Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 08:34 AM

20,627 posts, read 19,289,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Succinct articulation is not your strong point. Do I get college credit if I watch the video, read the text and not blow my brains out?
GMOs might be bad.

How's that?

Old 07-13-2013, 10:59 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,766,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I'm just looking at it from a persuasive standpoint. Who's your audience? What's your goal?

The thread subject shows bias and then the contents are overwhelming to "prove" it. Skeptics aren't likely to sit through all of that because they think your mind is made up but your goal is to change theirs.

If true education is the goal, I'd stick with byte size morsals. Though I may be cynical after the last few weeks here
I appreciate the guidance, and somewhat disturbing need to manage my posts. My goal was to answer as many of the questions in a single thread as possible. I was targeting people who actually wanted to learn some good information, and put 2 and 2 together. Anyone not willing to watch the first video was not who I was engaging with. Those people will go on believing Monsanto and large corporations wouldn't do anything to harm them, at their own peril. Much like sheep to slaughter.

There is no way to be neutral on the subject. Monsanto's quest for world food dominance has become overwhelmingly transparent as they force small farmers into bankruptcy, corner the food chains of entire countries, and take over the management entities (FDA, CFIA) by putting in their own cronies in places of power, via the politicians they've bought off.

The Secretary of Agriculture is Tom Vilsack, the former Governor of Iowa who also happens to be a long time advocate of Monsanto. In other words he's a bought man. His assistant secretary and half of the staff over at the DoA are former Big Agra execs.

Anyone who is interested in the Big Agra pawns should read this:
USDA Watch

Since Obama took office he has approved Alfalfa and Sugar Beets to be modified and sold in the US. This, at a time when other countries such as ALL EU MEMBERS, Russia, Sweden, Norway, have banned GMO altogether, we are expanding the usage. This country is regressing into a herd of mindless idiots, with zero critical thinking skills. Progressives cheer OWS, and rail against corporations, while happily ingesting food that is up to 70% gene modified, and making Monsanto richer for it. Anyone that hates WS and corporations should view Monsanto and DuPont as tyrants and murderers.

OpEdNews - Article: Big Agra and big Pharma rule in Washington

IF breathing air makes me pro-oxygen, and wanting healthy food makes me anti-GMO, then sobeit. If that is Biased, then HELL YES I'M BIASED!

Last edited by steven_h; 07-13-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 07-13-2013, 11:20 AM

50,470 posts, read 36,126,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I appreciate the guidance, and somewhat disturbing need to manage my posts. My goal was to answer as many of the questions in a single thread as possible. I was targeting people who actually wanted to learn some good information, and put 2 and 2 together. Anyone not willing to watch the first video was not who I was engaging with. Those people will go on believing Monsanto and large corporations wouldn't do anything to harm them, at their own peril. Much like sheep to slaughter.

There is no way to be neutral on the subject. Monsanto's quest for world food dominance has become overwhelmingly transparent as they force small farmers into bankruptcy, corner the food chains of entire countries, and take over the management entities (FDA, CFIA) by putting in their own cronies in places of power, via the politicians they've bought off.

The Secretary of Agriculture is Tom Vilsack, the former Governor of Iowa who also happens to be a long time advocate of Monsanto. In other words he's a bought man. His assistant secretary and half of the staff over at the DoA are former Big Agra execs.

Anyone who is interested in the Big Agra pawns should read this:
USDA Watch

Since Obama took office he has approved Alfalfa and Sugar Beets to be modified and sold in the US. This, at a time when other countries such as ALL EU MEMBERS, Russia, Sweden, Norway, have banned GMO altogether, we are expanding the usage. This country is regressing into a herd of mindless idiots, with zero critical thinking skills. Progressives cheer OWS, and rail against corporations, while happily ingesting food that is up to 70% gene modified, and making Monsanto richer for it. Anyone that hates WS and corporations should view Monsanto and DuPont as tyrants and murderers.

OpEdNews - Article: Big Agra and big Pharma rule in Washington

IF breathing air makes me pro-oxygen, and wanting healthy food makes me anti-GMO, then sobeit. If that is Biased, then HELL YES I'M BIASED!
I am listening, so thank you for posting.

To me it gets even scarier since Monsanto bought Blackwater.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,387 times
Default A CropLife employee talked to the Ag critic for the official opposition

Occupy_food_sovereignty_47 - YouTube

I went to a food soverignty forum

The croplife Lobbyist said they would sooner that the motion not even get to the floor of parliament

He never did give me the name of the CropLife rep...

Old 07-14-2013, 05:55 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,291,533 times
Quote:
In the study, researchers fed rats GMO corn or gave them water laced with Roundup at levels allowed in the United States. Compared to the control group, exposed rats developed significantly more mammary tumors and suffered organ damage, and 20% of the males and 50% of females died early. Previous studies linked GMOs—which have been infiltrating the US food system since the 1990s—to allergies and digestive disease.
I'm not a GMO supporter by any means, but the study you cited was proved to be incredibly flawed.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:03 PM

A recent French study that purports to show a link between the consumption of genetically modified corn and a variety of ailments, including cancer, was just the tasty morsel that critics of genetically modified foods (GMOs) hungered for. For many scientists, however, the study proved to be a source of indigestion. To be sure, GMOs are a hot button issue, especially with the looming prospect of California’s Proposition 37 that would require labeling of foods
Chemically Speaking
Don't get me wrong...I'm not advocating for GMO. However, I see people citing this particular study much like they cited the flawed vaccine-autism study. Everyone jumps on the same bandwagon. I just wanted to point that out.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:06 PM

Next up.
Farmers killing themselves in India because of Monsanto!!

If you do just a bit of research, you'll note that farmers started killing themselves in India en masse years beore Monsanto came along.

Just putting things in perspective.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:45 PM

Keith Kloor, author of the Collide-a-Scape blog at Discover magazine, notes that of all the myths surrounding genetically modified food, this is the one "that exploits human tragedy and for that reason, I found it so offensive." It was put forward by Prince Charles in 2008 and blown up in the UK by the Daily Mail, Kloor writes, and has "since become part of the GMO discourse, largely unchallenged in the media." And Vandana Shiva, he says, "repeats it every chance she gets."
Kloor points to a story in Canada's National Post that dismantles the Monsanto-killer myth in just a few words:
The issue of farmer suicides first gained media attention in 1995 as the southern state of Maharashtra began reporting a significant rise in farmers killing themselves.
Other states across the country began noticing an increase in farmer suicides as well. But it wasn’t until seven years later — in 2002 — that the U.S.-based agribusiness Monsanto began selling genetically modified cotton seeds, known as Bt cotton, to Indian farmers.
That's tough to argue with.
Demolishing the myth that Monsanto's engineered crops drove 270,000 Indian farmers to suicide. | Knight Science Journalism Program at MIT

Do I like the idea of genetically modified food? No, I do not.
Do I want GMO foods to labelled? Yes, I do.
However, what I like even less are scare tactics based on nothing more than myth or misinformation.
That is all.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:29 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,495,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

I was 13 years old when DDT was banned, after nearly 80 years of them saying it was safe, but they lied.

GMO, Trans-Genetics, and Round-Up ready crops are the DDT mistake being repeated on a scale that can never be cleaned up.
I disagree regarding DDT - because MILLIONS of people have DIED since the BAN of using DDT to battle malaria. And that is senseless and SAD.

Other hand - basically, GMO = pesticide activity, before and AFTER consumption. No thanks!!

IMO, we should at least have "freedom of choice" (not to mention freedom of information) about that!!!

Old 07-14-2013, 10:55 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,147,906 times
If they are so proud of their products, why are they fighting tooth & nail to not have to label them? The majority in this country just don't care. Take a look at this forum, they are all distracted by the latest drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.