Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 03:36 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times

Advertisements

This has become an all too common occurrence. SWAT should be used only when there is a good reason to expect an armed conflict. This one appears to be way over the top.

Or government has become so powerful that it can abuse its power with impunity.

A local SWAT team working with the U.S. Park Police raided the Herndon, Va. home of libertarian activist Adam Kokesh shortly before 8 p.m. last night. Kokesh was arrested and "charged with possession of schedule I or II drugs while in possession of a firearm," according to the Washington Post (The drug: psilocybin mushrooms.) The raid--which a Kokesh roommate says involved a SWAT team knocking in Kokesh's front door then tossing a flashbang into the foyer--likely resulted from a video that shows Kokesh loading a shotgun in Freedom Square in D.C. on July 4th, in violation of D.C. law (I say "likely" because the U.S. Park Police has yet to confirm the video's role in Kokesh's arrest).

SWAT Team Raids Home of Libertarian Activist Adam Kokesh, Arrests Him on Drug and Gun Charges - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 04:32 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
It can, and it does...more and more and more...that what happens when you trade liberty for so called security.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:45 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,964 times
He's treated like a terrorist because he loaded a shotgun in DC, but a TV personality brandishes an illegal magazine in DC and isn't hassled at all.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 07-12-2013, 06:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
this happens all to often around the country. police departments spend a lot of money training and equipping swat teams, and have decided that they need to get some return on their investment. swat teams are there for a good reason, too bad they are being misused far too often.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:04 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
We NEED a million patriotic Dorners!!

Old 07-12-2013, 09:13 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
The police are more and more becoming paramilitary. Really, a flash bang.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:47 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This has become an all too common occurrence. SWAT should be used only when there is a good reason to expect an armed conflict. This one appears to be way over the top.

Or government has become so powerful that it can abuse its power with impunity.

A local SWAT team working with the U.S. Park Police raided the Herndon, Va. home of libertarian activist Adam Kokesh shortly before 8 p.m. last night. Kokesh was arrested and "charged with possession of schedule I or II drugs while in possession of a firearm," according to the Washington Post (The drug: psilocybin mushrooms.) The raid--which a Kokesh roommate says involved a SWAT team knocking in Kokesh's front door then tossing a flashbang into the foyer--likely resulted from a video that shows Kokesh loading a shotgun in Freedom Square in D.C. on July 4th, in violation of D.C. law (I say "likely" because the U.S. Park Police has yet to confirm the video's role in Kokesh's arrest).

SWAT Team Raids Home of Libertarian Activist Adam Kokesh, Arrests Him on Drug and Gun Charges - Hit & Run : Reason.com
...that'a what those law abiding american citizens of japanese decent asked in 1942 when they were herded off to internment camps...sorry to say, this sh*t isn't new

Old 07-13-2013, 01:48 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The police are more and more becoming paramilitary. Really, a flash bang.
It's a RUSH, man!

Plus, it's good training and good equipment-procedure testing.

Just like Viet Nam, man.

John McCain got to play with an airplane.

And, so did George Bush, sorta.

"Look Dad, I'm flying!"

With George Bush, it was more, "Look Dad, I'm getting high!"

Last edited by Nonarchist; 07-13-2013 at 01:56 AM..

Old 07-13-2013, 01:51 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
I remember this guy, he was that ultra-right wing nutcase that was promoting an armed march on DC, and he was the only one that showed up LOL!

Old 07-13-2013, 03:23 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I remember this guy, he was that ultra-right wing nutcase that was promoting an armed march on DC, and he was the only one that showed up LOL!
So Libertarian = Ultra right wing nutcase?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies