Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 08:11 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
For the last few minutes I have felt bad/guilty, about any disrespect that I may have showed you in this thread, I apologize if I did.

I have reflected on our posts in this thread for a while, and at this moment I am thinking that liberals and conservatives are more alike in (certain) ways, than either side really realizes. I'm not saying we should love each other, but maybe liberals bash Bush, the same way conservatives bash Obama (and both sides rarely see it.)

Have a good one BigJon,
Chad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 08:17 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The Emancipation Proclamation!
Uh, okay. But Lincoln did that. Did you have some nefarious meaning behind that statement or are you just making a statement?

Old 07-12-2013, 08:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Uh, okay. But Lincoln did that. Did you have some nefarious meaning behind that statement or are you just making a statement?
Just being my usual snarky self!

Old 07-14-2013, 10:44 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,354 times
Quote:
So the poor whose savings were being eaten away by inflation was a good thing now?

I think some of you are good hearted but horribly naive when it comes to economics. Using a blog post to justify the failed policies of the 70's is lame though even for the naive good hearted liberal left.
You really need to start practicing your reading comprehension. They actually test that skill before admitting applicants to government positions, law enforcement positions and graduate school. Nearly everything you stated in your comment above is off base. If you think this thread, or the point of my post that you referenced, are really about Carter's policies, then your reading comprehension is seriously lacking. And if you think my post, or the linked article in it, were justifying Carter's policies, then you probably dont know how to even read, because it was doing the exact opposite. Go back to school.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:46 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Yes, Republicans talked a lot about how awful Carter was even after he left office. They blamed every single crisis on him from Iran to Cuba to the deficit.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 AM

27,137 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
Are you serious? Republicans are STILL obsessed with Carter. It was much worse back then. Over 30 years and several presidents later they still just can't put the Jimmy Carter presidency behind them.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...e-economy.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...sh-rocked.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...cain-bush.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...er-carter.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...my-carter.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...arter-led.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...r-now-2nd.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-two-peas.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ma-carter.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...han-obama.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...red-obama.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...tter-past.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...sin-calls.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...st-moment.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...rter-high.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-he-worst.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...an-carter.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...out-jimmy.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ver-again.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...2-barrack.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...nally-has.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...tus-obama.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...y-carters.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...s-part-ii.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ean-obama.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...my-carter.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-similiar.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...nce-jimmy.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...y-similar.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ter-obama.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...rter-will.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ck-carter.html

One could construct a similar list on Hoover, FDR, Eisenhower. so on and so forth too.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:01 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
One could construct a similar list on Hoover, FDR, Eisenhower. so on and so forth too.
Exactly. The op is trying to act like this only something democrats do. Thanks for the further clarification.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:17 PM

494 posts, read 804,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Actually note, this is from Reagan's 1983 State of the Union where he still blamed Carter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
People like knowing the cause and effect of the things around them, and GW Bush is the cause of all of our present problems.

When GW Bush took office we had federal surpluses, and Americas national debt was very low and fully under control. But GW Bush gave Americas rich a $2.5 trillion dollar tax cut, and he added that $2.5 trillion dollars to our national debt.

And the reason we must talk about GW Bush is because his tax cuts for the rich happened while Obama was in office. These tax cuts caused huge deficits (while Obama was in office), and these deficits took money away from government programs that make America an advanced society.

Then GW Bush made countless false statements about Iraq and Sebt 11. Then GW Bush attacked Iraq for nothing and wasted $800 billion dollars doing it (and that $800 billion dollars went to our national debt.) And at this very moment GW Bush's for nothing Iraq war is wasting billions and billions and billions of dollars.

If GW Bush never got elected our national debt would be at G(H)W Bush and B. Clinton levels, our national debt would be at around 65%-to-GDP. But because of GW Bush our national debt is at 100%-to-GDP and America is short on money and deep in debt.

Your kind can whine all you want. But you will have to (physically) shut my mouth, before I join your cult where no one can talk about the past.
So now you are saying Clinton had NO HAND in the disaster that unfolded a few years back? You are saying none of Clintons policies have helped to significantly raise spending?

Amazing how SOOOOOOO MANY refuse to acknowledge that Clinton has played a HUGE role in our spending ways in recent years. need i remind anyone about the Glass Stegal act? Repeal of Glass-Steagall Caused the Financial Crisis - Economic Intelligence (usnews.com)

See how Clintons war on parents ( refuse to call it the scam he did to get it passed ) has been working out and what the feds spend ( 100s of BILLIONS ) years for that. I can go on?

In short.. Clinton took a great economy while in office and destroyed it via his awful policies that were felt AFTER he left office. People need to get a grip where Clinton is concerned. He was a epic fail.

Last edited by HarryBTL; 07-14-2013 at 02:26 PM..

Old 07-14-2013, 02:19 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Though not exactly the same, the election of Reagan took place during an economic crisis and signaled an era of change from a very unpopular Carter. Obama is no doubt the liberal Reagan. He is very popular with everyone except the far right which he couldn't please no matter what he did. However, in everyday conversation with liberals you can almost expect Bush to be brought up. Obama has done some things, such as wiretapping, that have disappointed the entire nation even those who voted for him. When you ask them about it, the answer is generally Bush was as bad or worse. Obama still has not taken ownership of the economy (which is getting better just very slowly) and blames Bush for the lackluster recovery despite having been in control of it for 5 years. Anything Obama does wrong, it is always justified because Bush was worse. Bush hasn't been President for 5 years now so its time for Obama to be judged on his own merits rather than by how bad Bush was.

I don't remember so much obsession with Carter during the 1980s but there could have been.
I dont seem to remember social media or upteen cable news outlets or blogs and phoney internet news sites durring the Carter Adminstration either.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:25 PM

494 posts, read 804,490 times
Oh and to the topic NO. Yeah there was Jokes about Carter ( Peanut gallery, liver pills, etc ) but that was the extent of it. Was jokes about Reagan too and thus see the infamous Reagonomics jokes for one.

People don't seem to grasp that it is hard for Obama to clean up the mess because the mess was greatly helped by another dem and thus Clinton which many refuse to talk about. Much easier to just blame Bush who yes i know played a role as well. It is almost a given Obama never will clean up the mess fully because of it and unless the GOP drops the neoconservatives on their rotten heads they wont fully do it either. People voting strictly along party lines ( or because they hate the other side ) need to take a huge step back and think about what they are doing. It is not helping ( either party ) in the least bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies