Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:42 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
The same people that will tell Gen X and Y to "be responsible for your actions" are the same ones that basically through the younger generations under the bus and now we have to suffer with this sorry excuse of a society pandering to those that want "reparations" from something that no one on this planet at the current time had anything to do with? Are Boomers the biggest hypocrites in the history of the 20th century? I say yes.
What "white guilt?"

I've been around for four and a half decades, and i've yet to see an example of this so called guilt about any thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 02:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
The same people that will tell Gen X and Y to "be responsible for your actions" are the same ones that basically through the younger generations under the bus and now we have to suffer with this sorry excuse of a society pandering to those that want "reparations" from something that no one on this planet at the current time had anything to do with? Are Boomers the biggest hypocrites in the history of the 20th century? I say yes.
What is this blame crap?
Move on with your life.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:57 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What kind of crap is this blame crap?
Move on with your life.
If we ever meet, and if we ever go to a restaurant together, better keep an eye on your plate, because I'll steal a bite of your food, and then just sit there with a guilty smirk.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:59 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
If we ever meet, and if we ever go to a restaurant together, better keep an eye on your plate, because I'll steal a bite of your food, and then just sit there with a guilty smirk.
Oh, I think we'll meet.
And I might steal a bite from your plate as well.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:02 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oh, I think we'll meet.
And I might steal a bite from your plate as well.
But, will you be smirking or will you be straight faced? Will you feel, guilty?

Old 07-14-2013, 07:22 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Do you think all boomers are liberals?

Old 07-14-2013, 08:03 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you think all boomers are liberals?
I'd say no......still doesn't change the facts that some white people carry guilt. I watched the movie "The Help" I found the movie funny and entertaining, some white women expressed how horrible the movie was that blacks were treated that way......I had one lady crying as she was giving me her review and that was before I saw it.
http://www.uua.org/documents/gardine...hite_guilt.pdf

For me there is healthy white guilt and unhealthy white guilt. Healthy white guilt leads to change,
transformation, and new life. Unhealthy white guilt leads to paralysis and inaction.

Looks like the OP had no intentions of answering any questions......

Old 07-14-2013, 10:21 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,561 times
People clearly fail to understand that we are still very much dealing with the aftermath of slavery. Some (many white) are benefiting from it while some (many black) are suffering from it. The numbers don't lie. Poverty and the social problems that come from it is rampant in the black community, at a far greater extent than any other ethnic group. Why do you think that is? Because black people are just genetically hard wired to be poor? Or could it be because the black community basically had to start out from scratch with no assets or knowledge just a little over 100 years ago? White people, on the other hand, have many generations before them who have been able to climb the latter of success. We all benefit from the progress made by our forefathers, weather it's from their money or skills. Socioeconomic class is usually past on from generation to generation and in the case of the poor blacks today poverty and despair has usually been passed on to them by their great-great grandparents who were released from slavery with only the clothes on their backs. In the scheme of things 100-150 years is a very short time and definitely not long enough for the consequences and benefits of slavery to go away.
Free labor played a large role in the economic success of the United States. Don't you think we are benefiting from that today? Many of the upper class families owe their wealth to the success of their forefathers during slavery days. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to recognize these facts and level the playing field a bit. If you want to call that "white guilt", fine. I just think it's being realistic and unselfish.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:32 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
People clearly fail to understand that we are still very much dealing with the aftermath of slavery. Some (many white) are benefiting from it while some (many black) are suffering from it. The numbers don't lie. Poverty and the social problems that come from it is rampant in the black community, at a far greater extent than any other ethnic group. Why do you think that is? Because black people are just genetically hard wired to be poor? Or could it be because the black community basically had to start out from scratch with no assets or knowledge just a little over 100 years ago? White people, on the other hand, have many generations before them who have been able to climb the latter of success. We all benefit from the progress made by our forefathers, weather it's from their money or skills. Socioeconomic class is usually past on from generation to generation and in the case of the poor blacks today poverty and despair has usually been passed on to them by their great-great grandparents who were released from slavery with only the clothes on their backs. In the scheme of things 100-150 years is a very short time and definitely not long enough for the consequences and benefits of slavery to go away.
Free labor played a large role in the economic success of the United States. Don't you think we are benefiting from that today? Many of the upper class families owe their wealth to the success of their forefathers during slavery days. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to recognize these facts and level the playing field a bit. If you want to call that "white guilt", fine. I just think it's being realistic and unselfish.
Coming from a family that was dirt poor (on both sides) up until the 60's when hard work and education made us middle class, and coming from a family that had a farm that was a stop on the underground railroad and actively aided the escape of untold numbers of slaves, and coming from a family that has a record of fighting for civil rights and racial integration since the 20's.... I've got no white guilt.

To the OP: It's just plain dumb to blame the Boomers for it. Nor surprising considering some people would blame the Boomers if the sun failed to come up in the east, but dumb. What I do feel some guilt for is the lack of education I see demonstrated. Understanding concepts. Knowing history. Proper use of grammar. Knowledge of homophones. Obviously the schools failed. Or ya'll weren't paying attention. Could be that.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-14-2013 at 11:00 AM..

Old 07-14-2013, 11:16 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
Yet people rarely put Native Americans on this same level.......if anyone should be filled with hate you'd think we'd see more of this hatred coming from the NA.....yet we don't. Look up the Coeur d' alene tribe in Idaho and see what they've accomplished with what they've been given. Most have moved off the reservation, have provided for their selves and families very well. The NA have also supported and raised money for education in Idaho.

I'd really like to know just how many blacks actually have slaves in their family tree, as we know so many people claim Native American and have none in them. Emotional rants don't count!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies