Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareWheel View Post
Secular humanism, Rationalism, (more Western Culture I guess, but still...), Blue Jeans, T-Shirts, Sloppy Joes, The Automobile! The Road Trip!
Movies! Wide Open Spaces, The American West! the English Language! Science, Space Flight! Innovation! Scholasticism!
Secular Humanism? I never associate the US with Secular Humanism. It's an extremely religious society. A secular, atheist POTUS would never be elected. They're trusted even less than radical Muslims.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:17 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Secular Humanism? I never associate the US with Secular Humanism. It's an extremely religious society. A secular, atheist POTUS would never be elected. They're trusted even less than radical Muslims.

Yeah, that one threw me for a loop too.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teofilo.sd View Post
Those are political issues.

I personally don't consider all governmental policies to be an accurate portrayal of a country's culture.

Political issues yes but they're relative. More and more Americans are surrendering their freedoms every day to the big brother police state. That's a fact.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,319,224 times
Many religious people don’t like atheists, and in fact would apparently rate them alongside rapists on levels of trust, suggests a new Canadian study that claims to be one of the first psychological probes into anti-atheist prejudice.
Researchers at the University of British Columbia and the University of Oregon conducted a series of studies that found a deep level of distrust toward those who don’t believe in God, deeming them to be among the least trusted people in the world — despite their growing ranks to an estimated half billion globally.
Atheists can not be trusted: Religious people rank non-believers alongside rapists, study | National Post

Old 07-14-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Awe can't have a thread without the negative nancies invading.

go to another thread and discuss your miserable lives there.

Miserable lives. I guess you subscribe to the ignorance is bliss way of living.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:20 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareWheel View Post
If so, what is that culture, and how do you preserve it?

Thanks.
IMO, America 'had' VALUES worth preserving. However, we seem to be doing our best to change ('progress'?) and eliminate them -- not preserve them. (Judeo-Christian heritage and values, individual liberty, property rights, family values, etc)

Maybe good to learn (from history) and discuss them - so they can be seen in contrast to 'the new normal'.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Many religious people don’t like atheists, and in fact would apparently rate them alongside rapists on levels of trust, suggests a new Canadian study that claims to be one of the first psychological probes into anti-atheist prejudice.
Researchers at the University of British Columbia and the University of Oregon conducted a series of studies that found a deep level of distrust toward those who don’t believe in God, deeming them to be among the least trusted people in the world — despite their growing ranks to an estimated half billion globally.
Atheists can not be trusted: Religious people rank non-believers alongside rapists, study | National Post

Eh the last time I checked the existence of a god still hadn't been proven or disproven. I have a deep distrust of those who believe in and trust the government.

Last edited by vter; 07-18-2013 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: language

Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 PM

15 posts, read 11,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
Eh the last time I checked the existence of a god still hadn't been proven or disproven. There is however ample evidence of the fact that the government will f*$% you in the a#@ every chance they get. I have a deep distrust of those who believe in and trust the government.
Now that's something I can 100% agree with.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:27 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,622 times
Native American cultures are worth preserving.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:29 PM

348 posts, read 336,610 times
Quote:
True, but that's because, I think, we're comparing the US with the rest of the western civilization.
I.e. Europe. Compared to the rest of the world....the US is very forward looking and secular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies