Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:26 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times

Advertisements

They come here illegally, fatten up on food stamps and go home for the weigh in

Old 07-13-2013, 10:28 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
For once in my life, I have to agree with Don Draper -- burritos aren't real Mexican food. At one time if you would have been in Guadalajara and asked for a burrito, they would have looked at you like you were weird.

Wheat flour was almost unheard of in Mexico, tortillas de harina were rarely seen. They came from the SW USA. We'd have flour tortillas without Mexico -- the Indians of the SW were making those a long time ago.

Fajitas came from the tex-mex style of cooking -- except that Mexicans always ate that kind of food without calling it that. Tortillas were used to scoop up strips of meat and/or beans always.
Burrito History
Quote:
the first documented burrito was made in 1922. Burritos might date from slightly earlier, but it’s hard to tell, since the little cafes in the dusty desert towns of the Mexican state of Chihuahua
My father speaks of his grandmother making burritos. Burritos back in the day were not those grossly over-stuffed gut bombs of today.

Have you ever had scrapple? ask for scrapple in a diner in California...what do you think the response would be?

Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 AM

20,722 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
For once in my life, I have to agree with Don Draper -- burritos aren't real Mexican food. At one time if you would have been in Guadalajara and asked for a burrito, they would have looked at you like you were weird.

Wheat flour was almost unheard of in Mexico, tortillas de harina were rarely seen. They came from the SW USA. We'd have flour tortillas without Mexico -- the Indians of the SW were making those a long time ago.

Fajitas came from the tex-mex style of cooking -- except that Mexicans always ate that kind of food without calling it that. Tortillas were used to scoop up strips of meat and/or beans always.
Not traditional Mexican. . But yes a key point on how this cuisine evolved was that corn and amaranth were the grains used before European influences. Hard to make those big ass tortilla with flour from those grains.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Burrito History

My father speaks of his grandmother making burritos. Burritos back in the day were not those grossly over-stuffed gut bombs of today.

Have you ever had scrapple? ask for scrapple in a diner in California...what do you think the response would be?
from your own link

"The invention might even have come about on our side of that border – the first certain reference to a burrito is from a roadhouse café near Tucson,"

Been to many towns in Jalisco, Guanajuato, Yucatan, Michoacan, only place I've seen Burritos was in Cancun and Puerto Vallarta, Senor Frogs.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Burrito History

Exactly. Regional cuisine.

To talk about Guadalajara in the context of a food that evolved from Juárez is like saying shave ice is American.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
from your own link

"The invention might even have come about on our side of that border – the first certain reference to a burrito is from a roadhouse café near Tucson,"

Been to many towns in Jalisco, Guanajuato, Yucatan, Michoacan, only place I've seen Burritos was in Cancun and Puerto Vallarta, Senor Frogs.

Im pertty sure my great grand mother wasn't hanging in Tuscon diners. She moved the family to land they owned in Bandera Tx in 1910...

She could have traveled to New Mexico for a burrito vacation.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Mexico beats US to be world's fattest country - but we're still a close second - NYPOST.com

The United States no longer holds the title of the world’s most populous, obese nation; that designation has been passed on to Mexico.

According to a new report from the United Nations, nearly 70 percent of Mexican adults are overweight, and childhood obesity in the country has tripled within the past decade, Medical Daily reported. One-third of Mexican teenagers are also obese, and experts believe that four out of every five obese children will remain overweight for the rest of their lives.
I believe there have been a couple of threads on this already. The study results were published about a week ago I think. Regardless, we are a country of over weight people, but we are also a country where physical exercise isn't a routine activity for many. We have more cars than most countries, so have become car friendly rather than walk or bike friendly. We do not have good massive transit in many of our major cities and we are very urban, versus rural. All these things contribute to the weight issues, it isn't just eating habits.

I will add, I don't really care what or pay much attention to anything the United Nations has to say.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
from your own link

I assume you are not intrested in going to visit Ciudad Juarez.

Those are all southern Mexican states. Why do you suppose one cannot find black mole from Oaxaca in Cabo? Now I can understand not wanting to go to Mexican border states . However this is part of the problem in the US. We actually think other countries all ate the same food in different regions like McDonalds and Wonder Bread. Most recipes for Mole Negro Oaxaqueno contains garlic. That mean its Afro-Eurasian?

Old 07-13-2013, 10:54 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I assume you are not intrested in going to visit Ciudad Juarez.

Those are all southern Mexican states. Why do you suppose one cannot find black mole from Oaxaca in Cabo? Now I can understand not wanting to go to Mexican border states . However this is part of the problem in the US. We actually think other countries all ate the same food in different regions like McDonalds and Wonder Bread. Most recipes for Mole Negro Oaxaqueno contains garlic. That mean its Afro-Eurasian?
No, I'm not, not without a fully automatic weapon, and Guanajuato and Jalisco are not southern mexican states.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Not traditional Mexican. . But yes a key point on how this cuisine evolved was that corn and amaranth were the grains used before European influences. Hard to make those big ass tortilla with flour from those grains.

Tortillas Sobaqueras y Burros Sonorenses - YouTube

burros are big...burritos are smaller version.

Fsat forward to 2:30
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies