Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 10:33 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I love how "Over weight" Conservatives are are worried about the "Health" and 'Diet" of of people who are on EBT cards who can barely afford food!

Do you mean that they can;t afford food without the EBT card or with the EBT card?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:52 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Obscene. If I actually went to these places I would sneer at anyone standing in line in front of me. So my suggestion is for them to be shunned and humiliated.
That's nice.

And, pray tell, what is wrong with Subway (among a few others on that list)? You can get a 6-inch turkey sub with a side & drink for $5, and it's much healthier than half the stuff you can buy at a grocery store. I try to eat healthy myself, and Subway is usually my go-to when I don't bring lunch to work. And do you generally go around shaming and sneering at anyone who makes different choices than you? What a nice and tolerant person you must be, lol.

Also, please explain how it affects you directly if an EBT user spends their $10 at Burger King or FoodsCo... do they get extra money if they don't spend it wisely, or do we get charged extra taxes based on their caloric intake? And don't give me the "we'll pay for their healthcare" excuse, because I've never seen proof that an occasional fast food meal leads to higher medical costs. Not everyone you see there is a regular customer, nor does everyone who eats junk end up with major health problems. I don't eat the crap myself, but every so often it's my only choice (like when I was on a road trip recently). Would you shun me for getting a snack wrap and diet coke, without even knowing how often I go there?

Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDaleHerring View Post
Interesting how many people support this...
Interesting to see how few realize this is simply Welfare for the restaurants taking it They want a bigger possible market using taxpayer money. Analigious to farmers who see their income rise because food stamps raises the supply/demand price point.

While I am staunchly pro business, I am staunchly for their price points rising or falling on their own merits.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:01 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Not always.

People earning under $25k pay about zip in taxes too.
Lies. Everyone with half a brain knows the income tax is not the only tax. In fact, income taxes make up less than half of all the taxes paid to the Federal government.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDaleHerring View Post
Interesting how many people support this...
Well -- one out of seven people now are on food stamps -- you can bet at least many people posting on these forums are on food stamps themselves.

People today really do believe they are entitled to the earnings of others.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:11 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I've seen these places advertising that they accept EBT for a long time ..years .

So not sure why it is news .

Definitely good for the fast food businesses.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:15 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- one out of seven people now are on food stamps -- you can bet at least many people posting on these forums are on food stamps themselves.

People today really do believe they are entitled to the earnings of others.
Probably the same people saying this is a good thing.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:30 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post

Oh, look, there it is again. After being unable to actually debate the facts the wing nuts are once again claiming that anyone who disagrees with them must be on food stamps. Heaven forbid you actually respond to any of the points people have raised showing you're full of it.

Maybe you could begin by admitting this is only allowed in a handful of states and most of them have severe restrictions in place like California does where only the homeless (who do not have facilities to cook with) or people who are so disabled they cannot physically cook are allowed while 99%+ of the people on food stamps are not allowed to do this. That would require some sort of intellectual honesty and some sort of substantive response based upon facts and reality so I guess that's out of the question, eh?

Old 07-16-2013, 12:54 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Lies. Everyone with half a brain knows the income tax is not the only tax. In fact, income taxes make up less than half of all the taxes paid to the Federal government.

No. It's not the only tax.
Federal income tax is what goes to Benefits like Food Stamps though. Federal income tax is collected through employment, cigarettes, alcohol and fuel. The last three often bought WITH cash assistance.

State income tax and sales tax does not apply to benefits.

Many people, especially single parents, get back MORE than they paid in if they earned $25k or less on their tax returns. Most only pay around a $1000 a year max.
If average Food Stamp payout is $130/m, that means they collected $1560 for the year. That is MORE than they paid in with employment. It may even out with fuel, cigs or Alcohol taxes(Often bought with assistance). But then factor in those that get Cash Assistance, WIC and Section 8.
Pretty easy to figure out the system is completely unsustainable from those earning $25k or less. Then you have the other welfare programs SS and MC....
No they are not or were meant to be welfare. But that is what it has become.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
No, probably not... I've never accepted welfare or food stamps in my life, and don't care if fast food restaurants accept them. Got any other conclusions?

For the record, not many of us are saying it's a GOOD thing - we're just saying it's not something worth whining about. Would I rather they spend those benefits at Trader Joe's? Sure. But do I care if they sometimes go to McDonald's instead? Nope, not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies