Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:41 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,752,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Interesting that you singled out food stamps while ignoring farm subsidies.

Food stamps are going to the people that need them, they are high levels because of the economy, that is why we have the program in the first place. No one wants to remain on food stamps, they need a safety net because they are out of work.
We posts signs not to feed the animals because they will become dependent on hand outs yet we don't have the respect and decency to treat our own the same way. Food stamps are god extreme circumstances? Unfortunately more people receive them now than don't. So either two things are happening.

This administration has such a poor record of creating jobs they over HALF of the population is in dire straights and needs them

This administration is handing out food stamps for folks who are able and willing to work creating dependence on government hand outs.

So which one is it there Einstein?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 01:50 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
We posts signs not to feed the animals because they will become dependent on hand outs yet we don't have the respect and decency to treat our own the same way. Food stamps are god extreme circumstances? Unfortunately more people receive them now than don't. So either two things are happening.

This administration has such a poor record of creating jobs they over HALF of the population is in dire straights and needs them

This administration is handing out food stamps for folks who are able and willing to work creating dependence on government hand outs.

So which one is it there Einstein?
Your blanket statement about who is receiving food stamps is flawed. You need to look at the demographics of food stamp recipients. Many are senior citizens who have worked all their lives and are retired on fixed income. Neither statement you made is absolutely true. The truth falls somewhere in the middle.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Your blanket statement about who is receiving food stamps is flawed. You need to look at the demographics of food stamp recipients. Many are senior citizens who have worked all their lives and are retired on fixed income. Neither statement you made is absolutely true. The truth falls somewhere in the middle.
72% go to families with kids.
25% go to seniors and disabled.

The majority of food stamps go to families that cannot afford to raise kids on their salaries.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Just because a percentage that receive food stamps are elderly doesn't make the statement that there are those who are perfectly able to provide for themselves receiving them.

I am not here to argue that it's a large number because it's irrelevant. Anything you subsidies will continue to grow.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:06 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, not all. It may benefit your community but I put in 2 zip codes from where I've lived.
One has a wealthy lawyer who lives in town getting subsidy money.
Another has a land developer who made out quite well with the housing boom in Austin getting money.

The small farmers I know that got government help had to go through the conservation programs. Direct subsidies are for the bigger farmers.

I'm in an area of cotton/corn/sorghum subsidies and they don't provide the community directly.

How many people/farms are listed in each zip code you checked?

Old 07-13-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So? There are still food stamps. It's time to dump the able bodied off these programs and focus on the true needy. One out of seven people on food stamps is too many and it's time to turn things around.

Blah blah blah. How about some substance instead of vapid, tired talking points?

The working poor are able bodied - which is why they are working.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I suspect the majority also have the more expensive cell phones, cable television and a lot of luxuries they could give up.

You don't understand how us taxpayers have to cut back in other areas when taxes are raised. Some of us have never taken our kids to Disneyland, we don't have iPhones but the cheaper pre-paids. For taxpayers every tax hike means we tighten our belts in some way, very often at the grocery store.

Suspect all you want. Until you post facts, I'll continue to call you out on your bull****.

I don't understand cutbacks? What do you think? I'm rich or that I'm on assistance?

I think you need to educate yourself a lit--- no, a lot.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Hmmm...where did I put that violin?

You got it bassackwards.

People are out of work because they don't need to work when the nanny state buys their food.

My husband could quit his job tomorrow and we'd be eligible for every type of assistance imaginable. So could you and millions of others. But we don't. You know why? Because your asinine, immature and totally illogical statement is completely untrue and rooted in hate and ignorance.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I just walked to the corner store to get a couple bottles of what the rest of the country calls "soda".

The young man in line in front of me paid for his Mountain Dew with a Bridge Card.

I don't care what his excuse is for being a mooch because a healthy young man half my age can work for the money to buy his own ****in' Mountain Dew or he can do the unthinkable and simply drink tap water.

When I was his age, young men would be too ashamed to use what were then food stamps.

The culture has changed and for the worse.

How do you know this guy doesn't work? Did you know there are families where both parents work, sometimes more than one job each, who STILL qualify for assistance?! EDUCATE yourself!!!

How old are you? I can almost bet you were born between the 30s and 50s and benefitted from increased government spending yet turn around and **** all over the poor today.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
72% go to families with kids.
25% go to seniors and disabled.

The majority of food stamps go to families that cannot afford to raise kids on their salaries.

And that is the fault of whom?????????

Many of those families include disabled, elderly and/or working poor. Not only that but many of these families were begun before the economy took a big heaping nosedive.

Blame the system that allows people to work their asses off and still not be able to afford the necessities of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies