Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 06:27 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Why do people think because someone gets a government check they have to eat 'healthy".

I thought we were free in this Amerika?????
I know, right? Yet the people who complain about this crap are usually the same ones who claim to want "small government," freedom to eat whatever you want, etc - the same people who also whined and complained about restrictions on sugared drinks & trans fat (which I happen to agree are ridiculous laws).

And don't give me the old "we're paying for them to eat," because just about everyone benefits from some government programs at some time in their lives... not to mention, you can qualify for FS & WIC if you're working, and thus paying into these programs yourselves. Personally I don't care if they spend these benefits on McDonalds or a salad from Trader Joe's, as once the money is distributed they should have the freedom to choose how to spend it. It's not like they get MORE if they waste it too quickly, so I assume the cost eventually shows them how to best use the funds. Why are conservatives so darned nosy?

P.S. They actually do have some healthier options in restaurants (even fast food) these days, often for a lower cost than you'll spend in a grocery store. I try to avoid fast food myself, but in desperate situations I'll get a $4-6 salad and diet coke. How much would those same ingredients cost me at TJs?

Old 07-13-2013, 06:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I suppose the rules may have changed, but I was always under the impression that only unprepared food was eligible for food stamps. In fact I have a sneaking suspicion that these fast food restuarnats taking EBT are only accepting the TANF portion.

Yep, looks that way. Fast food isn't eligible for food stamp usage.
Eligible Food Items
4 states do allow food stamps to be used at FF places: Florida, Michigan, Arizona and California.
That includes McDonalds, PizzaHut and Taco Bell. They made a deal with Yum Foods.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So you like overweight women?
So what if he does?

I didn't get that comment anyway, since I'm not sure how more overweight people = more women for him. Is he assuming everyone shares his dislike of overweight people, and will thus reject any fat men for him? Hate to burst your bubble, but even some of us non-fat ladies prefer a larger man... and if the thinner man has a lousy personality, I'd absolutely pick the bigger one. We're not all as shallow as some people on this thread, and again, some of us do PREFER a big man. The guy I've been seeing for a while is 6'5" & about 300lbs (former NFL lineman), and I am 100% okay with that!

Not to mention, if there are more overweight people in general, one would assume that applies equally to men and women... so again, I fail to see the logic in that stupid comment.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:35 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I wonder why "only" certain restaurants/fast food joints... it seems unlawful to be just a select few... but then what about it being used at a strip joint that serves food or Hooters... Food stamps used to be a good program, now its been turned into something else...

Old 07-13-2013, 06:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
The "S" in SNAP stands for Supplemental which is in addition to their own money.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:43 PM

151 posts, read 404,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So what if he does?

I didn't get that comment anyway, since I'm not sure how more overweight people = more women for him. Is he assuming everyone shares his dislike of overweight people, and will thus reject any fat men for him? Hate to burst your bubble, but even some of us non-fat ladies prefer a larger man... and if the thinner man has a lousy personality, I'd absolutely pick the bigger one. We're not all as shallow as some people on this thread, and again, some of us do PREFER a big man. The guy I've been seeing for a while is 6'5" & about 300lbs (former NFL lineman), and I am 100% okay with that!

Not to mention, if there are more overweight people in general, one would assume that applies equally to men and women... so again, I fail to see the logic in that stupid comment.

You're totally overthinking it. It was in jest. Sheesh people!

Old 07-13-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I'm sure many of us have been in line when someone was using EBT (we call it a Link Card here)to buy things like soda, chips, cake etc and we get angry. The reason is because these are LUXURY foods that not everyone can afford yet those on assistance can. I remember many times being at the store when I was struggling and had to buy cheap items because I couldn't afford more, only to see someone on welfare eating better than me and I wondered why I was even working. These times I could not afford soda or chips or cake or candy on my budget so seeing people on assistance doing so infuriated me. Same thing with fast food, it is a luxury that not everyone can afford.

Let's not forget the reality these foods make people fat in over abundance and since we are paying for their medical too many will need obesity programs. Until recently Illinois paid for gastric bypass for those on welfare (because many of our people on assistance are fat).

Not one person I know who is opposed to welfare has a problem with helping those who are truly needy to buy food. What people get angry about is when they buy luxury items that aren't essential while many working people can't. I don't get mad when I see someone buying milk, bread, etc but definitely do when I see items like junk food and especially mad when this is all I see in their cart (and this has happened many times).
Speak for yourself... I don't often watch what people are buying or how they're paying, and certainly don't get "mad" if they are buying foods I've deemed junk. As I said above, we have some awfully nosy people in here!

And sadly, the "junk foods" tend to be cheaper than healthier options in this country - just compare the costs at Whole Foods or Sprouts vs Walmart, if you don't believe me. Why do you think we're one of the few countries where our poor tend to be fatter than our wealthy people? So I wouldn't refer to that stuff as luxury items, so much as I'd call them empty calorie or unhealthy items. And since I don't spend my time worrying about the health of strangers, I'm not concerned with their caloric intake. I mean, for all you know, they only allow themselves these items once a month, and buy healthier stuff the rest of the month.

Funny thing is, I've also heard people complain about places like Trader Joe's and farmer's markets accepting food stamps - and some will even complain if they're buying whole chicken breasts or beef, as opposed to some high-fat or frozen alternatives. So I think some folks just hate the program altogether, and will whine no matter how they choose to spend the money.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:47 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
An admission that many poor neighborhoods have no grocery stores. Where else you gonna go?

Old 07-13-2013, 06:49 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,149 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH78o8-ptkI

Old 07-13-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
This is citu data, 80% of comments here are dumb
Touché...

Sorry, I'm just wasting time until I can leave work - so yes, I did over-think and over-explain that one a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies