Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:48 AM

3,523 posts, read 3,728,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
That is true. But the whole point is that our government, you know--the one that was formed "by the people, for the people", that one? --has the power to track and record nearly every aspect of our personal lives for no particular purpose. And can now intrude on our lives so effectively that if someone thought it was important to find out what you sent your grandmother for her birthday, there are ways to do that. Disgusting.

And I think that is a little different from preventing us from using free USPS mail supplies with their competitors.
I guess I know why they are so utterly obsessed that you have to put a name on your package or they won't ship it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 09:50 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times
Quote:
I just read an article on NBC news that the privacy of US citizens (my description) is now being invaded by our government in a newly-disclosed way: All of our mail, sent and received, is being photographed and tracked (outside of envelopes, as I understand it.)

I'm gonna cry.

Government monitoring mail - Video on NBCNews.com

IMHO this is outrageous. What say you?
How else are they supposed to track letters with chemicals or bombs inside of them? You have to realize the seriousness of wanting to cause harm to someone by sending it through the mail.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:35 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,930,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
I guess I know why they are so utterly obsessed that you have to put a name on your package or they won't ship it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
How else are they supposed to track letters with chemicals or bombs inside of them? You have to realize the seriousness of wanting to cause harm to someone by sending it through the mail.
I would suggest reading through the posts carefully, at least once.

You are both missing the point.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,337 times
We seem to be losing our rights & liberties at an alarming rate these days.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
We seem to be losing our rights & liberties at an alarming rate these days.
Exactly.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I would suggest reading through the posts carefully, at least once.

You are both missing the point.
I read every post and missed nothing thank you. See Hawkeye2009's earlier post about his mail being snooped at and opened for postal inspection, {FOR YEARS}

And, it's not only the postal service that does this either, I can attest to that. Airlines do it, Fedex does it, UPS does it, they all snoop and want to know what people are or are not sending, especially international mail and shipments.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I read every post and missed nothing thank you. See Hawkeye2009's earlier post about his mail being snooped at and opened for postal inspection, {FOR YEARS}

And, it's not only the postal service that does this either, I can attest to that. Airlines do it, Fedex does it, UPS does it, they all snoop and want to know what people are or are not sending, especially international mail and shipments.
I don't mind any of the above sniffing for drugs or whatever. It's the cataloging of anyone's activities/mail that bothers me. It sounds ominously close to illegal searching.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:54 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Post Orwells world~

Quote:
I've read carefully through your post, and I believe the most succinct reply I can give is a quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin, correctly quoted or not:

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty."

Your references to the "hood" and Britain are cultural, societal effects. I don't see how intruding on the lives of innocent people "just in case" can apply.

I agree. red herriings about 'why' it must be done, are not good enough for me.
It is not bcs they "hate us for our freedoms" as we were sold The Patriot Act that brought us TSA and opened the doors for 24/7 surveillance.

"Big data"

About Narrative Science
Narrative Science is the leading provider of automated business analytics and natural language communication technology that helps organizations transform data into narrative insight. Its patented Artificial Intelligence engine, Quillâ„¢, automatically analyzes data and creates stories that are contextually relevant and personalized to any audience. Narratives can be produced in many formats, including business reports, articles, summaries, visualizations, headlines, and Tweets, allowing companies to improve decision-making, create new products, and optimize customer interactions. Solutions span multiple industries, including financial services, marketing and advertising services, research and information services, hospitality, government, education, and media and publishing. For more information, visit www.narrativescience.com.

We are being used as lab rats, basically.

Dont believe the msm script that this is just a maketing tool to sell junk.
This is way bigger.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I agree. red herriings about 'why' it must be done, are not good enough for me.
It is not bcs they "hate us for our freedoms" as we were sold The Patriot Act that brought us TSA and opened the doors for 24/7 surveillance.

"Big data"

About Narrative Science
Narrative Science is the leading provider of automated business analytics and natural language communication technology that helps organizations transform data into narrative insight. Its patented Artificial Intelligence engine, Quill™, automatically analyzes data and creates stories that are contextually relevant and personalized to any audience. Narratives can be produced in many formats, including business reports, articles, summaries, visualizations, headlines, and Tweets, allowing companies to improve decision-making, create new products, and optimize customer interactions. Solutions span multiple industries, including financial services, marketing and advertising services, research and information services, hospitality, government, education, and media and publishing. For more information, visit www.narrativescience.com.

We are being used as lab rats, basically.

Dont believe the msm script that this is just a maketing tool to sell junk.
This is way bigger.
I agree with what you have said. I wonder if real lab rats have much trouble getting some peace of mind? If it could be put that way!

Thanks for posting.

BTW I don't think this kind of activity is going to go on forever. Many people are fed up with the spying, and as the link tells us, lawsuits are already in the works. Time will tell.

Last edited by JoanD'Arc; 07-15-2013 at 07:32 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I don't mind any of the above sniffing for drugs or whatever. It's the cataloging of anyone's activities/mail that bothers me. It sounds ominously close to illegal searching.
No. When you send mail & packages through the USPS, UPS, Fedex, or any other carrier, you agree to their terms and conditions. When ever I have mailed parcels via USPS, I am always asked if there is anything fragile, liquid or hazardous in the content of the package.

Common carriers have always reserved the right to inspect cargo and the government reserves the right to inspect the carrier's cargo and the means in which the cargo is carried.

Allow me to expound upon this further:

In the months before and following 9/11/01, I was classified as a private common carrier. In picking up and delivering of expedited cargo with articles being of sensitive nature, {aircraft parts-electronics-computer parts-etc.} these items were visibly shown to me to be the contents of what I was carrying before items were loaded into my van. At the delivery points, my van's interior and exterior were inspected before I was allowed to enter the unloading area. These inspections occurred at government facilities and at airports, border crossings and privately owned companies with guarded trade secrets.

Previous to 9/11/01, none of these rigorous inspections took place, we live in a different world now where everything and everyone is thought to be suspicious.

I was not, and did not have any part in the story of this link below, it is an example of stepped up actions by CBP agents.
Hundreds of counterfeit guitars seized at O'Hare mail facility | abc7chicago.com

Pre 9/11/01, postal package were inspected only randomly, more scrutiny of a package's contents has evolved into what people might see as overboard or excessive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies