Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:25 PM

563 posts, read 807,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Seeing old white men in office pisses people off too. Rascism and distrust has been around for a long time and will continue to be around for a lot longer. If it's not black vs white it's men vs women or the 1% vs the 99%.

The future's health depends on how many people in the middle of the extremes finally drop the race card and the "me" card out of their everyday lives and see each other and themselves as individuals.
That doesn't make sense, the "me" card is not individualism, maybe taken to an extreme, but still individualism nonetheless.

~never-more

Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 PM

515 posts, read 624,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
This is madness that zimmerman is considered white when he is half hispanic and why Obama is half white and considered black. Complete lunacy.

It is this simple: White and Black describe a person's race. Hispanic describes a persons ethnicity.

So, Zimmerman is White and Hispanic (yes, half hispanic on his mother's side.) Whether Zimmerman was 100% Hispanic or 50% Hispanic his race is always 100% White.

Obama is in fact bi-racial ( Half white, half black ). He may be partial to one side or the other but it is true that many people will identify someone for themselves based on appearance which is not always accurate.

If Obama had a hispanic background perhaps he would characterize himself as a Black Hispanic. Or, like many people with mixed heritage, he might decide to sidestep color or race and instead identify through nationality. i.e. "I'm Dominican".

Last edited by shamrockfisher; 07-11-2013 at 10:43 PM..

Old 07-11-2013, 10:36 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
If they go to whitey's suburbs, they will pick a safe area that has 'this is a weapons free zone' signs posted. And of course being the caring people they are, they will remove all the HDTV's from stores first before committing arson.
Heck, maybe they can get some busses and take a trip to Boston or NYC.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:36 PM

quote=dsjj251;30442805]That makes absolutely no sense. The people on the extremes still exist correct ? then they will still do racist things.[/quote]

Of course there will always be extremes. I am not sure racism will ever be exhausted but if enough of a majority begin to see things differently then true progress can be made and sustained and the extremes are mitigated.

Right now the extremes are supported by a very large cast of people on each side who may not act out in extreme but certainly fuel the fire of those who may.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post
If any of the threats happened, it would probably do far more for the pro-gun side than anything else reasonably imagined. You think guns and ammo are expensive and scarce now...just wait until angry black mobs start rampaging and burning white suburbs/homes/businesses.
Funny. Do you honestly think the people in the suburbs aren't armed ? Probably better than any black mob. Where do you think all those AK copy's (that have been rushing out of gun stores & shows) have
been going ? My Bushmaster against your .25 auto ? And where do you think all the cops would be ? out
drinking with the SWAT team ?

As someone that was in L.A. during the Watts riots , I find your post somewhat ludicrous. Watts burned
down Watts because they couldn't get out of Watts. In less than 16 hrs, Watts was sealed, under curfew,
& Marshall Law, with the National Guard pouring into the city. 34 people were shot between 8 PM & 7 AM
just for being on the streets. Do you think that wouldn't happen here ?

Armed soccer mom's vs rampaging black panthers, huh ? Sounds more like a you-tube video than anything else.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
I have to wonder...is that what Obama's son would look like, if he had a son?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
That doesn't make sense, the "me" card is not individualism, maybe taken to an extreme, but still individualism nonetheless.

~never-more

Without writing too much I meant people placing themselves automatically on sides sometimes before fully weighing the issue at hand. It becomes "me" or "us" against "them".

This is also how we stereotype or make racist jokes or gender based decisions instead of taking an individual for who they are and then deciding if they are good or bad, worthy of a job, acceptable as a tenant or neighbor, etc...

Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Why are you giving press to these clowns? Even the original movement whose name they stole have denounced them.
Um, I live in Kansas and I have to constantly hear about how the WBC that protests soldiers funerals etc chanting god hates **** is our fault and yet the founder is from MS and used to be an Al Gore fundraiser.

I 100% agree neither is fair, but around here there are political axes to grind.

Besides, the people that claimed that a Zimmerman acquittal would cause no riots and those of us that claimed differently (having friends beaten during the Rodney king riots) were racists.....I'd like to see them comment here.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:47 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Without writing too much I meant people placing themselves automatically on sides sometimes before fully weighing the issue at hand. It becomes "me" or "us" against "them".

This is also how we stereotype or make racist jokes or gender based decisions instead of taking an individual for who they are and then deciding if they are good or bad, worthy of a job, acceptable as a tenant or neighbor, etc...
Cracker. Can you read this? If so, that should tell you something.

Peace out N*******. (I didn't really type it, just *'s)

This displays much of what is wrong in US society. We still have racists, but we are trying to balance things out with some sort of "equitable tolerance" policy instead of zero tolerance policy. It gives strength to the clinging white racists and the emerging non-white racists.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:50 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Ohh,why are you guys scared of the 3 men who belong to the New Black Panthers?
You guys are paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies