Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Repeal "Stand your Ground" laws?
Yes 64 32.16%
No 135 67.84%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:51 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
SYG needs some serious scrutiny. It would seem that it give a killer a free pass as long as he/she can say they were in fear for their life AND there are no witnesses.

PS: I see people replying to their own threads all the time.
If there are no witnesses there doesn't need to be SYG to find them not guilty. There will also be no evidence. See, even if you claim SYG and the evidence says otherwise, you get convicted. You kill someone and there are no witnesses and no evidence to prove you are lying, you can claim simple self defense all day long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
That's just silly. Think about the position you're expecting people yo put themselves in.
What would you do if somebody broke into your house, have your entire family including yourself roll over and play dead?
Some of you people really do need to learn to think things out a little bit.

Oh I've thought about it quite a bit - years actually. My stance remains the same. Taking another human's life should be absolutely last thing you should do.

What would I do if someone broke into my house? We have an alarm system and if that failed? Try my damn best to get out of the house with my children.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
The reason I have an issue with SYG is it doesn't take into account what led up to you feeling like your life is in danger. If I see a strange man (or woman) talking or touching my son in what I feel is inappropriate I KNOW for a fact that they should be very afraid...but what if they are so afraid they pull out a gun and shoot me?

And don't tell me that doesn't count because I remember a local case where the man who did the shooting (the person didn't die) got off because he said the other guy said "I'm gonna choke the life out of you" and was running toward him. So he felt like the guy was gonna choke him to death and shot him. I'm gonnna Google the story...it was before Zimmerman I just remember it because it was so close to where I live.
SYG doesn't make evidence just disappear. If there is evidence that says SYG doesn't apply, it doesn't apply.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh I've thought about it quite a bit - years actually. My stance remains the same. Taking another human's life should be absolutely last thing you should do.

What would I do if someone broke into my house? We have an alarm system and if that failed? Try my damn best to get out of the house with my children.
If you were getting raped and had a gun, what would you do? Remember, rape is sex, is your life in danger because of sex?

Old 07-15-2013, 11:56 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
SYG doesn't need to be repealed, it needs to be cleaned up and made so that you have to prove that your life was in jeopardy.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
SYG doesn't need to be repealed, it needs to be cleaned up and made so that you have to prove that your life was in jeopardy.
They already do that.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:01 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
If you were getting raped and had a gun, what would you do? Remember, rape is sex, is your life in danger because of sex?

Yes, you can still be killed during the commission of a rape.

Being the responsible person I am, I would have a gun locked in a safe because I have children. The gun would do me no good.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:02 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
They already do that.
Obviously not well enough: 'Not guilty' verdict for Ralph Wald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, you can still be killed during the commission of a rape.

Being the responsible person I am, I would have a gun locked in a safe because I have children. The gun would do me no good.
Sure it would if you were aware of your surroundings and heard the intruder. So, you WOULD shoot a rapist? What makes you any different than anyone else defending themselves?

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
SYG doesn't make evidence just disappear. If there is evidence that says SYG doesn't apply, it doesn't apply.
But if there's no evidence to begin with; it's just my word against theirs. I searched for that story but when you put in SYG and Orlando it only brings up Zimmerman/Martin. It was such a weird case...I wish I could remember more details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies