Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2013, 12:25 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times

Advertisements

Im quite surprised they're taking as long as they are on a verdict. There isnt a lot of concrete evidence to go through. Just a lot of redundant testimony, and much of it meaningless. In this case, it should simply come down to was GZ defending himself and fearful, or not. This leads me to believe, the jury, is making it a lot harder than it needs to be, and taking into account things that shouldnt be.

There are only two charges. If they are struggling this long to make a decision then I believe they are infighting to a degree trying to get a unanimous decision one way or the other way. Or they arent really clearly understanding what 2nd degree murder or what manslaughter is, and what justifies the killing. Again, it should only come down to two things. Was GZ defending himself and fearful of his life or not...

Old 07-13-2013, 12:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That's probably because even the most ignorant of people know when they have been lied to and are wrong. I've seen quite a few shots of the protests outside of the courthouse and the crowds are downright small compared to the crowds we saw when the race pimps were out there stirring things up to get GZ arrested in the first place. People have heard the truth and they're realizing that they were protesting the death of someone who turns out to be a violent attacker.

There are, unbelievably, educated people here who still think there will be a guilty verdict. I would not totally rule out a few of the ignorant masses finding an excuse to steal.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:28 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I lived through the LA riots and I definitely do not feel that the same energy is in the air regarding this case.
Only people stirring the pot are the extremists on both side, the Black panthers and the White supremacists supporters.

Luckily they are fringe groups with little support.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:30 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
There are, unbelievably, educated people here who still think there will be a guilty verdict. I would not totally rule out a few of the ignorant masses finding an excuse to steal.
I know that's true, most of them just happen to be on CNN, HLN and MSNBC.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:31 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Good was a paid witness for the defense.

He landed a contract in exchange for his "testimony".

"Mantei also says John Good violated the witness sequestration order by meeting with the defense about their computer animation."

Zimmerman doesn't testify; defense rests | HLNtv.com
Here's NPR's Greg Allen.

GREG ALLEN, BYLINE: On that night in February of last year, John Good and his wife were watching TV in their townhome when Good says he heard sounds outside. In the courtroom in Sanford today, he told prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda he opened the sliding door to his patio and stepped outside. He saw two people struggling and one soon was on top of the other in a straddling position. He said he could tell it was serious.

JOHN GOOD: Because it looked like there were strikes being thrown or punches being thrown, but as I clarified, due to the lighting, it could have also been, you know, holding down.

ALLEN: This is a story John Good has told many times before. He spoke to police that night and, over the next 16 months, was interviewed by other police, state investigators, prosecutors and the defense. In an early interview, he said the person on top was, quote, "raining down blows in a style similar to MMA," Mixed Martial Arts fighting. In more recent depositions, though, Good modified that description, saying he's not sure now he saw any blows struck.
In the courtroom, he said he never saw Trayvon Martin slam George Zimmerman's head against the concrete as the defendant claims. De la Rionda picked up the questioning.

BERNIE DE LA RIONDA: The person on top - could you tell where that person on top was actually striking? And here's what I'm going to do.
(SOUNDBITE OF SLAPPING NOISE)

RIONDA: Were they going like this?

GOOD: I could not hear that. No.

RIONDA: Could you hear...
(SOUNDBITE OF POUNDING NOISE)
RIONDA: ...this?

GOOD: No.

ALLEN: Several other neighbors from the townhome community who have testified so far have raised questions about parts of Zimmerman's story. Except for John Good, though, none actually saw the fight before the shot was fired.
Under questioning by Zimmerman's lawyer Mark O'Mara today, Good confirmed some key parts of Zimmerman's version of events.

MARK O'MARA: The person who you now know to be Trayvon Martin was on top. Correct?
GOOD: Correct.

O'MARA: And he was the one who was raining blows down on the person on the bottom, George Zimmerman. Right?

GOOD: That's what it looked like.

ALLEN: O'Mara also got Good to confirm another key part of Zimmerman's story that the Neighborhood Watch volunteer was the one calling for help.

O'MARA: You now believe that that was George Zimmerman's voice. Correct?

GOOD: I never said that.

O'MARA: Do you believe...

GOOD: It could have been his, but I was not 100 percent sure.

O'MARA: I'm not asking for 100 percent certainty. I'm asking you to use your common sense and to tell us if you think that that was George Zimmerman's voice screaming for help, the person on the bottom.

GOOD: That's just my opinion.

At Trial, Witness Says Zimmerman Acted In Self-Defense : NPR

Old 07-13-2013, 12:32 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
I can't believe people are saying the riots will be as big as Rodney King. They are two different situations....one was simply a man killing a 17 year old kid and another was a whole Police Department discriminating openly against a race in the form of beating a man.

Anyways, so the verdict won't be released until Tuesday? I think he should be guilty of manslaughter, nothing more or nothing less, but I think he will be found innocent or hung jury.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:32 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I doubt he'll get convicted a murder, but there is a chance he might get convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

If the prosecution had no case, the jury would have deliberated already

Old 07-13-2013, 12:33 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Only people stirring the pot are the extremists on both side, the Black panthers and the White supremacists supporters.

The white extremists doesn't care either. Its not like G.Z is 100 % white ( as far as they are concerned ). He also have a Jewish sounding last name. But I think I know which people you are talking about and you are right.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:36 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post

Old 07-13-2013, 12:37 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Verdict will be in on Tuesday. Guilty verdict on the manslaughter charge.

Is that your guess, about Tuesday, or did I missed something while I was napping?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies