to "W" levels.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You are living in the past.

Dwindling Deficit Disorder

"and it is too small given the state of the economy."

Knew that was coming!

Now Democrats have an excuse to spend more money.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Be sure to let us know when it gets back to "W" levels.
Since Bush's last deficit was 2009, at $1.1 trillion, we're below Bush levels.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
"and it is too small given the state of the economy."

Knew that was coming!

Now Democrats have an excuse to spend more money.
One needs no "excuse" to do the right thing. It's only blind ideologues, who know little of real economics, who think differently.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Since Bush's last deficit was 2009, at $1.1 trillion, we're below Bush levels.

Sure, because Bush was still spending money in March of 2009.

http://articles.herald-mail.com/2009...-bill-earmarks

U.S. Mayor Article | President Obama Signs Final 2009 Omnibus Spending Bill, Increases Funds for Many Local Priorities (March 23, 2009)

Old 07-12-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Was Bush President on January 7, 2009? Because this was the CNN headline:

Quote:
$1.2 trillion deficit looms
Housing collapse and financial turmoil leads to steep rise in estimated U.S. shortfall for '09, Congressional Budget Office says.

By Jeanne Sahadi, CNNMoney.com senior writer
Last Updated: January 7, 2009: 5:00 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The U.S. budget deficit in 2009 is projected to spike to a record $1.2 trillion, or 8.3% of gross domestic product, the Congressional Budget Office said Wednesday.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:45 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
So much for the silly theory that Obama was going to bankrupt us. As the economy continues it's slow but steady recovery, the deficit is falling rapidly and tax revenue has ALREADY risen beyond the pre-recession levels.

"The U.S. government posted a budget surplus in June, the latest sign of rapidly improving public finances that could reduce the urgency in Congress to strike a deal to raise the nation's limit on borrowing.

Rising tax revenues, public spending cuts and big payments to the Treasury from state-backed mortgage firms helped the government take in $117 billion more last month than it paid out, the U.S. Treasury said on Thursday.

Analysts polled by Reuters had expected a smaller surplus of $39.5 billion.

June's surplus was the largest for that month on record..."

Surprise! Huge US Budget Surplus Shatters Record

Ken
Didn't you just get done telling me the other day that the Agency MBS purchase program of the FR barely affects the economy? Now you're posting a link where the majority of the "surplus" came from GSEs who've been receiving $40 billion/month for, what, two years or longer...

Old 07-12-2013, 05:49 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Was Bush President on January 7, 2009? Because this was the CNN headline:
I think its weird that you blame Bush for Obama spending, and the only time Obama is responsible for anything is when its good news.

hypocrite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies