Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 02:38 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,878,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This is determined at the state, not federal level.

Fast Food Chains Getting Into the Food Stamp Act - ABC News
Again, in California (which was on that ABC list) only people who are homeless or certified as being physically unable to prepare food for themselves are able to do this. 99%+ of the people on food stamps cannot use them to buy hot or prepared food.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,878,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
The can also buy monster energy drinks.
What's the difference between that or soda?

There is no meaningful difference so why are you whining about it?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:47 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,860,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
TANF is also on these EBT cards and everyone now accepts the cash portion of the EBT card, even gas stations.
And stores too. I share this story often but last Christmas I was in line at Kmart and this woman was trying to buy electronics with her Link Card (Illinois' welfare card). When it was rejected she pulled out a stack of money. Meanwhile I had just lost my job and had to be wise with Christmas presents (none of my people got electronics).

Old 07-15-2013, 02:52 PM

11,410 posts, read 7,732,549 times
Here's what confuses me. There was a recent thread on C-D about the lack of good nutrition in school lunches. Posters were all over that one supporting school systems in their right to determine the food they serve and in removing vending machines. Most argued that allowing junk food from vending machines and serving high calorie, low nutrition foods in the cafeterias was adding to obesity in our youth. Some even argued that parents shouldn't be allowed to pack whatever they wanted in their kids lunches brought from home, but should be held to a certain nutritional standard. So, why are some people OK with legislating school lunches and not what can be purchased for dinner? If if pizza and greasy hamburgers are bad for kids at lunch, they're also bad for them at dinner.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:55 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,606,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I suppose the rules may have changed, but I was always under the impression that only unprepared food was eligible for food stamps. In fact I have a sneaking suspicion that these fast food restuarnats taking EBT are only accepting the TANF portion.

Yep, looks that way. Fast food isn't eligible for food stamp usage.
Eligible Food Items
Exactly! Only those that are "homeless" and have no way to prepare food, are allowed to use then at certain locations considered "fast food".

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Speak for yourself... I don't often watch what people are buying or how they're paying, and certainly don't get "mad" if they are buying foods I've deemed junk. As I said above, we have some awfully nosy people in here!

So I think some folks just hate the program altogether, and will whine no matter how they choose to spend the money.
THIS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
It's not healthy food. They shouldn't be buying that food with food stamps instead of things like cereal, bread, milk etc.
Oh yes, 'cause sugary overprocessed cereal is "good" for you, not to mention chemical enhanced milk, and chemical laden bread are just prefect food choices.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Had I known that they were making all of these goodies I would have gotten pregnant and went on welfare. Second thought, no I preferred to WORK for a living. People who freeload off the system need to be cut off and if someone is too stupid to grow a garden how is it my fault?
DO you have ANY idea how much room it takes to grow a garden big enough to feed (and can) for an average family of four?! I don't have enough room in my 12x30 garden that's for sure!!!!! And most people I know on state/federal aid, have less room than I do.

And FYI, it's none of my business what people eat, no more than it is anyone else's but their own business.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:01 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,860,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Oh yes, 'cause sugary overprocessed cereal is "good" for you, not to mention chemical enhanced milk, and chemical laden bread are just prefect food choices.....
I said cereal, not sugary ones. There is healthy cereal. I eat whole wheat bread not white.

Quote:
DO you have ANY idea how much room it takes to grow a garden big enough to feed (and can) for an average family of four?! I don't have enough room in my 12x30 garden that's for sure!!!!! And most people I know on state/federal aid, have less room than I do.
There are farmers markets and many take food stamps. Even a small apartment can grow a small garden and there are situations where an apartment building will allow tenants to grow a garden I have seen this. However, no people would rather complain about eating poorly so they can eat fast food instead of eating healthy. Fast food is not good to eat on s regular basis and yes causes obesity. No I don't want to pay for a fat welfare recipient's gastric bypass.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:15 PM

465 posts, read 505,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We have 83 means tested welfare programs..83 "free" programs for the poor.
most of those programs you have to work to get including food stamps 80 hours a month, housing 35 hours a week, it's not perfect but it's a start only exception is disability as far as i know you can still get food stamps for the people working and the kids but none for yourself like i said it's not perfect

Old 07-15-2013, 04:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,460,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Mostly because your average right wing nutjob is both a pathological liar and incredibly stupid. They like "truthiness", things which kind of sound like they might be true, rather than things which are actually true and which do not fit their political ideology. Intelligent people look at the facts and then make policies based upon those facts while the RWNJ has policies he's told to support by the right wing media and then he desperately fishes around for something, anything, to support that ideology deliberately ignoring every fact which does not support their chosen world view.

Here's the hard facts: ~50% of people on food stamps work or are children to young to legally work. ~25% are elderly receiving social security leaving just 25% who do not have a job.

Policy Basics: Introduction to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
Then how come I know 17 year olds who work minimum wage and aren't getting food stamps?

It seems you have choose to have kids before you can afford them before you wil be rewarded all these handouts.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:28 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,460,589 times
Quote:

And FYI, it's none of my business what people eat, no more than it is anyone else's but their own business.
Maybe not your business but we who have to pay for the freeloaders restaurant meals do have the right to question how much of our money goes to make the welfare life too enjoyable that it provides a incentive to get on and stay on it. No wonder more and more people are choosing a life of food stamps and other handouts.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:34 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,567,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You make an excellent point. I'll add another. The majority of Section 8 recipients are Seniors. Many alsoo rely on SNAP. 10,000 people a day began to turn 65 in 2010 and this trend will continue for the next 20 years.
So you're saying they should have planned better for their retirement?

I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.