Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:00 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
If he was paying child support it wouldn't have been suspended. Most of the time the state only takes actions like that if the child is receiving government assistance. And if he has a court order to pay child support and is giving her cash or items without keeping receipts then he's an idiot. I mean really who has sympathy for someone who makes a baby and then doesn't financially support it? So now you can't drive around; life sucks, eh?
Keeping receipts would do you no good, since most of the states consider every payment and/or item that doesn't go through their child support bureaucracy to be a gift to a mother/child, receipt or no receipt. Gifts don't count towards your child support obligations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 03:13 PM

569 posts, read 671,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
The beauty of it is that I qualify for merit based scholarship that will cover 80% of my tuition so I am a okay with it plus I really want to practice law. It is what I want to do.

Congrats! Not easy. Good luck. What type of law? Sorry for jumping in but wanted to congratulate you.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:15 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Took his driver's license away you say? Seems like a good start.
He should have made her had an abortion, that would have been a better start. No kid, no child support payment. Better world.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
This.

Unfortunately I became a single parent last Summer after her father decided to walk out. He filed for full custody saying I was unfit (LOL) and it all became a circus once his family found out he had been lying to them and he refused to keep a job for more than a few weeks at a time. Case in point: I had to go back to work 2 weeks after having a c-section because he decided it would be a good idea to quit the job (he had just started) the week before our daughter was born.

He has been ordered to pay CS - $330 a month with a $50 arreage to make up for the months he didn't pay between the time he moved out and the hearing we had. So far he is 9 months behind. Isn't that awesome?
I have gone without a lot for myself including food so my daughter can eat. I live paycheck to paycheck and I can't cut any more expenses; my phone is the only luxury I have. Can't forget the last time I spent $5 on something for me. Because I know any money I spend on stuff I don't need is taking away from something she needs.

Meanwhile father of the year got on with his life and spends his money on going out to eat 3 times a day, arcades, guns and ammo, movies... And the list goes on. He can easily blow through 3 grand over a 2 week period which he has done and I have proof. Never mind that he has 2 sources of income and never informed the court of that. Thankfully we have a hearing coming up and hopefully something will be done about it.

See, I have known him for 7 years now and he was very good at hiding his true self otherwise there is no way in hell I would have had a child with him. He duped his own family and friends and now that everyone knows the kind of person he is, he has refused to acknowledge their existence - except for his mom who thinks her son can do no wrong.

People have no idea how hard it is tryin to make ends meet as a single parent. On top of that I go to school full-time and will be going to law school once I finish my Bachelors because I refuse to live in poverty and I want to give my daughter the best of everything. I am glad she is only 2 and probably won't remember all of our struggles. She deserves so much better than what I am able to give her now but I do the best I can since the other party just doesn't care about her at all.
You picked that guy to father your child and still it's not your fault. It's never woman' fault, ever. Face it, that's the kind of the guys you truly like, so why to badmouth your mirror reflection? One of these days you'll find a "dependable", financially secure work horse for a man, but he'll never be a guy who gets your juices flowing, so to speak .

Old 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Keeping receipts would do you no good, since most of the states consider every payment and/or item that doesn't go through their child support bureaucracy to be a gift to a mother/child, receipt or no receipt. Gifts don't count towards your child support obligations.
Don't know what state you live in but my brother went through this in Florida. He was giving her money every two weeks and when went to court, he took his money order receipts with him and they counted it as payments. It also prevented her from getting arrears for the time they'd been separated. If he hadn't had proof that he'd be actively contributing they were going to try to backdate the child support 8 months from the date she filed the paperwork. He had to fill out a form for Direct Pay. After that though he just paid through the courts; it was easier and he didn't have to worry about the courts thinking he missed a payment.

But you are right; items wouldn't be considered child support payments but it does show that you are actively involved in taking care of the child, which is one of the questions they ask when they do the original order. What I've seen mostly is that the noncustodial parent doesn't show up and then they try to get things changed AFTER the fact, especially after they've gotten behind on payments.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:21 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Yes your license will still work as an id and if it expires you can get a new ID (it will not be a driver's license.) Looking at your posts it seems like you're looking at the situation in reverse. These things don't occur to prevent a person from earning money to pay child support; these things happen as a result of a person CHOOSING not to pay child support.

If the noncustodial parent doesn't have the ability to pay (no income or minimal income) it is their responsibility to go to the court and PROVE that they don't have the ability to pay. If they feel the support order is unfair and unreasonable BASED ON THEIR ABILITY TO PAY then it is their responsibility to go to the court and PROVE why its unfair and unreasonable...but in most cases the noncustodial parent just decides "I'm not going to pay this much because X,Y,Z" and then the state takes steps such as suspending your license, throwing you in jail, blocking your passport, etc.

If you don't pay for your obligations there are consequences.

If your license is suspended and you can't get to work and you are fired, how do you 'prove' that you don't have the ability to pay? How do you prove that you have no income? I disagree with the formula used to determine fair and reasonable, so I would probably have a problem with most calculations.

Consider hypothetical rent of $500 for a 1BR apt and $600 for a 2BR apt. The custodial parent is usually considered to be providing $300 housing support - and therefore getting a $200 personal subsidy - rather than the $100 marginal cost of the child's bedroom.

And if the deadbeat isn't the father is he still a deadbeat?

Old 07-16-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then move.
Geez, people need to take responsibility for themselves and stop blaming others.

Now the above is brilliant. The cost of moving is not trivial, and can often be several thousand dollars (app fees, deposits, first and last month's rent etc). A person with a child support obligation might be not be able to afford to move after meeting their obligation, and might not be able to finance a move through borrowing. Somehow I doubt a court would reduce payments temporarily in order to allow him to afford to move.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:32 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If your license is suspended and you can't get to work and you are fired, how do you 'prove' that you don't have the ability to pay? How do you prove that you have no income? I disagree with the formula used to determine fair and reasonable, so I would probably have a problem with most calculations.

Consider hypothetical rent of $500 for a 1BR apt and $600 for a 2BR apt. The custodial parent is usually considered to be providing $300 housing support - and therefore getting a $200 personal subsidy - rather than the $100 marginal cost of the child's bedroom.

And if the deadbeat isn't the father is he still a deadbeat?
What are you talking about? Child support is calculated using formulas that vary by states, but which normally come out to 20% for the first kid. It is a flat rate, the cost of raising the kid doesn't come into play at all in most cases. If you make $1000 a month then you will pay $200/month in CS and if you make $5000/month then you will pay $1000 a month.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Yes your license will still work as an id and if it expires you can get a new ID (it will not be a driver's license.) Looking at your posts it seems like you're looking at the situation in reverse. These things don't occur to prevent a person from earning money to pay child support; these things happen as a result of a person CHOOSING not to pay child support.

If the noncustodial parent doesn't have the ability to pay (no income or minimal income) it is their responsibility to go to the court and PROVE that they don't have the ability to pay. If they feel the support order is unfair and unreasonable BASED ON THEIR ABILITY TO PAY then it is their responsibility to go to the court and PROVE why its unfair and unreasonable...but in most cases the noncustodial parent just decides "I'm not going to pay this much because X,Y,Z" and then the state takes steps such as suspending your license, throwing you in jail, blocking your passport, etc.

If you don't pay for your obligations there are consequences.

So if you renew your suspended-license-which-now-is-only-ID, do you have to go through all the 'new driver' hoops (road test etc) when you regain eligibility?

Old 07-16-2013, 04:38 PM

This happens to many truck drivers, and frequently it's because of some sort of the clerical error since many states have a software that suspends licenses automatically. Cops pull a guy over or do a DOT inspection on him, run his CDL and it's suspended, the guy could be 2000 miles away from home and he can't drive a truck (or anything else), if it's a company truck, it hits your pocket bad, you are most likely to lose your job, but it's manageable. If you are an owner operator and you are stopped around NYC, for example, towing and storage bills can run into tens of thousand$, then you need you find your way home and back (without a driver license). One screw up like this and you will never recover financially, as always, state is not responsible for the losses. Automatic suspension of licenses is pure idiocy, it doesn't improve kid' life - that's for sure, but it's easy to implement, bureaucratically speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies