Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 06:35 PM

17,317 posts, read 9,130,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The HOA can sue Zimmerman too. His reckless actions cost them a million bucks they may be able to recover. As for why bother? Justice demands that this racist vigilante suffer for his crime. Endless lawsuits, hiding in fear of his life, his wife in the pokey - karma.
The Insurance company for the HOA settled a lawsuit with the Martins because it was cheaper than seeing the property burned down or going to court.

Karma is going to be for the Zimmerman Attorneys to sue NBC and the State Special Prosecutor for this circus of a trial. If the Martins want to bring a Civil Suit against Zimmerman, they are already on notice about how that will work out and they could lose the Million+ they already received from the HOA.

There was a Trial by Jury - they acquitted George Zimmerman of both Murder in the 2nd degree and all lessor charges - that entire trial was Televised. There is no excuse for people not understanding what took place. The FBI did an investigation at the direction of the DOJ and found ZERO evidence of "racist" profiling on Zimmerman's part. Holder will do nothing, because there is nothing there. The Florida Stand Your Ground Law was not an issue in this case - Zimmerman's defense was "self defense" because Martin was on top of him and beating his head against the ground.

This is over. If they want to continue, then they should remember the other "race bait" cases and how they turned out. I'll grant you that George Zimmerman will be in fear of his life for the rest of his days - it's the New Normal under our "changed America".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 06:36 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,007,463 times
I wouldnt have given them a dime. Their son assaulted someone and they get to sue? Hell with that.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,770,399 times
They don't deserve a penny.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:43 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,018,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I wouldnt have given them a dime. Their son assaulted someone and they get to sue? Hell with that.
Nah, The Homeowners Association allowed a screw-up that didn't even know the names of their streets to patrol their property, so I say good for Trayvon Martin's parents to hold them somewhat culpable.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Check out the media today, check out the Tweets and Facebook comments .... how about stuff like "the jurors should go home and kill themselves". At the cost of court trials and Lawyers + the danger of Mobs destroying and burning your property ..... handing over a Million dollars is cheap.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:49 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,373,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Check out the media today, check out the Tweets and Facebook comments .... how about stuff like "the jurors should go home and kill themselves". At the cost of court trials and Lawyers + the danger of Mobs destroying and burning your property ..... handing over a Million dollars is cheap.
Let's be honest though - social media works both ways. Have you seen some of the terrible thing said about Martin and his family?

It should ALL stop - from those who supported Martin and those who supported Zimmerman.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Zimmerman didn't claim anything. It was up to the state to prove their charges of 2nd degree murder or manslaughter
This was one of the most unusual cases I've ever watched. It's normal for the State to prove guilt for a conviction. It's normal for the Defense to plea a Murder Charge down to Manslaughter. It's normal for the State to try and protect the Jurors. It's normal for the Defense to use Emotionalism instead of Facts when their case is going badly.

In this case ......
The Defense had to prove innocence - the State had no case for guilt at all & their witnesses were abysmal.
The State could not prove guilt and went for the Emotionalism -"Martin died because Zim wanted to Kill him".
The Defense tried to protect the identity of Jurors. Leftists didn't want the Jury sequestered.
The State did the reduction in Charges because they knew they had not proved the initial charge.
The State cancelled the Grand Jury hearing and went straight to a Murder 2 Charge.

The Judge was openly hostile to the Defense and the Defense still won the case. Very unusual case.
I've never seen anything like it.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:51 PM

408 posts, read 213,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Nah, The Homeowners Association allowed a screw-up that didn't even know the names of their streets to patrol their property, so I say good for Trayvon Martin's parents to hold them somewhat culpable.
Zimmerman's gated community is a model of CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design) which features a design layout with minimal entrances and long sight-ways that puts residents in a position to observe intruders. A primary intent of the design is to provide opportunities to see and be seen, to identify those who don't belong.

The town of Sanford and other Florida towns encourage this.
Quote:
Crime Prevention: City of Sanford

Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design

Commonly known as CPTED, (pronounced “septed”) it is a pro-active crime prevention strategy utilized by law enforcement agencies, planners, architects, security professionals and everyday citizens.

CPTED operates on the belief that the proper design and effective use of the built environment that can lead to a reduction in the fear and incidence of crime, and an improvement of the quality of life. The goal of CPTED is to reduce opportunities for crime that may be inherent in the design of structures or in the design of neighborhoods. Applying CPTED starts by asking what are the designated purposes of the space, how is the space defined and how well does the physical design support the intended function? Only then, can effective design or problem solving begin.

There are four underlying CPTED concepts:

1. Natural Surveillance
  2. Natural Access Control
  3. Territorial Reinforcement
  4. Maintenance

The Sanford Police Department can conduct a security inspection using CPTED concepts.
Sanford doesn't go into detail of these concepts but the City of St. Petersburg Police Department does. "Territorial Reinforcement" has some interesting principles:
"An environment designed to clearly delineate private space does two things. First, it creates a sense of ownership. Owners have a vested interest and are more likely to challenge intruders or report them to the police. Second, the sense of owned space creates an environment where "strangers" or "intruders" stand out and are more easily identified."
Seems like the HA settled because it feared higher civil exposure (at trial) since the development functioned exactly as planned, to profile suspicious people.

Something to make you go hmmmmm . . . CPTED is endorsed by DoJ / COPS (941kb pdf) . . .

Old 07-16-2013, 02:32 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,838,370 times
Looks like their taking everyone and anyone to court that they possibly can. Figures, even they are exploiting their own childs death. The level some people will go to not have to work another day in their life never fails to amaze me.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:35 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,120,650 times
What's wrong with this picture? If my son were murdered because he attacked someone and they killed him self defense, I would be devastated at the loss of my son. But I have some character. I would apologize to the person he attacked and that person's family, and there is no way I would sue for "wrongful death."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies