Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 03:29 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,385,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Actually, it is not, nor did he exactly "run and hide".

The only thing that matters concerning his being guilty or not guilty is whether he reasonably felt that his life was in danger.

The only reason that Harrier can think of for firing the weapon rather then driving away is if another weapon was displayed in conjunction with the alleged threats.

That is what the jury must decide.

If the jury does not find that he had reason to fear for his life, then they can probably find Dunn guilty of first degree murder beyond a reasonable doubt.
Or, Dunn could have THOUGHT he saw a weapon (or something he thought resembled a weapon).

While the jury may have given Dunn the benefit of the doubt on that point, I think his leaving the scene, and not mentioning seeing a weapon in the victims car till the cops caught up with him, is going to sink him with the jury. That's pretty inexplicable behavior.

We are not at the point yet in this country where just get in shoot outs on the streets, and drive off like nothing happened.

Though the "shall not be infringed" nuts are dragging us in that direction.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:30 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
If they come back with an acquittal, it will be because the prosecutors cannot prove 1st degree murder. They should have made it 2nd degree and it would be a slam dunk Please just petition to rescind Fla prosecutors (and weapon carriers of the a-hole persuasion)--not all of us.
The jury has the option of deciding on a lesser charge.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:32 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,640,874 times
Quote:

The only reason that Harrier can think of for firing the weapon rather then driving away is if another weapon was displayed in conjunction with the alleged threats.
But Harrier is not the one on trial, is he?

Old 02-13-2014, 03:34 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,947,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
That's what I think. Dunn should not have a permit. Taking a teenager life is horrible.

Even if the jury let's him go with no charges, Dunn will never have peace. Neither will his supporters.
He won't ever have peace. That's why I say he'll get what he deserves. Whether convicted or not he's a tortured soul. Personally I'd feel threatened if I ran into him, but I don't feel that that gives me the right to kill him. One of these days, this scenario is going to happen the other way around. I wonder what these people will have to say then.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:37 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,994,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Or, Dunn could have THOUGHT he saw a weapon (or something he thought resembled a weapon).

While the jury may have given Dunn the benefit of the doubt on that point, I think his leaving the scene, and not mentioning seeing a weapon in the victims car till the cops caught up with him, is going to sink him with the jury. That's pretty inexplicable behavior.

We are not at the point yet in this country where just get in shoot outs on the streets, and drive off like nothing happened.

Though the "shall not be infringed" nuts are dragging us in that direction.
A poster above mentioned that the prosecution may not be able to prove first degree murder.

That is something will be lost among the hyperbole if he is found not guilty.

First degree murder requires an element of malice.

Such a thing will be difficult to prove, and even if there is no evidence of true self defense, the defense has no choice but to use that as their defense given that the jury went for all the marbles.

Harrier can see it going either way, but if Dunn is acquitted, those who are angry should direct their ire at the prosecutor not filing a less serious and easier to prove charge, like 2nd degree murder, or voluntary manslaughter.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
A poster above mentioned that the prosecution may not be able to prove first degree murder.

That is something will be lost among the hyperbole if he is found not guilty.

First degree murder requires an element of malice.

Such a thing will be difficult to prove, and even if there is no evidence of true self defense, the defense has no choice but to use that as their defense given that the jury went for all the marbles.

Harrier can see it going either way, but if Dunn is acquitted, those who are angry should direct their ire at the prosecutor not filing a less serious and easier to prove charge, like 2nd degree murder, or voluntary manslaughter.
The jury has the option of applying a lesser charge.

Quote:
Besides first-degree murder, jurors could also consider the lesser crimes of second-degree murder or manslaughter, according to the jury instructions. Dunn also is charged with attempted murder for shots fired at Davis' three friends.
Jury deliberating in Michael Dunn loud music shooting trial

Old 02-13-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
But Harrier is not the one on trial, is he?
No, but Harrier can say that the smart thing to do if people are shouting obscenities and issuing threats in the absence of a clear danger to one's life is to drive away.

Dunn didn't, which means that (a) something occurred that made him feel that his life was in danger (i.e. he saw a weapon being pointed at him), or (b) he is an idiot.

That is what the jury must decide.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:42 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,640,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
If they come back with an acquittal, it will be because the prosecutors cannot prove 1st degree murder. They should have made it 2nd degree and it would be a slam dunk Please just petition to rescind Fla prosecutors (and weapon carriers of the a-hole persuasion)--not all of us.
Sorry!

After the Zimmerman case AND especially the Casey Anthony trial, people get to wondering...

Old 02-13-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The jury has the option of applying a lesser charge.

Jury deliberating in Michael Dunn loud music shooting trial
OK, thanks for the info.

Harrier believes that the non-objective people who are ready to lynch Dunn will still raise the roof if he is not convicted of 1DM.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:44 PM

I think they will come back with second degree on the Davis charge, plus the three attempted manslaughter charges.

I could be wrong, but that is my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.