Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 01:17 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times

Advertisements

In the event of death and that it can save someones life...

Do they have the right to their own body after death? Should it be a right to be buried intact if one wishes?

Is it selfish?

Why would existence bear any significance in having the sole decision in whether a lifeform can thrive or not?

How is it any more or less "moral"??

Old 07-12-2013, 01:21 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I'm fine with it. People have some weird ideas about their bodies and death and such. I don't, you can take it all. But I don't worry about people who want to be buried whole. I think it's stupid to be buried at all but that's a whole other issue.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:24 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
I think it's totally up to the individual, and should be our CHOICE to make while living. If the deceased's wishes are unknown, their body should be buried (or cremated) intact. As for myself, I am an official donor and have registered as such. Why should I care about my body parts after death, and what justification do I have to keep them from somebody who needs them?

But that's just my opinion, and I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they chose not to be a donor. Isn't that how the concept of choice (in terms of one's own body) works?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm fine with it. People have some weird ideas about their bodies and death and such. I don't, you can take it all. But I don't worry about people who want to be buried whole. I think it's stupid to be buried at all but that's a whole other issue.
You can "green" your burial. I don't an issue either way. Even in the context of cremation. Let's say the persons premise is that they simply don't want to donate to someone who may be "undeserving" for lack of a better word.

An ex-con...or a person who.brought their wasting on themselves. Etc. Etc.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think it's totally up to the individual, and should be our CHOICE to make while living. If the deceased's wishes are unknown, their body should be buried (or cremated) intact. As for myself, I am an official donor and have registered as such. Why should I care about my body parts after death, and what justification do I have to keep them from somebody who needs them?
Well your justification can be what I laid out above...or perhaps other justifications like skepticism about a black market. While that may be conspiracy theorish..who is to say it's unfathomable?

Quote:
But that's just my opinion, and I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they chose not to be a donor. Isn't that how the concept of choice (in terms of one's own body) works?
It's my opinion as well that it is how it works. And should be for anybody consistent with their principles. But

Old 07-12-2013, 01:42 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
You can "green" your burial. I don't an issue either way. Even in the context of cremation. Let's say the persons premise is that they simply don't want to donate to someone who may be "undeserving" for lack of a better word.

An ex-con...or a person who.brought their wasting on themselves. Etc. Etc.
Undeserving? What a spectacularly selfish way of looking at things. "I'm taking my organs with me, just out of spite, in case a smoker/drinker/ex-con/minority/47%er may need them."
That being said, your body, your choice. My son freaked when I asked him if he wants to sign his drivers licence. The idea of having anything cutting into him absolutely repels him. I can't even give him a flu shot. I certainly didn't pressure him. It's his business and his decision.
I don't care what happens to my carcass after I'm gone. I've signed my donor card. Take whatever you need.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Undeserving? What a spectacularly selfish way of looking at things. "I'm taking my organs with me, just out of spite, in case a smoker/drinker/ex-con/minority/47%er may need them."
That being said, your body, your choice. My son freaked when I asked him if he wants to sign his drivers licence. The idea of having anything cutting into him absolutely repels him. I can't even give him a flu shot. I certainly didn't pressure him. It's his business and his decision.
I don't care what happens to my carcass after I'm gone. I've signed my donor card. Take whatever you need.
Well, don't you feel that abortion in many instances can be selfish?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Well, don't you feel that abortion in many instances can be selfish?
It can be, I suppose. However, it's not up to me, is it? It's not my body. People can do whatever they like with their own bodies. What's your point?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:57 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
This is what freedom is all about, the choice to do whatever you wish with your own body.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:37 AM

Hey, whether I think it's selfish or not is totally besides the point. It's still their choice, and I would never deign to impose my values on someone's else's sovereignty of their own body. If there was a club for non-donors, I wouldn't be picketing outside, telling them how wrong they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies