Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 02:14 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think if we can get the capitalists out of the system, especially in healthcare and energy Democracy has a much better change of surviving.
Must be opposite day in your neck of the woods.
Replace the word capatalist with government for the correct version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 02:19 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLW1938 View Post
I have lived through 12 presidencies & have always been interested in history & politics. I do not know if things are really worse than they were 200 years ago or if it is the instant communications & constant news updates that make it seem worse.
The answer to that question might become more apparent if you ask yourself a more obvious question. Would the founding fathers find it acceptable for some authoritarian goon to reach down into their trousers and squeeze their testicles under the pretext of mandatory safety screening in order to be "allowed" the right of travel ... or would they have more likely shot the bastards with their pistols?

Yes, things have gotten much much worse ... so bad in fact, that a significant number of Americans have become so hopelessly lost and confused, that they not only stand silent in the face of tyranny, but now, actually demand it. It doesn't get much worse than when you see Americans demanding that their rights be taken away .. such as the anti 2nd Amendment nitwits are currently doing ....or demanding higher taxes. This is not just a sign of impending loss of liberty, but a total loss of sanity.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:25 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
John Adams: "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that didn't commit suicide".

IMO, we've never had true democracy in this country, it's been counterfeit all along.

But just the same, what do you think? The democracy we do have in this country, how much longer is it going to last? What will bring about its last act of suicide?
To quote Benjamin Franklin ... "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what is for supper".

The United States of America was NEVER a democracy ... ever ... that is until the last few decades of deliberate dumbing down of the people who have been convinced ... through shear repetition of this false notion ... that it is, and always was.

The truth is, the founding fathers abhorred Democracy, and if there was such a thing as legitimate education in this country, that common knowledge would be commonly understood without confusion.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:34 PM

800 posts, read 508,726 times
This country for a while now has been an oligarchy in the truest sense all the way. A power structure that effectively rests with just a small number of elite well connected people. Its like a club, and you and I ain't in it.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:01 PM

7,503 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLW1938 View Post
I have lived through 12 presidencies & have always been interested in history & politics. I do not know if things are really worse than they were 200 years ago or if it is the instant communications & constant news updates that make it seem worse.

My main concern is the majority of people seem to have the attitude "I am right & everyone that disagrees with me is wrong".

I just do not remember the past as having all this ranting & raving we hear now.
I enjoy talking politics even with people I disagree with if they are civil & just talk about the disagreements.
I agree and I am one of those who have dug in their heels. Unfortunately, these extreme positions have been fostered by the very man that is supposed to unite Americans on common ground.
Anyone ego denies that is lying to themselves.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
John Adams: "Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that didn't commit suicide".

IMO, we've never had true democracy in this country, it's been counterfeit all along.

But just the same, what do you think? The democracy we do have in this country, how much longer is it going to last? What will bring about its last act of suicide?
I think we're headed to a democracy like Cuba or Mexico have.

That is, one all-powerful political party that selects a candidate and the people go out and vote for that candidate. The liberals are definitely pushing this kind of one-party democracy. They may just get it done.

Already they have bypassed the pretense of primaries and elections and are insisting that Hillary is the next president. Why bother with costly elections?

Old 07-13-2013, 03:06 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think if we can get the capitalists out of the system, especially in healthcare and energy Democracy has a much better change of surviving.
Agreed. We currently live under a plutocracy where corporations and governments rule hand-in-hand, and we can no longer trust 90+% of politicians to implement laws which will force the feds to clean up their act.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:56 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
This country for a while now has been an oligarchy in the truest sense all the way. A power structure that effectively rests with just a small number of elite well connected people. Its like a club, and you and I ain't in it.
It's always amusing to see another country point a finger at another country. How many times have we pointed a finger at oligarchic Mexico and its corruption!! And we all know: You point a finger at someone, you have 4 fingers pointed at yourself!

I live in oligarchic Nevada and oligarchic Las Vegas, which makes it an exercise in futility to vote here!

At least in the Philippines, they do it unashamedly, they pass out the money to voters to vote for them. At least the voters got something out of it, some money to buy some food or a new cellphone!
And since it's become arbitrary who you vote for anymore in this country, give me some money and I'll vote for you!

Old 07-13-2013, 07:10 PM

151 posts, read 404,947 times
"Future Americans, you will never know how much it took to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make a good use of it. If you do not...We shall repent in heaven that we ever took half the pains..to preserve it."

John Adams

Old 07-13-2013, 07:29 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
America was built on a foundation of slavery, so was America truly a democratic nation to begin with?

The Tories used to marvel at the hypocrisy of how Americans were fighting for "freedom and liberty" while shackling millions of blacks.
Their fellow AFRICANS were more than happy to help the slave traders chain them ...Muslims do the same today plus piracy on the high seas for ransom.Get over it ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies