Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 01:41 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,108,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
What were the wounds on Trayvon Martin? Is there some evidence to suggest that Zimmerman punched Martin or had been beating him up pretty badly to justify banging Zimmerman's head into the concrete as self defense?

A person's talking to you or asking you a question doesn't justify punching them in the nose and banging their head into the concrete as "self defense".

You keep deciding that the only way that this could have gone down is according to GZ testimony. Why are you 100% sure that he's telling the truth about TM attacking him, when his NEN call said that TM was running away?

Self-defense doesn't just apply when you're losing a fight. If someone picks a fight w/ you and you're better, then of course you're not going to have any marks.

Quote:
TM's motives seem to have been to teach the creepy-assed cracker a lesson.

GZ's motives before Trayvon attacked him were not criminal.
What are you basing his motives on when the only corroborable piece of the story is that TM ran away from GZ?

Quote:
The prosecution's star witness (who must have had hours of coaching by Crump and co.) said he had made it home:

"I asked him where he at, and he told me he at the back of his daddy fiancee house."
Yes. And? Your argument for why TM deserved to die was b/c he didn't run into his house?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:41 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,325 times
Quote:
Who said that he wanted to detain Martin? Maybe he just wanted to talk to him or to spot him so that he could direct the police to him. We don't even know if Zimmerman's intent was to even talk to him at all. Based on Dee Dee's testimony unfavorable to the prosecution (which suggests credibility) he had made it home, but the altercation occurred away from the house. Trayvon may have approached Zimmerman and asked, "Why you followin' me?" or "Do you have a problem?"

Maybe what Zimmerman did was ill-advised in terms of his own personal safety, but it's not illegal nor immoral nor even necessarily improper.

Coincidentally, it's a good thing he had the gun on him or this could have been a case where Trayvon Martin was being prosecuted for the murder or attempted murder of George Zimmerman.
Say what you want, but following a stranger (who you believe is a criminal) around in the dark is NOT a good idea. No good can come from it and it didn't here. Interfering in what is possible police business is not a good idea. For that alone, he should've done time. Giving people license to play cop until the cops get there is a terrible message to send.

Let's suppose Trayvon did turn back and ask Zimmerman why he was following him. That's not a crime, right? You folks have insisted that following someone is not a crime, so I guess it should be no problem if Trayvon followed Zimmerman, right? I mean, maybe he was trying to find out where he went to tell police about the creeper?

For some here:
Zimmerman following Trayvon=innocent pursuit of possible criminal
Trayvon following Zimmerman=thug on the hunt to kill

Do you not spot the hypocrisy?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:42 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,222,755 times
I wonder if they caught the burglar yet...

Old 07-14-2013, 01:42 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Why do you assume only Black people care about justice for Trayvon?
Actually, most members of my family, including my wife and parents, thought (and probably still think) Zimmerman should have been found guilty. That seemed to be the view of members of my extended family (mostly middle class and upper middle class whites). Many white people seem to think he was guilty, including talking heads on TV.

I'm not sure you can say the same thing in reverse. Are there many blacks who think Zimmerman is innocent?

Quote:
What are you doing to fix the problems in your own community? When did whites suddenly become a crime free race?
What some people might be objecting to is that blacks have become so emotionally involved with the case and see it as another instance of racial collectivism and refusal to acknowledge responsibility for black youth violence. I think the emotion has less to do with that and more to do with a mythology that a young boy was innocently walking home and that a white guy followed him and shot him.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:44 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,776,862 times
No he didnt

But there is proof that he was beating him up breaking his nose and bouncing his skull of the cement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot;30474471[B
]Zimmerman initiated the entire turn of events, by exiting his vehicle.[/b] No good could come from doing that.

There is no proof that Martin started the attack (only that he bested him in the physical confrontation).

Old 07-14-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Do you agree that Zimmerman's history suggests a proclivity to being a hothead and not being afraid to fight/start a confrontation?
What incidents are you referring to?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:46 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
[/b]

It's not a race issue. What sane individual walks into a crowded theater and opens up on innocent movie attendees? What sane individual walks into a school and opens up on a classroom of children? Even the gangbangers wouldn't do that.. That is insanity.. Are there white criminals? You bet there are. Even my people have criminals. All races have criminals. Sadly the black youth in our major cities have turned to the drug culture and as you said protect their turf. They would do the same if they were running whores, gambling or any other number of illegal activities.. It's not the nature of black youth, but rather the nature of a gang mentallity... Where I live, we have the same thing among the hispanic community.
Crime is not always rational. Again, I reject the notion of insanity and instead believe these are pissed off people looking for infamy.

I continue to assert that legalizing drugs will greatly curtail the violence in inner cities, not to mention arrests for drug crimes. Not sure when that will happen and until it does, I have no real hope that true change (re: inner city violence) will come.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Yes. And? Your argument for why TM deserved to die was b/c he didn't run into his house?
It's evidence that his motive was to hunt down Zimmerman and start a fight with him.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:48 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,776,862 times
He didnt

You dont

He didnt

Quote:
But for the fact that Zimmerman had a gun, he would not have attempted to detain Trayvon. This sort of behavior is extremely dangerous. Had Trayvon been a hardened criminal, Zimmerman could have died that night.

I do not want to live in a society where gun carrying men/women think it is within their rights to attempt to intervene in what should be official police business.

For his error in taking the law into his own hands, I believe Zimmerman should have been found guilty of manslaughter.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:49 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
Quote:
What incidents are you referring to?
His three prior arrests. Two for domestic violence and one for assaulting a police officer. And the claim by his cousin that he molested her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.