Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 05:16 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,373,749 times

Advertisements

Driving isn't a right, it's a privilege. And your "friend" is a ****ing deadbeat loser. And I'm a man, who actually pays his child support. I'm sick of other people making us look bad.

You made the kid, you suffer the consequences. You either raise it,or you pay for it. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 05:23 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Your kids = Your responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Joe View Post
I just had somebody I know that told me his drivers license was suspended over child support. I can hardly believe that! I always thought a drivers license could only be suspended for traffic violations. How is child support even remotely related to a drivers license? Seems to me his rights are being violated because driving is a right or it should be. How is he supposed to work and earn a living or money to even begin to pay whatever child support he owes if he cannot drive to work? I told him he ought to see a lawyer because that doesn't sound right to me

I have zero sympathy for jerks who don't pay their child support and then leave it to taxpayers to pick up the slack.

Many states will now suspend any type of state issued license for deadbeats. As they should.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? what if there is no bus to take?
Quote:
how does someone pay if they can't get to work and end up in jail and have no income? what should they do if the support order is unfair and unreasonable and they can't afford a lawyer?
Quote:
I hover around the poverty line, how poor does that make me? Obviously both parents should pay on the basis of ability to pay.
Quote:
If I were in that position I wouldn't be able to afford a lawyer. Justice in this country is a commodity for sale to those who can afford it.
Quote:
??? no income = no ability to pay. if the deadbeat isn't the father are they still a deadbeat?
Quote:
If it's suspended, does it still qualify as photo ID? What if it expires while suspended, how can you renew it? Do other things - besides car insurance which you presumably won't carry while suspended - become more expensive because your license is suspended? Won't your car insurance rates necessarily skyrocket when you get your (unsuspended) license back?
Yes your license will still work as an id and if it expires you can get a new ID (it will not be a driver's license.) Looking at your posts it seems like you're looking at the situation in reverse. These things don't occur to prevent a person from earning money to pay child support; these things happen as a result of a person CHOOSING not to pay child support.

If the noncustodial parent doesn't have the ability to pay (no income or minimal income) it is their responsibility to go to the court and PROVE that they don't have the ability to pay. If they feel the support order is unfair and unreasonable BASED ON THEIR ABILITY TO PAY then it is their responsibility to go to the court and PROVE why its unfair and unreasonable...but in most cases the noncustodial parent just decides "I'm not going to pay this much because X,Y,Z" and then the state takes steps such as suspending your license, throwing you in jail, blocking your passport, etc.

If you don't pay for your obligations there are consequences.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingforperfectplace View Post
Yes the idiots that run our governments do this. Happened to my brother and then they whine when he cant find work to pay the child support for the child his ex refuses to let him see....oh and the courts are so biased against the fathers they force you to pay for the child but refuse to give you visitation. Its real wonderful when the mother then loses custody due to a drug addiction...
Child Support and Visitation are two separate things; they are not tied together.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:00 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookingforperfectplace View Post
Yes the idiots that run our governments do this. Happened to my brother and then they whine when he cant find work to pay the child support for the child his ex refuses to let him see....oh and the courts are so biased against the fathers they force you to pay for the child but refuse to give you visitation. Its real wonderful when the mother then loses custody due to a drug addiction...
Family courts are extremely flawed. Seems like most people, obviously female or liberal, see nothing wrong with the corruption and injustices in family courts.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:03 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno Joe View Post
I just had somebody I know that told me his drivers license was suspended over child support. I can hardly believe that! I always thought a drivers license could only be suspended for traffic violations. How is child support even remotely related to a drivers license? Seems to me his rights are being violated because driving is a right or it should be. How is he supposed to work and earn a living or money to even begin to pay whatever child support he owes if he cannot drive to work? I told him he ought to see a lawyer because that doesn't sound right to me
Incorrect. Driving is not a right. Work to change the laws in your state.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:52 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
I know a guy in my friend's Nursing class that had his license taken for the same reason. He had to quit working to go back to school to get a Nursing degree. His x wife would not take less child support (1 child), for 2 years, and then pay it back. He was doing the right thing by trying to get a much better paying job but his x wife did not care. The state should make exceptions, but there is none. He took the bus and had friends help him. He just graduated and is making up the back payments.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:02 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
You know what I learn from stories like this? Be careful who you sleep with and always use protection. I'm not trying to pay a momthly child support payment for 18 years.
Eighteen years? Try more like 21-23 years in some states!

IMO, that's crappy. Child support is for CHILDREN, not young adults.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:25 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
As other posters pointed out this is legitimate. If he continues to not pay he will end up in jail and they will keep him there until he pays.
Only politicians and idiots think that makes any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well that makes all kinds of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well jailing somebody until they repay is expecting the impossible isn't it? Unless they run a serious drug ring in the prison they aint gonna be pulling down any money.

Quote:
If I were in that position I wouldn't be able to afford a lawyer. Justice in this country is a commodity for sale to those who can afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Child Support and Visitation are two separate things; they are not tied together.
In some states they are. If the custodial parent willfully ignores the custody agreement and is proven to be willful and contemptive of court, then the child support can be amended and in some cases revoked.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:49 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I know a guy in my friend's Nursing class that had his license taken for the same reason. He had to quit working to go back to school to get a Nursing degree. His x wife would not take less child support (1 child), for 2 years, and then pay it back. He was doing the right thing by trying to get a much better paying job but his x wife did not care. The state should make exceptions, but there is none. He took the bus and had friends help him. He just graduated and is making up the back payments.
I always wonder about stories like this. How well did you know this guy in your friend's nursing class?

How do you know the ex-wife didn't care? Did you actually hear her say "I don't care what you're trying to do I'm not taking less." How do you know it was that she couldn't afford to take less?

It's not like she can go to the kid and say "hey I know you're hungry but your Dad is doing the right thing by trying to get a much better paying job so you'll be able to eat in a few years ok? Just hold tight."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies