Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 05:54 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
In Florida, George is immune from a civil law suit.

The DOJ cannot do anything, because George was not a civil servant.
He is not immune yet, he would have to win it in a hearing where he would have to testify before a judge. Then if not granted and sued he would almost certainly have to testify again. Plus all that nasty stuff about Trayvon is gonna come out for the world to see. I suspect the parents might just be happy with the money they won from the County. Then again maybe not.

As far as the DOJ, I dont see that happening as the standard for a federal hate crime is too high and the prosecution didnt go that route in the trial as it really is a dead end.

Plus Obama has a lot of important crap to try and push through for his legacy and the DOJ going after Martin would most likely be a public relations nightmare and really tarnish his legacy which really is of nothing other than an unearned Shambell Peace Prize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 05:58 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I still dont see where they can win that case with this situation. Granted, if they get a liberal **** bag judge, perhaps, but per law alone they have no damn case. Unless of course, they plan on using NBC's edited tape as evidence.
They didn't have much to go on with Rodney King's case either. It's more a political tool unfortunately.

I doubt they will go after him though because his race. If he's white, he would be definitely sued and convicted. Remember democrats need votes from the Hispanic.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:01 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Zimmerman is not immune from civil suit. He has not had a "stand your ground" hearing that would protect him. He would have to testify, the rules of evidence are more loose and he might not prevail.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
George Zimmerman Could Face Civil Suits, Death Threats, Federal Prosecution

Old 07-14-2013, 06:20 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
These news stations should be heavily punished for committing acts like this.

they should be fined and NBC News should be taken off the air for a month.
Interesting case against this type of thing from a news station right in Florida:

successfully argued the First Amendment gives broadcasters the right to lie or deliberately distort news reports on the public airwaves.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:20 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
It's sort of sad to see what a low opinion ABC News has of the Trayvonistas. Seems pretty racist to assume that someone's life would be in danger after being exonerated of any wrongdoing in a court of law.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Zimmerman is not immune from civil suit. He has not had a "stand your ground" hearing that would protect him. He would have to testify, the rules of evidence are more loose and he might not prevail.

This was not even tried under stand your ground!
LOL! Really!

It was tried as murder and defended as self defense, not stand your ground.
Remember George waved SYG.

It cannot be tried as retaliation in civil court. Florida law.

Go Read Federal law 1983 and tell me if the DOJ is going to ponder using that law to go after civil rights actions... It has no teeth to bring it there, George was not and did not act as a civil servant.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:29 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Wonder if it's too late for Eric holder to go after the 10 black teenagers who attacked three white women while screaming racial remarks? They put the women in a hospital with one still undergoing reconstructive surgery while the trial was going on. Though found guilty, judge sentenced them to probation at home.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:32 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Good, hope he goes after CNN as well, for broadcasting his name, address, DOB and SS number. For lying about the jury testimony as to who John Good stated was on top in the fight. For lying about the "left his car after being told not to", which they are repeating even TODAY. These "news" stations are little more than pathetic LWNJ blogs, well capable of destroying someone's life.
Precedence for this type of law suit has been set in Florida. No Case.

Quote:
In February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with an assertion by FOX News that there is no rule against distorting or falsifying the news in the United States.
11. The Media Can Legally Lie - Project Censored | Project Censored

Too bad for the Zimmy. Fox news blew it for him!

Old 07-14-2013, 06:42 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,659 times
Quote:
I hope he is successful. I am so disgusted with our media today I cant even put into words how so. They are vile, disgusting, lying, corrupt, dirt bags. I hope to God he wins millions from them.

If anything, perhaps a win for him here will send a message to the media. Enough with your do anything to push your agenda bull ****.
Quote:
Well the DOJ is looking into it. Would you put it past them to break laws to get to him? I wouldnt. Holder is still their head guy, and he's a racist jerk.

I agree.

We can't trust the media or the racists in charge of this government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies