Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which tax would you eliminate if you could?
Income tax 42 48.28%
Property tax 22 25.29%
Sales tax 12 13.79%
Other 9 10.34%
None 2 2.30%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 05:36 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,102,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would remove ALL taxes, including state, county and local, and replace them with an Income Tax based on all income from all sources with a 90th percentile deduction. the tax would be collected on a Federal level and half would be redistributed to the states on a per capita basis. The states could then redistribute then as they saw fit.

Not only would this place the burden of operating the country on the people that own and control it the insane redistribution of Federal money from the Blue States to the Red states would cease.

What about the Blue counties in Red states?

The poorest county in the US is Buffalo County in South Dakota....voted Democrat
The 2nd poorest county in the US is Shannon County in South Dakota.......voted Democrat
The 3rd poorest county in the US is Starr County in Texas..........voted Democrat
The 4th poorest county in the US is Zeibach County in South Dakota.......voted Democrat
The 5th poorest county in the US is Todd County in South Dakota.........voted Democrat
The 6th poorest county in the US is Sioux County in North Dakota.........voted Democrat
The 7th poorest county in the US is Corson County in South Dakota.......voted Democrat
The 9th poorest county in the US is Maverick County in Texas..........voted Democrat
The 10th poorest county in the US is Apache County in Arizona........voted Democrat

Well, let's go to some counties in the Southeast, shall we? After all, our friends in the Northeast love to rag on the southerners, right? (FYI; I was born and raised in New Jersey)

The 15th poorest county in the US is East Carroll Parish in Louisiana (its poorest)........voted Democrat
The 17th poorest county in the US is Jefferson County in Mississippi (its poorest)........voted Democrat

Let's look at that crazy Right-wing state of Texas.

The 12 poorest county in the US is Willacy County....voted Democrat
The 13th poorest county in the US is Hudspeth County......voted REPUBLICAN (by 90 votes)
The 14th poorest county in the US is Presidio County........voted Democrat
The 16th poorest county in the US is LaSalle County........voted Democrat

The 4th richest county in the US is Hunterdon County in New Jersey...voted Republican
The 8th richest county in the US is Fauquier County in Virginia..........voted Republican
The 14th richest county in the US is Morris County in New Jersey.....voted Republican
The 16th richest county in the US is Calvert County in Maryland.......voted Republican
The 21st richest county in the US is Anne Arundel County in Maryland...voted Republican
The 22nd richest county in the US is Carroll County in Maryland.....voted Republican
The 24th richest county in the US is Sussex County in New Jersey.....voted Republican

The top and 3rd richest county in New York voted Democrat. By a very slim margin.

Anyway, so when a Red State gets aid, it will more than likely go to a blue county since as shown above, the poorest county's are blue. Plus, a lot of the aid taken from Blue states, comes from Red counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:07 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,170,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'd love to go to school and learn a skill but can't afford it.
You can't afford to spend a few hours/day in a free public library? Also, how many hours/week do you spend looking for a better paying job?

Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,344,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You can't afford to spend a few hours/day in a free public library? Also, how many hours/week do you spend looking for a better paying job?

Not all skills make a person employable in the absence of an official credential.

I think I'd make a great accountant but employers insist on the right degree.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:45 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,699,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Whoever earned the 1 million already paid the taxes, hope this clears things up for you
Those taxes were already paid on the one million! Its one thing to want to better your own situation but all I see is jealousy and disdain for people who happen to have more than you, its sad! Fact is your desire to punish anyone who you perceive to have more than you by making them pay more is never going to improve your situation!

And regarding a previous post of yours which states that a home owner can simply rent out their house and let a renter pay the taxes.... well I own rental property... its very hard work and takes years and some luck to get to a place where your even making a profit.. And when it comes to single family forget about it... its much harder.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:08 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,504,993 times
Quote:
What about retirees on limited income who rent? Their homes should be taxed while homeowners get a pass?
If I understand, the thrust is that eliminating property tax isn't fair because people who do not own a home still have to pay rent?

I'm having trouble with the logic. I don't see how the existence of retired renters on limited income would justify penalizing retired landowners/property owners, or landowners/property owners in general.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:07 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,170,115 times
Quote:
Not all skills make a person employable in the absence of an official credential.

I think I'd make a great accountant but employers insist on the right degree.
So how many hours/day do you spend studying accounting right now?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:37 AM

7,571 posts, read 6,037,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Sales tax, because it's a double tax.
I agree. And since people are always complaining about a stagnating economy and decreased spending, eliminate the sales tax as motivation perhaps for persons to go out and buy more. Put the money into the pockets of the merchants and the manufacturers, who will then be able to pay the employees a little better and maybe afford health insurance for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies